GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Dealer Lists; Mod Friendly or UnFriendly - as reported by our members

flygti2013

Ready to race!
Al Serra VW in Colorado Springs, Colorado - not mod friendly

I baby my car and I'm modding it to autocross, have had it for years and haven't even had the time to do it.

I went to watch the Pikes peak hill climb and was staying at a friends house (i live in NM). He also works at a import/exotic shop that is an APR dealer. So while i was up there i decided to bite the bullet and get the car tuned. after the tune i drove 2 city blocks at about 30mph, get to the second stop sign and my flywheel takes a dump (there are MANY threads about this, 99% of them covered under warranty). the shop recommends Al serra VW and since the car was under 30000 miles and after a few quick google searches that it was a covered item i got it towed there.

they did not cover the car under warranty because my car was tuned for literally 5 minutes, i had an intake, and other mods. voicing the concern that if VWOA found out they did it under warranty it would be their heads. soooo about $2k later PLUS rental car for a week to get back to NM i received my car....not even a wash, the interior was covered in dirt, my tyrolsport shim kit washers where installed backwards, and i was boned with the bill. knowing all this i would have PUSHED my car anywhere else then take it to them. OH and when i voiced concerned about my 6 hr drive back home and the new clutch the tech smiled, chuckled, and said and i quote "don't worry i broke it in nice" implying he was driving it improperly IMO.

avoid Al Serra VW.

Last edited:

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
Al Serra VW in Colorado Springs, Colorado - not mod friendly

I baby my car and I'm modding it to autocross, have had it for years and haven't even had the time to do it.

I went to watch the Pikes peak hill climb and was staying at a friends house (i live in NM). He also works at a import/exotic shop that is an APR dealer. So while i was up there i decided to bite the bullet and get the car tuned. after the tune i drove 2 city blocks at about 30mph, get to the second stop sign and my flywheel spring takes a dump (there are MANY threads about this, 99% of them covered under warranty). the shop recommends Al serra VW and since the car was under 30000 miles and haver a few quick google searches that it was a covered item i got it towed there.

they did not cover the car under warranty because my car was tuned for literally 5 minutes, i had an intake, and other mods. voicing the concern that if VWOA found out they did it under warranty it would be their heads. soooo about $2k later PLUS rental car for a week to get back to NM i received my car....not even a wash, the interior was covered in dirt, my tyrolsport shim kit washers where installed backwards, and i was boned with the bill. knowing all this i would have PUSHED my car anywhere else then take it to them. OH and when i voiced concerned about my 6 hr drive back home and the new clutch the tech smiled, chuckled, and said and i quote "done worry i broke it in nice" implying he was driving it improperly IMO.

avoid Al Serra VW.

What a prick, adding insult to injury like that. Sorry man. Thanks for sharing though.

Labbatt33

Ready to race!
definitely avoid Schmitt's Audi Volkswagen of Buffalo, NY. They tell you in very plain language that they will not tolerate mods and that your warranty is void. I bought the car from them but wont ever go back.
Now i drive 45 minutes to VW of ORCHARD PARK, NY, an APR dealer that flashed my car. they have the most amazing service department with competent, knowledgeable techs and parts guys that all have mods on their vehicles and give you straight answers on everything. Ill buy my mk7 from them 100%

VW of OP is not an APR dealer anymore and I can say they're service department has gone way down hill recently. Basil VW in Lockport, NY is on the nice list and they have no problem with modded cars.

drodrigues09

Ready to race!
Jack Daniels Volkswagen in Fair Lawn, New Jersey is mod friendly. I got my APR tune done there. Less than 5 minutes away from my house. They still honor all of my warranties. They are very friendly. :)
They do APR Tunes there??? I drive past there everyday for school. If i had known i woulf have got my tune already! How much they charge you if you dont mind me asking?

honda2vw

Ready to race!
They do APR Tunes there??? I drive past there everyday for school. If i had known i woulf have got my tune already! How much they charge you if you dont mind me asking?

No labor and regular APR pricing. Wait for a seasonal sale. Hell my friend even got a loaner car while they tuned his ride. This was when they had to bench flash but now they port flash so it should be alot quicker.

drodrigues09

Ready to race!
No labor and regular APR pricing. Wait for a seasonal sale. Hell my friend even got a loaner car while they tuned his ride. This was when they had to bench flash but now they port flash so it should be alot quicker.
I cant believe i wasnt aware sooner lol

drewmtb1

Ready to race!
Atlantic VW of West Islip, NY is mod friendly I know others that use them. They have never given me a problem about my tune,intake, or other mods. Nice guys also.

Donaldsons VW Sayville,NY told me on the phone they wouldn't service a modified car. This seems to be a new rule. I've used them on and off for 10+ years. Good service department but a bit expensive. Also took my wifes Subaru to them.

Smithtown VW Smithtown,NY I know someone who worked here and if you do they will mostly look the other way when it comes to your mods. Everyone else I know has had trouble with them. Their service department is terrible. I have never had a major service performed by them and not had a problem with it.

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
Atlantic VW of West Islip, NY is mod friendly I know others that use them. They have never given me a problem about my tune,intake, or other mods. Nice guys also.

Donaldsons VW Sayville,NY told me on the phone they wouldn't service a modified car. This seems to be a new rule. I've used them on and off for 10+ years. Good service department but a bit expensive. Also took my wifes Subaru to them.

Smithtown VW Smithtown,NY I know someone who worked here and if you do they will mostly look the other way when it comes to your mods. Everyone else I know has had trouble with them. Their service department is terrible. I have never had a major service performed by them and not had a problem with it.

Added

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
VW of OP is not an APR dealer anymore and I can say they're service department has gone way down hill recently. Basil VW in Lockport, NY is on the nice list and they have no problem with modded cars.

VW of Orchard Park is an APR dealer again. And they got a couple new service guys that are really knowledgable. I think they're top notch.

dead_catz

Ready to race!
Garlyn Shelton vw of college station tx asked if I was tuned assuring me they don't care they just don't want to accidentally overwrite my tune. they wouldn't cover my 02 sensor failure bcause of down pipe when I have seen other dealers on here would. so yea they would service my modded car for 480.00 for a 80$ part and 3 minutes labor. I get shifty vibes from them for sure.

Last edited:

Andrew429

Ready to race!

both v-dub of orchard park and basil are great, i had my water pump changed at orchard park and they were great and the guys at basil are great as well. i heard a lot of people from orchard park transferred to basil which is why they are mod friendly

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
Dorschel VW in Rochester, NY is mod friendly and is where my car is right now getting warranty work done.

Dick Ide VW in Rochester, NY is also mod friendly however, the service manager is a complete dick and starting yelling at me at the service counter for asking why my car with 36,500 miles would not be considered for warranty work for a suspension noise. Even though I brought the car to them and reported the issue at 35,000 miles. He said they could never hear the noise before 36,000 miles, therefore not covered after.

One quick email to VWofA and Dorschel is now taking care of the suspension noise under the 36,000 mile warranty. I would avoid Dick Ide if you can but if you have to go there, they are mod friendly.

mikeleemk6

Go Kart Champion
Lakeland VW in Lakeland FL is mod friendly. I have a bagged stage 2 GTI and the service guys are awesome. Have had several water pumps changed, suspension dialed in, and other misc service performed with no issues.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Dorschel VW in Rochester, NY is mod friendly and is where my car is right now getting warranty work done.

Dick Ide VW in Rochester, NY is also mod friendly however, the service manager is a complete dick and starting yelling at me at the service counter for asking why my car with 36,500 miles would not be considered for warranty work for a suspension noise. Even though I brought the car to them and reported the issue at 35,000 miles. He said they could never hear the noise before 36,000 miles, therefore not covered after.

One quick email to VWofA and Dorschel is now taking care of the suspension noise under the 36,000 mile warranty. I would avoid Dick Ide if you can but if you have to go there, they are mod friendly.

Heh dick ide