GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intermittent shaking at idle?

TakmaN

Ready to race!
I noticed some light intermittent shaking at idle like when I'm sitting stopped at a light. Sometimes its pretty noticeable and can feel a small shake throughout my seat/car and other times it's barely there at all.

I'm bone stock engine wise and sitting at almost 86K miles. Recently had carbon cleaning done, new fuel filter, spark plugs (went with NGK ones that are a step colder as I've been debating going Stage 1).

I didn't notice as much shaking at idle before I had the above work done but did have really bad shaking on cold starts which is now much milder but still there on the occasional cold start.

Any items I should consider replacing? I have R8 coilpacks which I haven't installed. Not sure if I should replace the NGK spark plugs back to OEM since I probably won't go stage 1?

ralphykid67

Ready to race!
Thread jack: I had what appeared to be a misfire the other day. Haven't got the code yet.

Stock besides CAI and R8 coilpacks. Stock spark plugs.

How long does the code remain in the ECU for me to run?

Also- Should I change my spark plugs? I'm at 30k now.

Thanks BROS

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I noticed some light intermittent shaking at idle like when I'm sitting stopped at a light. Sometimes its pretty noticeable and can feel a small shake throughout my seat/car and other times it's barely there at all.

I'm bone stock engine wise and sitting at almost 86K miles. Recently had carbon cleaning done, new fuel filter, spark plugs (went with NGK ones that are a step colder as I've been debating going Stage 1).

I didn't notice as much shaking at idle before I had the above work done but did have really bad shaking on cold starts which is now much milder but still there on the occasional cold start.

Any items I should consider replacing? I have R8 coilpacks which I haven't installed. Not sure if I should replace the NGK spark plugs back to OEM since I probably won't go stage 1?

I would of put my money on carbon cleaning as that was the suspect on my old 06 Toy Matrix which caused the car to shake. After getting that cleaned up at Toyota, car felt new again, but since you already said you did that...

matt63

My '12 Gti has done this since i got it at 8k miles.
I'm at around 40k now.

random times it will have a slight irregular shake at idle or cold start. but sometimes its not even there (like when i bring it into the shop to diagnose)

I should also note mine was reconstructed at 7k miles. but no problems besides this which i just kinda ignore now.

While I've had live data hooked up to my car i didn't notice any RPM change or anything else weird.

even had a camera in there to look at valves.

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
How much did that carbon cleaning run you? And if you're out on my side of town, I can scan your car and see if there are any intermittent misfires.

drewmtb1

Ready to race!
Make sure the coils are all seated properly.

Why did you change plugs for stage 1?? I have been using the stock plugs and I'm stage 1 . I have had no problems with the stock plugs for 30k.

I would go back to stock plugs and if that doesn't fix it try the new coils. If you haven't done coils you are probably due either way.

TakmaN

Ready to race!
I'll have to check what plugs exactly were used but I believe they are NGK's which I've read that even though they run a step colder, should be fine for a stock engine.

I had the work done at AU Tuning as well and they said I should be fine. I'll try replacing all 4 coil packs with the red top R8 ones which I've had sitting around.

The shaking isn't bad by any means but I can feel it here and there maybe 70% of the time I'm idling at a stop. Maybe 30% of the time I'll get shaking on a cold start up (although not nearly as bad as before I had my valves cleaned).

ralphykid67

Ready to race!
Thread jack: I had what appeared to be a misfire the other day. Haven't got the code yet.

Stock besides CAI and R8 coilpacks. Stock spark plugs.

How long does the code remain in the ECU for me to run?

Also- Should I change my spark plugs? I'm at 30k now.

Thanks BROS

Anyone? I find it odd that I got a misfire while running R8 coilpacks and am still paranoid. Hasn't happened since (that was Sunday).