GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First VW!

feedingthesickness

Ready to race!
Moved over from a 12 Civic Coupe to this 12 CW Golf R. Love the change! Only bad thing so far is the car came with brand new PS A/S 3s and the front left stepped on 2 nails after i put 250 miles on them! $230 down the drain man.

Attachments

• 20150803_102902s.jpg
    20150803_102902s.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 405

tjasko

Go Kart Champion
Slick! Take well care of it and have fun driving it hard; that's one hell of a upgrade! ;)

feedingthesickness

Ready to race!
So after reading on the forums a bit it seems the cam follower is one thing to keep an eye on. I'm at 23k miles, bought at 21k, you guys think checking it at 30k is safe? What else should be monitored on the R?

vizzlebizzle

Passed Driver's Ed
that's the biggest thing. is the car stock? nothing in your sig and you didn't mention any mods in the first post. if it's factory, you'll be fine checking it at 30k. i bought mine at 26k and didn't change it until i went stage 2 at around 33-34k (i checked it prior to that, however). make sure to do your haldex service as well when the time comes (30k).

also, i'm no expert but you may wanna check your mfg date and make sure that it wasn't involved in water pump recall. i think build dates up until march or april 2012 fell under the recall, but i'm not 100% certain on that. someone may wanna clarify

feedingthesickness

Ready to race!
that's the biggest thing. is the car stock? nothing in your sig and you didn't mention any mods in the first post. if it's factory, you'll be fine checking it at 30k. i bought mine at 26k and didn't change it until i went stage 2 at around 33-34k (i checked it prior to that, however). make sure to do your haldex service as well when the time comes (30k).

also, i'm no expert but you may wanna check your mfg date and make sure that it wasn't involved in water pump recall. i think build dates up until march or april 2012 fell under the recall, but i'm not 100% certain on that. someone may wanna clarify

Stock. And what's the haldex service? Im really brand new to this so no idea lol. I also searched the VIN on the recall site a while back but it didnt show up for eligibility

vizzlebizzle

Passed Driver's Ed
haldex is basically your awd system. once you hit 30k you should swing it by a dealership you trust so they can perform the 30k service, which includes changing the oil and filter for the awd system. ideally this should be performed every 30k miles.

feedingthesickness

Ready to race!
haldex is basically your awd system. once you hit 30k you should swing it by a dealership you trust so they can perform the 30k service, which includes changing the oil and filter for the awd system. ideally this should be performed every 30k miles.

How much does this run usually? And is it cheaper and easier just to DIY?

vizzlebizzle

Passed Driver's Ed
How much does this run usually? And is it cheaper and easier just to DIY?

your 30k service should be covered under the factory warranty. not positive how much it runs afterwards, but there certainly are DIY threads available if you decide to tackle it yourself in the future. i guess the filter for the haldex is a bit of a pain in the ass to replace, but otherwise it seems pretty straightforward depending on your abilities.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
Not for at least a year if I even do it. Probably will be stock for a long while

You can wait a while, but you really should do it eventually. You will REALLY miss out -- you miss out FAR more than with a GTI. R is slow stock. Stage 1 is a gigantic difference.