GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So what did the dealer do to my 2013 R?

wik

Made my first trip to a local VW dealer last Wednesday, at 15,500 miles, and they performed a 10,000 service, which I understand was basically an oil change, cabin air filter, and some other warranty and safety checks. Nothing too exotic or time consuming. It took an hour. I told the service manager to skip the tire rotation since I use winter tires. Of course, VW paid for the service.

I had earlier changed the oil at my expense with Mobil 1 at a fast lube independent shop at 1,000 miles and 10,000 miles.

I drove my other car on Thursday and Friday on a business trip out of town. Didn't want to put 300+ miles on the R.

Today, I drove the R for the first time since the service and had my first ever check engine light come on.

The CEL was not on Wednesday on my way home from the dealer, a 20 mile trip mostly at highway speeds.

Any clue what they did? I wonder if it might somehow be related to the APR stage one chip I had installed at about 7,500 miles. (no other mods other than cosmetic) Is there a delay fault code being sent after the tech at the dealership hooked up his stuff that has not tripped the CEL?

I guess I need to go back there again on Monday, which is kind of a pain. Not happy with the dealer at this point. Any advice? Love the car, and this could just be sloppy work by the tech in the service bay. Or something else?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Could be anything, really. I'd try to get it scanned by a fell enthusiast first, to see what CEL it is throwing exactly, and then go from there.

wik

Since I'm new in the area, don't know any other VW guys locally yet, but there is an Advance Auto near my house. Thanks for the heads-up on that! Had no idea they do that.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah just look at nearby corporate OR mom-and-pop car shops that advertise free CEL scanning.

wik

Advance Auto checked my CEL this morning and said I had a 507 (idle air control) and a 171 (system lean) fault. I guess it's back to the dealership for me since the car is still under warranty to get these fixed. Just as you suggested, probably not related to the service work (oil change) done at the dealer last week, or the APR stage one chip, just a coincidence. Weird timing though.

wik

Advance Auto checked my CEL this morning and said I had a 507 (idle air control) and a 171 (system lean) fault. I guess it's back to the dealership for me since the car is still under warranty to get these fixed. Just as you suggested, probably not related to the service work (oil change) done at the dealer last week, or the APR stage one chip, just a coincidence. Weird timing though.

bebersol

Ready to race!
almost sounds like a fuel trim issue, did they replace the air filter or maybe you have an air-leak on the intake side.

wik

This is a little bizarre, but dealer's tech showed me where a mouse evidently chewed some wires and that caused the fault codes. Unfortunately, that little rodent's appetite cost me nearly $200 and four hours of time. We will see how he likes the five traps I set up in the garage. CEL is now out, and my wallet is lighter. Live and learn.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I guess I need to go back there again on Monday, which is kind of a pain. Not happy with the dealer at this point. Any advice? Love the car, and this could just be sloppy work by the tech in the service bay.

dealer's tech showed me where a mouse evidently chewed some wires and that caused the fault codes. Live and learn.

Is the live and learn part to not be a douche that points fingers first and gets facts second?