GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alot of engine oil build up on engine bay?

edwardnese

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, i was just wondering is it normal to have engine oil buildup on the engine bay area? From the vid around 7 seconds you can see alot of black (engine oil?) buildup near the pcv and was wondering if that's normal build up over time. I have never cleaned the engine bay and i have 80k miles on it also the buildup seems like its caked on rather then a continuous leak of oil.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4SAvQJkf6oy0XDLs1

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
PCV can leak oil, cam girdle sealant can leak oil, upper timing cover can leak oil. Just did my upper timing cover gaskets recently which fixed oil pooling up on top of the cam girdle.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
best bet is to very thoroughly clean everything and watch where it starts up again

Uberryan

Banned
Valve cover seal if it's all the way across the bead there. If it's just near the oil cap or the PCV, then it's PCV.

edwardnese

Passed Driver's Ed
Valve cover seal if it's all the way across the bead there. If it's just near the oil cap or the PCV, then it's PCV.

would it be safe to say that the pcv is going bad if theres a leak? also noticed there are some wet oil grease on the pcv housing itself