GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

avni

Ready to race!
I've always read about this, but thought I was in the clear..

am i?

I have a 2013 GTI.

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
I went though this entire thread and compiled every report of members' tensioner versions. Missing build dates are simply due to members not including that data. Every model year '10-11 is old-style (except that one with a new motor), and every '14 is new-style, so I excluded those years. I guess I could have just excluded '13, as well.

Here's another version that only includes reports with build dates:

I wish I had more data points for the MY12s with the old style tensioner. Not many build dates were reported for those. It seems pretty clear that the transition point was 9/11, but that's only based on three reported build dates of old-style MY12s.

I really don't know what was up with that one errant 2/12 one. In retrospect I should have included a column for member username, but I'm not about to go back and do it all over.

jettaglis

Go Kart Champion
All 3 of my tsi's
2010 Tiguan Production Date: 2009-09-03 old tensioner (obliviously)
2011 Cc Production Date: 2010-06-11 old tensioner
2012 Gti Production Date: 2011-06-17 old tensioner

The Gti jumped 1 tooth on the exhaust cam around 110k miles, lucked out and no damage done. The Cc was done preventive and the Tiguan is still on the original.

tofuD01

Ready to race!
I had a bad experience with a chain on my last car, a 2001 gti vr6. I was going about 5 mph and just barely tapped the gas, and then I lost all power like a coilpack went out. I even drove it home like that. Turns out I stretched the chain and broke a couple teeth on the sprocket, somehow that's all the damage I did. Everybody always said the chain was a job to be done at 120k, and this happened to me at 111k. I'm glad they use a chain and not a belt, but I still wouldn't trust the chains beyond 120k.

I had the tensioner etc replaced around 55k miles, would you say it would last the life of the car from now or its best to replace it again at some point?

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
I went though this entire thread and compiled every report of members' tensioner versions. Missing build dates are simply due to members not including that data. Every model year '10-11 is old-style (except that one with a new motor), and every '14 is new-style, so I excluded those years. I guess I could have just excluded '13, as well.

Here's another version that only includes reports with build dates:

I wish I had more data points for the MY12s with the old style tensioner. Not many build dates were reported for those. It seems pretty clear that the transition point was 9/11, but that's only based on three reported build dates of old-style MY12s.

I really don't know what was up with that one errant 2/12 one. In retrospect I should have included a column for member username, but I'm not about to go back and do it all over.

Thanks for compiling this!

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I had the tensioner etc replaced around 55k miles, would you say it would last the life of the car from now or its best to replace it again at some point?

If you updated the tensioner to the newest revision your next weak link is the chain itself. The old version has been known to stretch pretty bad by 100k miles. However, when I changed my cam chain at 105k I didn't have any significant stretch. Was your cam chain updated to the revised version (part #06K109158AD)? In the below pic the updated version is on the right (installed on the cam) and the old version is on the left in my hand.

IMG_20171225_151821 by Tony G, on Flickr

Prescription_Bandit

Passed Driver's Ed
My 2013 gti was assembled 6/12...so I guess you can mark me down as having the new tensioner? Thanks for posting this, been wondering if i was in the clear. Guess I'll be holding onto my mk6 awhile longer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tofuD01

Ready to race!
If you updated the tensioner to the newest revision your next weak link is the chain itself. The old version has been known to stretch pretty bad by 100k miles. However, when I changed my cam chain at 105k I didn't have any significant stretch. Was your cam chain updated to the revised version (part #06K109158AD)? In the below pic the updated version is on the right (installed on the cam) and the old version is on the left in my hand.

IMG_20171225_151821 by Tony G, on Flickr

Think I've had the whole thing done, camshaft bridge snapped and that got replaced too. This mean is good for lifetime or expect to change again in X miles?

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I had my tensioner go on my 2011 and didnt do any damage. Got it replaced with chain and guides. 2 weeks ago i lost all oil pressure(2 psi at idle, 10psi at 3k rpm) i found a bunch of alum in oil pan and assume it is something from timing side..129k miles

DarienMidnight

Ready to race!
Where do u find the build date ? I have a 2012 gti 54k miles ...sounds like I'm in trouble :(

DarienMidnight

Ready to race!
The build date is usually on the driver side door jam towards the bottom. Should say Germany and build date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks I'll post my info soon

GTI6891

I just bought a used gti. In the car fax report it said my car was serviced at the dealership and drive belt(s) were replaced. Do you think this is the drive belt they are referring to or could it be something else?