GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wish it had an aluminum engine block and aluminum front uprights...

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
VW could knock roughly 60 pounds off of the GTI's front end with an aluminum engine block.

They could knock more weight off the front end (and, more importantly, the un-sprung weight of the front suspension) by specifying the Passat's aluminum uprights...

These combined changes would result in a lighter, better handling car and would also yield small gains in acceleration, braking and fuel economy - all at very little expense.

Iron engine blocks are mostly a thing of the past now and I'm surprised that they didn't specify one during the most recent 2.0 redesign.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Couldof wouldof shouldof

I do agree though. Iron blocks are almost a thing of the past. I'm surprised aluminum blocks popped up so late actually.

But I guess VW engineers think that with forced induction engines you must have a strong block to handle all of the "pressure" even though an aluminum block would hold the stock amount of boost perfectly.

But more than that, it's probably cost. Maybe the premium was too much for them at the time. Who knows.

terryxlee

Passed Driver's Ed
VW could knock roughly 60 pounds off of the GTI's front end with an aluminum engine block.

They could knock more weight off the front end (and, more importantly, the un-sprung weight of the front suspension) by specifying the Passat's aluminum uprights...

These combined changes would result in a lighter, better handling car and would also yield small gains in acceleration, braking and fuel economy - all at very little expense.

Iron engine blocks are mostly a thing of the past now and I'm surprised that they didn't specify one during the most recent 2.0 redesign.

On the bright side we can chip safely without worrying about the engine block cracking

potatohead

Ready to race!
Sure they could, but the car would also cost more.

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
On the bright side we can chip safely without worrying about the engine block cracking

Just the front uprights being aluminum would save about 60 lbs - I'm surprised there isn't an aftermarket solution for this by now.

pedobear

It's all about cost. The most cost effective way to make these cars is what VW is all about. Plus, the cast iron engine block is damn near bulletproof. Unless you are gonna go race for competition, I wouldn't worry about 60 pounds in your DD. :D

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
Be glad for that anchor up front if you plan on doing anythig more than stg1. You'll bend rods before you crack the block.

As for uprights, I'm sure they wouldn't fit easily- the whole subframe geometry (Whig is aluminum, fwiw) is totally different than the passat. Al is much more expensive than steel (mostly due to manufacturing rather than raw material), so it adds a surprising amount of cost, especially on relatively low volume models like the gti.

Big Swede

Ready to race!
You can always go on a diet.

That wouldn't help the weight balance of the car as much. The block is much farther forward so losing weight their would help handling and steering.

Let's not act like the engine is a hp monster that could crack an aluminum block, just about every turbo engine around makes way more power with an aluminum block. Jeez even Hyundai makes 267 hp with the same displacement and gets better mileage in a much bigger car.

s2kguy

Ready to race!
If the front weight was much less, I'd be stuck at every stop light. With 9,000 miles, my GTI has started slipping and squealing tires nearly every time I start to move. I have to be very careful with the throttle. I don't think its the APR stage 1 as I'm trying to drive conservatively. Sure hate the Conti's on the Denvers.

iron block = strong n bulletproof, naturally sound deadening, but heavy.
al block = strong but more vibes and noise.

don't make a difference to me... makes me feel more comfortable about ripping into boost often...