GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FX100 clutch noise.. just checkin

GTI_MD

SO, I got me this CM fx100 and CM lightweight steel flywheel installed with a sprung clutch after some serious slipping after stage 1. I trust the shop (Induktion motorsport) but things happen.

I know single mass flywheels make noise, but I'm trying to be prudent and just check. Lots of people talk about noise at idle, that's not my concern.

SO, at idle with no accessories on, there's no noise, at least nothing louder than the injectors. Slight rattle with A/C on.

Its under power that I get noise. Its noticeable at low rpms (parking lots) and at higher rpms (sounds like engine/exhaust)

At lower rpms, it sounds like lugging engine/valve clatter/baseball cards in the spokes.

I ASSUME that the noise at higher RPMs is the noise transmitted through the transmission that was buffered by the dual mass clutch.

Anyway... wondering if people experience the same thing.. Just to be sure its all right.
To my knowledge I've never owned and definitely never replaced a dual mass flywheel, nor have I driven much FWD.

EDIT:
well.. I guess its like this guys, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=715PiUzzT5o

Also seems more "in contact" with the ground. Probably lack of sproing in the flywheel, or driving my van for a few weeks while waiting for parts.

Anyway, FX100, other than noise, seems pretty awesome. Drives like stock, but for the noise. Slightly better pedal feel. That is, its not SCION soft anymore, but still softer than my Focus ST. Flywheel really noticeable. downright blippy throttle.

Last edited:

BIG FAT UNCLE PAULY

Ready to race!
"Gear lash" sound is normal with single mass flywheels. To me it sounds like metal chain chattering, especially when car is decelerating.

Funny thing; I was talking to AJ and owner Ed last week about my CM FX400 slipping and they mentioned installing CM FX100.
If you really need assurance, I work near BWI and would meet you to take a listen if you want. PM me if you want.
Or call Induktion and ask if someone could take a short ride with you. Their a good bunch of guys at Induktion and I'm sure they'd take a ride and a listen for you.

Last edited:

Zonaglxy

Ready to race!
Your description sounds normal for a SMF. Accelerating at a low rpm or letting off the throttle at high rpm's will produce the gear lash. Having the AC on can get annoying at times but you can always keep the clutch depressed.

GTI_MD

Chain noise is an appropriate analogy. Thats exactly what it sounds like.

Im sure its fine. It sounds the same as when i picked it up from induktion. Drivable as hell.
Like stock but better. To bad theres not a fix for noise.

Good excuse to replace trans/engine mounts and an exhaust. Time to get loud

GTI_MD

Both has I.

Strongly prefer driving gti and listening to focus. Focus interior bad.. Ford cramped. Recaros make it worse. Even with snorkel delete the focus sounds great. Drives like a speed3.

Last edited:

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
how is fx100 a good recommendation lol. stage 2 power is above what fx100 is designed for. :thumbdown:

GTI_MD

how is fx100 a good recommendation lol. stage 2 power is above what fx100 is designed for. :thumbdown:

Luckily, for most peoples purposes, its plenty. If i had suspected such a weak clutch, i probably wouldnt have even done stage 1. Not trying to jab you, but in my eyes, building massive power in a FWD aint bright. Cant use it, hurts handling, limits longevity... It was just so easy to get a tune, i had to treat myself to a juvenile thrill. If im genuinely going touring aggressively through the twisties, i turn off the tune. Too much understeer and left foot braking. Losing traction over hills etc.
Stage 2 :thumbdown:

GTI_MD

Dat oversteer doe?

You like it or dont?

If not... Dont lift. I have never had it oversteer without making a massive mistake. Understeer can be bad though. Not as progressive as gti. I can drive the gti in a state of oversteer drift.... Probably highly tire related.. Eagle f1s are nice.

If you like the oversteer, well, yea you can lift off all day and the asc will actually let you. AND you can actually turn the asc off. But unlike the gti, leaving the asc on is not a guarantee that youll always be driving looking through the windshield. Gti asc has kept me out of the trees and path of oncoming trucks. Focus asc has scared me. Theres a reason why drivers scorn fwd... Just sit back and counter-steer...