GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A map for fusebox ?

James9449

Ready to race!
Does anyone have a schematic of the fuse panel behind the lower left dash in the MKVI GTI -- or know where I can obtain one ? I'm having difficulty troubleshooting fuse failure, because identifying a blown fuse requires pulling each one to determine failure. I need a map. Or a brain transplant. Help.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I haven't looked in the owners manual in awhile but shouldn't there be a diagram?

James9449

Ready to race!
DanielJ -- In the 350+ page manual that came with my 2011 GTI -- a thick little book which, by the way, describes lots of features that my little GTI does not even have -- has no such schematic. There is a small matrix near the end of the book, but it only provides color coding of the fuses by amperage -- hardly even necessary. The rest of the content on fuses gives is a description of how to pull a fuse and how to identify a fuse that's blown. Again, hardly necessary. So unless I can get hold of a tech service manual or something that features a fuse map, finding the offending fuse is kind of a tedious pull-and-examine drill. I've not seen a shop manual for an MKVI. Where could I find one? I dunno.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
You sound really frustrated.

I went and checked my owners manual. While large, if you exercise common sense its logically laid out. Looking in section 3.3, Tips and Advice, pages 95 an 96, you'll see fuse box maps with the fuses purpose and slot #.

You're making a simple task overly complicated.

pbm317

Passed Driver's Ed
I can share the frustration. While I've seen the "map" in the manual, mine doesn't seem to line up with the actual box itself.

lopedawg

DanielJ -- In the 350+ page manual that came with my 2011 GTI -- a thick little book which, by the way, describes lots of features that my little GTI does not even have -- has no such schematic. There is a small matrix near the end of the book, but it only provides color coding of the fuses by amperage -- hardly even necessary. The rest of the content on fuses gives is a description of how to pull a fuse and how to identify a fuse that's blown. QUOTE]

+2

You sound really frustrated.

I went and checked my owners manual. While large, if you exercise common sense its logically laid out. Looking in section 3.3, Tips and Advice, pages 95 an 96, you'll see fuse box maps with the fuses purpose and slot #.

You're making a simple task overly complicated.

Im guessing there was a change for the 2011 user's manual. I've looked at my entire book and there is no diagram for the fueses.

Tecni

Ready to race!
My inner tail lights aren't working. I'm certain the fuse blew but I can't find it...

My fusebox looks NOTHING like the one on that diagram.

picture:

awkwardbeta

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone have a schematic of the fuse panel behind the lower left dash in the MKVI GTI -- or know where I can obtain one ? I'm having difficulty troubleshooting fuse failure, because identifying a blown fuse requires pulling each one to determine failure. I need a map. Or a brain transplant. Help.

If you still didn't get your hands on a fuse map or solve your problem yet, try using a DMM (digital multimeter) and test for continuity using the needle-like probes. It's faster and more reliable than pulling each one out and looking to see if it's blown (sometimes the blown fuse is so clean that it's hard to tell).

Super simple: turn your DMM on to test continuity, and to test how it works, touch your red and black probe ends together. You should hear a *beeeep* letting you know that there's continuity, ie. you have a complete circuit running from one probe to another.

Now go to your fuse box. If you look at your fuses, you'll see two tiny exposed fuse leads, one on each side of the amp number (15, 20, 30, etc.).

The fuse leads are tiny, just big enough for your DMM probe. Touch one fuse lead with the red probe and the other fuse lead with the black probe. Doesn't matter which probe goes to which lead. If your fuse isn't blown, you'll hear a beep. If it is blown, that means there's no continuity, and you've found your culprit.

You can go through all your fuses using this method in under a minute. Auto techs use this method all the time to test possible blown fuses.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Good info on testing fuses, thanks awkwardbeta.

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
There is no fusebox info in my handbook what it says is:

At the time of print we are unable to provide an up-to-date overview of the locations of the fuses for the electrical consumers. This is because the vehicle is under constant development, because fuses are assigned differently depending on the equipment level and because several consumers may use a single fuse. You can get more information about the fuse layout from a Volkswgen dealership.

Even more bull from VW, cars are being devloped all the time so show the latest one they have.

Yes I've know about CGTI's link for a while.