GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My modest build

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Took a picture of my new (old) track wheels.

22815642_10105557911492705_3877078710176380195_n.jpg

They are little beat up but they will serve the track day tomorrow just right :)

Streets of Willow. Going to try to push it a little harder than usual (which means i might actually post a respectable time. lol).

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Love following your thread. Im super jealous you get to go to the track this late in the season. I had to cram in 11 track days between May-Oct. The season is over for me now due to the weather unfortunately. Took it out this weekend for a little cruise and the tires are worthless in 40 degree weather.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Love following your thread. Im super jealous you get to go to the track this late in the season. I had to cram in 11 track days between May-Oct. The season is over for me now due to the weather unfortunately. Took it out this weekend for a little cruise and the tires are worthless in 40 degree weather.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks man! I'm pretty sure I follow yours with the exact enthusiasm. Haha

As for track season this is the ONLY time imo. It's too hot in the summer here. High DA still prevents turbo from spooling quick enough. And it loses breath faster. Meth doesn't help that unfortunately.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
So I took the car out to Streets of Willow this Sunday and had an absolute blast. Definitely drove the car to it's limits for the first time (I'll explain in a bit). Came out of the session with some big take aways.

First the video of my fastest lap. A respectable 1:38.41

https://youtu.be/5ny_IAteM3s

Now some thoughts:

Car has too much power and is too light to expect the Michelin PSS tires to hold up in turns in low gears. I basically had to stay out of second. In the am it was only about 60F so I thought maybe as the day warmed up. But I was only able to improve a half second later and I attribute that mostly to having alot more of the track to myself. My power to weight is a huge advantage in a straight line but is difficult to lay down on circuit

Now SoW was just recently resurfaced and everyone is talking about how greasy it is. But more than that I think the biggest factor to my lack of grip is a reduced contact patch in the rear due to my weight distribution being probably 70/30 favoring the front. This is evident with how many times I got sideways from my back slipping out... Yes you read that right.

Going forward I'm looking first at rcomp tires. These will go on my team dynamics while the PSS go back on the enkeis.

Secondly I. Looking at going with some Racingline bushings and light weight LCAs.

An LSD needs to happen as well... That's obvious. Because of the cost of the job verses how much I track (3 times a year or so) this is one that may not happen over the winter.

Last thought:

When out with some mk7rs. One stock tune the other stg2. Absolute monsters on the track. They always had grip and we're about 4-5 seconds faster than me. That platform is really amazing

Wessley

Passed Driver's Ed
The Jealous Admirer...

I thought this car looked familiar. We met in Big Bear at OBB. I was parked off on the street where you drive into the event. It's about damn time I found this build thread. :happyanim:

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
I thought this car looked familiar. We met in Big Bear at OBB. I was parked off on the street where you drive into the event. It's about damn time I found this build thread. :happyanim:

Oh yea bro i remember! Welcome to the thread!

I have been meaning to update it too!

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
The LCA install is super easy. Since I didnt have a 24mm hex bolt to replace the stretch bolt holding in the axle I kept my OEM ball joints in (they are in great shape anyways). WIthout that you could do a lower control arm swap in 30 min.

What is more difficult is swapping it with high durameter VWR bushing.

I put the front bushing in myself with a homemade press and some grease; getting it into the car is too easy; slips right in. The aft bushing is much more challenging. A heavy duty set of channel locks is necessary.

ALOT... ALOT of caution is needed when threading these bolts. This is probably true with Whiteline, Superpro as well. Since you need force holding that bushing housing in place its easy to get the wrong angle on the thread. Those female threads on the subframe (and chassis) are super easy to cross thread and ruin.

Also use new bolts. These are stretch bolts; so i bought new subframe bolts but need to put in new bushing to chassis bolts as well.

While under there I installed tyrolsport deadset kit on just the LCA bushings as i was running out of time and needed the car. The rest of the kit will go on before i get an alignment.

The car drives beautifully. Its amazing how much this does for steering precision and response. No noticeable increase in NVH from the stronger bushings either. Grip feels much better in the turns and the LCAs are about 1.5lbs lighter per

1231170717a.jpg
1231170718d.jpg
1231170718a.jpg

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
May I ask why did you decide to replace the control arms? Weight? Or did the OEMs crack?

Its ALOT easier getting a new bushing out of a new control arm to install poly bushings than out of an old control arm.

Weight and price are the other bits. Each one of these are about 2lbs lighter than factory. Not much but I take anything I can get.

I got these from rock Auto for 180 bucks

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
I havent updated this in a long time; mostly because not much has changed over the winter.

A couple things did get thrown on however. First of which was a BFI alcantara shifter boot.

0225181420a_HDR.jpg

My OEM leather one was getting super dried out from the desert climate despite me treating it with leather treatment. It eventually started to develop cracks and started becoming a sore spot in the interior.

I finally ended up getting some track-specific tires for the upcoming season. Federal 595 RSRRs.

$_20.JPG

And these are the best tire ive been on in terms of grip. Car hooks everywhere, in every gear, at any speed. At streets of willow i was having difficulty putting power down out of sharp corners in low gear (#stockdif)... this should remedy that nicely.

I also got around to mounting my track tires on the wall of my garage. Gives it the necessary car guy aesthetic IMO. lol

0224181657.jpg