GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

uglybastard's PSSMKLLR GTI owner journal

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
yesterday's clear side marker install... not best pictures, bear with me til i can get daylight pictures

Off

On

Was throwing a code for bulb being out, likely due to the LED used. Bypassed using vagcom (link).

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Last night painted a front emblem white to match my grille's accents. Did clearcoat quickly today and the thing looks nice.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I had lost a fog light access cover (forget the technical name for it) a while back and replaced it, so i decided to drill some holes and secure both of them loosely with zipties as I had seen advised somewhere on the interwebs (probably here).

Disregard the dirty wheels, its been too cold for me to be able to sneak away for a car bath.

I don't have any drillbits, but i used a 1.5" screw with my electric screwdriver to puncture the plastic and a knife to make the hold small but flat for the ziptie to fit. If you try this, make sure you are clear of any wires first on the panel! Might replace the zipties with dark ones to blend better but for now these shall do.

pioneercrazed

Passed Driver's Ed
Good idea on the fog light cover. That reminds me I'm missing mine also. Any chance you could lmk the part number for the cover?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Good idea on the fog light cover. That reminds me I'm missing mine also. Any chance you could lmk the part number for the cover?

Thanks. These are side-specific, though the differences seem to be rather minute... i had to replace one of them, as mentioned.

Right: 5K0805414A
Left: 5K0805413A

I bought mine from ECS for under $7 plus shipping. If you shop around, right now with holiday sales and stuff, im sure you could find a way to get shipped for free (probably need to buy more stuff but who doesn't love that?)

pioneercrazed

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks. These are side-specific, though the differences seem to be rather minute... i had to replace one of them, as mentioned.

Right: 5K0805414A
Left: 5K0805413A

I bought mine from ECS for under $7 plus shipping. If you shop around, right now with holiday sales and stuff, im sure you could find a way to get shipped for free (probably need to buy more stuff but who doesn't love that?)

Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it!

I'm sure I can always find some more stuff to buy. Haha

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
I had lost a fog light access cover (forget the technical name for it) a while back and replaced it, so i decided to drill some holes and secure both of them loosely with zipties as I had seen advised somewhere on the interwebs (probably here).

I have lost one before too, this is an awesome idea! :thumbsup:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
soundaktor disconnected (deleted?) today. easy mod, still need to test drive to hear the difference. hoping the hood blanket removal really makes the engine noise ring true now.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
soundaktor disconnected (deleted?) today. easy mod, still need to test drive to hear the difference. hoping the hood blanket removal really makes the engine noise ring true now.

Disconnecting the Soundaktor is great, you'll probably notice less interior vibrations/buzzes too (at least I did).

Removing the hood liner is good as well, it definitely makes things more pronounced under the hood. Unfortunately one of the noises is the tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic......... of the valves. Will be interesting to hear your thoughts after a few miles.

Enjoy the REAL sound of your car! :thumbsup:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Disconnecting the Soundaktor is great, you'll probably notice less interior vibrations/buzzes too (at least I did).

Removing the hood liner is good as well, it definitely makes things more pronounced under the hood. Unfortunately one of the noises is the tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic......... of the valves. Will be interesting to hear your thoughts after a few miles.

Enjoy the REAL sound of your car! :thumbsup:

Drove about 50 miles since the disconnect. Remarkable difference in noises. Quieter cabin and real engine noises are the obvious benefit. I like that I can now hear my turbo for real, and my CAI noise is more pronounced above 4k rpm.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Spring/summer to-do list (aside from reg maint.):

- UM Tune
- VWR sport springs
- boost gauge (likely CIM vent pod)
- Stage 2 downpipe - TBD (either Oatmeal Hammer's DIY CF, or APR)
- side mirror indicators upgrade (once i figure out the short on wiring i have in there)

hoping to finance most of this with my tax return.

stretch goals will be a CBE (just need to dig around and find one I like and can afford) and uniBrace xB

Jared32

Ready to race!
Spring/summer to-do list (aside from reg maint.):

- UM Tune
- VWR sport springs
- boost gauge (likely CIM vent pod)
- Stage 2 downpipe - TBD (either Oatmeal Hammer's DIY CF, or APR)
- side mirror indicators upgrade (once i figure out the short on wiring i have in there)

hoping to finance most of this with my tax return.

stretch goals will be a CBE (just need to dig around and find one I like and can afford) and uniBrace xB

Does um make a tune for the GTI I haven't been able to find it on their website?

Sent from my EYEphone to yours...

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Does um make a tune for the GTI I haven't been able to find it on their website?

Sent from my EYEphone to yours...

I spoke to the guy he said it's available just hasnt gotten around to updating website. this was back in june/july. best bet is to contact a local dealer (http://www.unitedmotorsport.net/dealer-network/) and ask them if they have it available. if they say no, politley ask them to check with UM to see if they need to get some sort of update.