GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best performance/handling upgrade for tuned car on the track?

DSquad48

I have been interested in taking my mk6 gti to the track to run some solo events. I have been scouring the forum these past couple of days reading up on various handling and performance upgrades that can be made to the car for track events specifically. The problem is that there are so many available upgrades that I don't know where to begin!

So, my questions is, what sort of upgrade is the best "bang for the buck" in terms of increasing performance? I plan on doing some autocross and short track time trials, so it seems like handling would be of primary concern over any potential power gains, at least for the time being.

My car is currently APR stage 1 tuned with grippy summer tires, stock everything else.

I am really new to the art of tuning/upgrading, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Best item to purchase initially is an LSD. It is expensive but probably single most effective thing you can do. it was one of the last things I did for the track, it should have been the first. It is transformative for the track. Without it you can't lay down the power in right hand turn exits.

red_stapler

Ready to race!
So, my questions is, what sort of upgrade is the best "bang for the buck" in terms of increasing performance? I plan on doing some autocross and short track time trials

Downgrading the tune back to stock and running in stock class is probably your best bet. After that, autocross focused tires like Bridgestone RE71Rs or BfGoodrich Rival S 1.5s are going to show the biggest improvement in laptimes.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
If you're doing SCCA you'll want to run the stock tune for events so you can run in the street (or stock) category. With that your upgrades are limited. Run the stickiest 200 tread-wear tires you can, upgrade your dampers to a set of Koni Sports, upgrade the rear swaybar to a stiffer adjustable one, and maybe upgrade the brake pads to something that has better initial bite.

ebuuz

Go Kart Newbie
Best item to purchase initially is an LSD. It is expensive but probably single most effective thing you can do. it was one of the last things I did for the track, it should have been the first. It is transformative for the track. Without it you can't lay down the power in right hand turn exits.

What kind of lap time decreases did you see with an LSD?

Right now I am debating between LSD and upgrading suspension. I'm leaning towards suspensions because I feel like its more bang for buck...

Your thoughts?

zef

Drag Racing Champion
What kind of lap time decreases did you see with an LSD?

Right now I am debating between LSD and upgrading suspension. I'm leaning towards suspensions because I feel like its more bang for buck...

Your thoughts?

Since your car is a 6 speed I would say LSD first. It's only really expensive for the DSG guys. For a DSG trans it's a $3000+ job but for a MT it's easily half that.

ebuuz

Go Kart Newbie
mounts, anti lift kit, suspension, a rear sway are all great places to start.

Seat time is by far the most important over any mods.

Agreed on the seat time. I'm about two seasons into tracking. After all the newbie gains I hit a plateau in lap times after about 10-15 events. My times have the same for the past year but in that time I've been learning to read my car, understand when my tires/brakes are too hot, and being able to adjust accordingly. Of course I am trying to be more consistent by using more fixed reference points.

If I slow down and focus on refinement and consistency I might be able to do it :)

More satisfying than adding mods but I definitely want more consistent tires. These super sports are starting to chunk on the outside though so that will have to be soon.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Agreed on the seat time. I'm about two seasons into tracking. After all the newbie gains I hit a plateau in lap times after about 10-15 events. My times have the same for the past year but in that time I've been learning to read my car, understand when my tires/brakes are too hot, and being able to adjust accordingly. Of course I am trying to be more consistent by using more fixed reference points.

If I slow down and focus on refinement and consistency I might be able to do it :)

More satisfying than adding mods but I definitely want more consistent tires. These super sports are starting to chunk on the outside though so that will have to be soon.

I pm'ed you

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I have been interested in taking my mk6 gti to the track to run some solo events. I have been scouring the forum these past couple of days reading up on various handling and performance upgrades that can be made to the car for track events specifically. The problem is that there are so many available upgrades that I don't know where to begin!

So, my questions is, what sort of upgrade is the best "bang for the buck" in terms of increasing performance? I plan on doing some autocross and short track time trials, so it seems like handling would be of primary concern over any potential power gains, at least for the time being.

My car is currently APR stage 1 tuned with grippy summer tires, stock everything else.

I am really new to the art of tuning/upgrading, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have to get involved here (sorry guys). Why do you think you need ANY upgrades to run at the track? Whatever money you have set aside for upgrades, spend on drive time at events. Nothing is more important than setting a baseline with your car the way it is, especially with the better tires you already have. Getting drive time will help you realize the areas that could be improved. When I had an instructor, I let him take the car out and I sat shotgun, I asked him what he thought could be improved and built my list of upgrades in a certain order.

This all day. Nothing will be more impactful but I still think you should drive as is then drive after an LSD install. Track upgrades can get hairy, LSD, brakes, springs vs. coilovers, corner balancing, sway bar combos, chassis stiffening and subframe collars, etc. There will be a lot of input from a lot of people as several of us have been through several suspension setups through the years.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I have to get involved here (sorry guys). Why do you think you need ANY upgrades to run at the track? Whatever money you have set aside for upgrades, spend on drive time at events. Nothing is more important than setting a baseline with your car the way it is, especially with the better tires you already have. Getting drive time will help you realize the areas that could be improved. When I had an instructor, I let him take the car out and I sat shotgun, I asked him what he thought could be improved and built my list of upgrades in a certain order.

This all day. Nothing will be more impactful but I still think you should drive as is then drive after an LSD install. Track upgrades can get hairy, LSD, brakes, springs vs. coilovers, corner balancing, sway bar combos, chassis stiffening and subframe collars, etc. There will be a lot of input from a lot of people as several of us have been through several suspension setups through the years.
3rd and hopefully last suspension for me... Waiting on the camber plates

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
As others have said run stock class. I don't think you can do LSD in the stock class because it was never an option on the MKVI. Rear sway bar, brake pads, and 200 treadwear tires.

Can someone comment if aftermarket wheels are allowed in the stock class assuming you keep the factory 225/40R18 tire size? What is the lightest OEM MKVI wheel? Lagunas?

Last edited: