GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tire Thread

ppchiu

Thanks for the fast response!

Just wondering, since you're from Vancouver as well, do you find the need for winter tires on the gti? I plan to take my car up to the mountains during snowboarding season but I'm not sure if the ground clearance and stock tires would permit that

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the fast response!

Just wondering, since you're from Vancouver as well, do you find the need for winter tires on the gti? I plan to take my car up to the mountains during snowboarding season but I'm not sure if the ground clearance and stock tires would permit that

That would depend on your usage, I would have to say. The stock Dunlops are terrible in ice/snow, and I like to go to Whistler for skiing/snowboarding, so I have winter tires. They really make a lot easier, and left me a lot more confident while driving in winter. This is especially true of the Sea to Sky. Also, if we get another snow dump year like 2008/2009 I'd like to be prepared.

If the cops are being jerks, they might turn you back if you don't have snow tires on your car when you head up to Cypress or Whistler, etc. I also drive up to Kelowna for skiing sometimes, and snow tires are definitely a necessity there.

I went up while I was lowered on my Bilstein coils and I had no issues as long as I stuck to the freshly plowed roads.

When I was stock, I had absolutely no issues going through snow under 1.5ft thick. I was plowing a bit, but the car definitely kept going. :lol:

waffleman

Ready to race!
How would you compare the Altimax Arctic compared to the Dunlop Winter tires for the GTI? The reviews on your website appear to really like that particular tire.

And for steel tires, what type of wax / paint sealant do you recommend to protect against the chemicals used to melt snow?

Thanks in advance!

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
How would you compare the Altimax Arctic compared to the Dunlop Winter tires for the GTI? The reviews on your website appear to really like that particular tire.

And for steel tires, what type of wax / paint sealant do you recommend to protect against the chemicals used to melt snow?

Thanks in advance!

For the money, the Altimax Artic does a great job. However, due to being a studdable winter tire, it has a bit harder tread compound than the Dunlops (necessary to hold studs in place) so unless it is studded (not legal in all states to run studs) you won't get quite the level of ice traction. Griot's makes a very nice sealant.

Paint Sealant

fdez-hicks

Ready to race!
whats the best winter or all season tires for the stock 17" denvers? ive only spent one winter with the car and i used the stock all season tires. im in germany, but i come from puerto rico, so im not familiar with snow tires at all... any help would be much appreciated

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
whats the best winter or all season tires for the stock 17" denvers? ive only spent one winter with the car and i used the stock all season tires. im in germany, but i come from puerto rico, so im not familiar with snow tires at all... any help would be much appreciated

If you are looking for the best winter tire to get you through the worst conditions, my personal favorite is the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70. That being said, the dry road handling from the Blizzak is not stellar. I see you are in Germany and can only assume the GTI sees a fair bit of Autobahn time, so the handling and speed rating may be something to take into account. The WS70 is a T speed rated tire (good to 118). As an alternative you could look into a performance winter tire such as the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D or the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 which carry H and V speed ratings respectively. These two would offer much better dry/well plowed road handling but would not be quite as good in more severe weather as the WS70. The best all season for winter traction would be the Continental Extreme Contact DWS.

Hope this helps.

My12GTI

Ready to race!
Great stickied thread. Now that it's getting closer to Fall here in UT, I'm looking for a set of tires for at least my fiancé's car and possibly mine. I've got the brand new Pirelli A/S's that come with the car so I'm not sure what I want to do yet. Her car:

year:2010
make:Honda
model:Fit Sport
tires only or winter package:Tires only

Me:

year:2012
make:VW
model:GTI 4-door

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Nick

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
Great stickied thread. Now that it's getting closer to Fall here in UT, I'm looking for a set of tires for at least my fiancé's car and possibly mine. I've got the brand new Pirelli A/S's that come with the car so I'm not sure what I want to do yet. Her car:

year:2010
make:Honda
model:Fit Sport

Me:

year:2012
make:VW
model:GTI 4-door

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Nick

Hello Nick,

Assuming your fiancé has the stock wheels, this is an easy one. The only winter tire available in her size is the Bridgestone Blizzak WS60.

Before I respond on the GTI, are your roads well plowed, are you doing much skiing in the mountains? I guess I want to know what conditions you encounter most. Heavy snow on un-plowed roads or mostly clear with a layer of ice/snow?

My12GTI

Ready to race!
Blizzaks are good tires-had them on my last car for a while...from what I remember it just seemed like they only lasted me one season...

The majority of my commute is on the freeway. My neighborhood is the last to be plowed during the season, but that's about 1,000 feet. I am an avid snowboarder as well, but if I go on a powder day I typically switch cars with my dad who owns a truck.

I do live on the benches though, so I am going up and down pretty steep hills all year and sometimes they can be icy/snowy

Last edited:

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
Blizzaks are good tires-had them on my last car for a while...from what I remember it just seemed like they only lasted me one season...

The majority of my commute is on the freeway. My neighborhood is the last to be plowed during the season, but that's about 1,000 feet. I am an avid snowboarder as well, but if I go on a powder day I typically switch cars with my dad who owns a truck.

I do live on the benches though, so I am going up and down pretty steep hills all year and sometimes they can be icy/snowy

In your case then, I would probably consider the aforementioned Blizzak WS70 or the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 which would be fairly close to the Blizzak in the really bad conditions, but has a bit better road manners.

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
They are dedicated winter/snow tires. I think this may have to do with the wording in the description you read on our site. "The Winter 210 Sottozero Serie II was developed with the philosophy that winter / snow tires must perform in a variety of unpredictable weather conditions and aren't just for use in the snowbelt states." The tires are meant to be suitable for areas that experience a variety of winter season weather conditions: slush, snow, ice, dry roads in freezing or near freezing temperatures.

So i am not getting the feeling that these are any good.

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
So i am not getting the feeling that these are any good.

The Sottozero is a good winter tire. Like the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 or the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D, they have better road manners than a studless ice and snow with much better winter traction than your summers or all seasons. They do sacrifice some ultimate snow/ice grip for the sake of handling compared to the studless ice and snows, but on either end, there is some tradeoff to be made.

Stuart M

If you drop wheel size by 2" should tire size not increase by 2" i.e 205/65/16 to keep same outside diameter of wheel?

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
If you drop wheel size by 2" should tire size not increase by 2" i.e 205/65/16 to keep same outside diameter of wheel?

Correct. When you minus size, you do less wheel and more tire to keep the diameter as close as possible to stock (within 3% of the original size).

Stuart M

Beside maybe poorer handling (which isnt a concern in winter) is there a reason not to 65instead of 55. I'm lucky enough to be spending the winter in north Jersey which may be pot hole capital of north east.