GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011-2014 Water Pump Recall Incoming

twovalvekid

What's up folks? New MK6 member here. Got up this AM and got the low coolant light/warning. Checked and it was below the low band. The pump was replaced before under warranty (maybe 1.5 years ago?), so I started googling and came across this thread. Looked up my VIN, bingo, out there.

The fun part is im supposed to go on a business trip tomorrow with this car.....sent the dealership a note with my service request about it and needing a car ASAP for my trip out of state for 2 weeks. We'll see what they say. :(

ducatiti

Ready to race!
My 2014 is now at the dealership for a BG Revision. Is it to early to say that this will finally end our miseries? Metal instead of a plastic impeller, has someone confirmed?

twovalvekid

Found a dealer that could do it that afternoon. In and out at about 2 hours.

cobie56

Ready to race!
My 2014 is now at the dealership for a BG Revision. Is it to early to say that this will finally end our miseries? Metal instead of a plastic impeller, has someone confirmed?

for what it's worth, my dealer told me that they have been installing the BG pumps since last spring and so far not one has returned for a leak.... fingers crossed...

Cubanboy76

2011 with 49k miles...started the car after being away on vacation for 6 days and get the "Coolant Low" alarm on the MFI. Checked the reservoir and bone dry. Mechanic confirmed the pump is dumping out every last drop. Punched in my VIN on the VW site, and only the service flash for the ECM is mentioned. $700+ repair out of warranty, and it'll take a day to fix. Coincidence? I think not, I asked my mechanic to save the old pump so I can pull the model number off...I'm about to get really familiar with VW Customer Care.

Hella1

Just had my turn with the Coolant Punp issue this week (~14k miles). Same as everyone else, started the car in the morning, was greeted with "Check Coolant! Owner's Manual!" and some loud dings. Watched the temp gauge like a hawk on the way to work but it never got any warmer than it usually does. Did a couple of searches here, found this thread and many others, which gave me a very clear picture of what was happening, searched the recall database, and there it was. Called the dealer, they had me in the very next morning, took care of that and the clock spring cover, updated the DSG software while they were at it and washed 'er up all nicey-nice. All things considered, a very smooth and largely painless experience.

gavinfla

I am very interested in finding out it they are going to refund me $861 bucks for replacing my water pump just last month for a coolant leak at the water pump. Please keep the thread going on this recall issue if its true. I keep all my receipts.

thanks

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
I am very interested in finding out it they are going to refund me $861 bucks for replacing my water pump just last month for a coolant leak at the water pump. Please keep the thread going on this recall issue if its true. I keep all my receipts.

thanks

i got mine done today... it was free.

jettaglis

Go Kart Champion

thanks

Do you have a cbfa engine code?
Pm me your vin and I can check for you.

gavinfla

Lucky you Hella, you are still under warranty for that job. I guess I was lucky to make it to 70K for my leak at the pump. There is always a reason for things to fail. So, I did some research for the coolant mixture ratio to see what its all about. I live in a warm climate so people don't pay that much attention with the coolant ratio, all they know is the boiling point, its under pressure so the boil point is higher. When I speak to the Service Writer about it, he says to just use it straight (Wrong). By reading the repair manual that is incorrect thinking. The correct mixture ratio prevents freezing and corrosion & calcium deposits (Hence damage to seals, parts & leaks) and the boiling point will be raised. Because of its higher boiling point, the coolant contributes to engine reliability under heavy engine loads, particularly in countries with tropical climates. So, don't let these mechanic and service writes fling-flang you into believing coolant ratios is not necessary.
Warm climates 50% coolant, and for colder climates 40% (its good to -13 deg) Hope I got it right.
Hope this was helpful

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Lucky you Hella, you are still under warranty for that job. I guess I was lucky to make it to 70K for my leak at the pump. There is always a reason for things to fail. So, I did some research for the coolant mixture ratio to see what its all about. I live in a warm climate so people don't pay that much attention with the coolant ratio, all they know is the boiling point, its under pressure so the boil point is higher. When I speak to the Service Writer about it, he says to just use it straight (Wrong). By reading the repair manual that is incorrect thinking. The correct mixture ratio prevents freezing and corrosion & calcium deposits (Hence damage to seals, parts & leaks) and the boiling point will be raised. Because of its higher boiling point, the coolant contributes to engine reliability under heavy engine loads, particularly in countries with tropical climates. So, don't let these mechanic and service writes fling-flang you into believing coolant ratios is not necessary.
Warm climates 50% coolant, and for colder climates 40% (its good to -13 deg) Hope I got it right.
Hope this was helpful

g12/13 with 50/50 mix of distilled water is ideal for warm climates.

gavinfla

water pump leaks

Do you have a cbfa engine code?
Pm me your vin and I can check for you.

I never saw any engine code for my leak, it was detected while they were investigating a oil leak coming from the rear engine seal and they did a pressure test to see if it held pleasure for (I think as a rule 2 minutes) Frankly I never saw any lost of coolant or codes or low warn lights.

Thanks jettaglis for the offer to check for cbfa engine code

Last edited:

jettaglis

Go Kart Champion
I never saw any engine code for my leak, it was detected while they were investigating a oil leak coming from the rear engine seal and they did a pressure test to see if it held pleasure for (I think as a rule 2 minutes) Frankly I never saw any lost of coolant or codes or low warn lights.

Thanks jettaglis for the offer to check for cbfa engine code

What I was referring to was the engine code cbfa had the recall for the water pumps not on the ccta engine codes though. A lot of time the water pump leaks occurs from oil collecting at the centering dowel at the top of the water pump. The cam cage leaks perfectly into it, swelling the seal causing the leak- I've even seen the water pumps cracked in that location as a result. If you had an oil leak from the rear main or wherever I would though a new pcv valve on there even if it checks ok.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion

thanks

you paid that much for a water pump replacement? WOW...talk about being ripped off.:rolleyes: