GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf and GTI engines (North America)

Victorface

It's a shame that we in the US won't get any of those brilliant 1.4 TSI engines for the Golf that Europe gets. Instead, we're stuck with the 2.5. From what I read, the 2.5 seems like quite a stupid and pointless engine.

Has anyone driven any cars with the same engines (I presume) that are going to be in the new Golf and GTI? Is the Golf TDI getting the same engine as the one in the current Jetta TDI? I've been wanting to take that on a test drive, but never got around to it. And I think the new GTI engine should be the same as the 2.0 in the new Audi A4. If so, are they any good? I know most of VW's engines are good in general, but anything outstanding?

I'm hoping to take a fresh new TDI or GTI to college next year. Any suggestions would be gladly appreciated.

Whafrodamus1

Ready to race!
It's a shame that we in the US won't get any of those brilliant 1.4 TSI engines for the Golf that Europe gets. Instead, we're stuck with the 2.5. From what I read, the 2.5 seems like quite a stupid and pointless engine.

Has anyone driven any cars with the same engines (I presume) that are going to be in the new Golf and GTI? Is the Golf TDI getting the same engine as the one in the current Jetta TDI? I've been wanting to take that on a test drive, but never got around to it. And I think the new GTI engine should be the same as the 2.0 in the new Audi A4. If so, are they any good? I know most of VW's engines are good in general, but anything outstanding?

I'm hoping to take a fresh new TDI or GTI to college next year. Any suggestions would be gladly appreciated.

The 2.0T in the GTI is different than the A4. It's the same engine as later MKV GTIs (the TSI, not the FSI)

zee

Go Kart Champion
I feel the reason we do not get the 1.4TSI is cost as well as public perception.

- The USA/Canada Golf is built to a cost which is why it costs so much less than the rest of the world. Building a 2.5 Natural aspirated motor is far cheaper than building a Twincharged 1.4TSI motor. Theoretically, because the 1.4TSI has both a supercharger and a turbo charger, the engine costs VW more than the 2.5 and even the 2.0TSI in the GTI.

- The public is not willling to pay more for an econobox model as well perceived over engineered German products. They will rather channel their cash to the Prius even though the TSI acheives very close mpg figures.

- The 1.4tSI being twincharged deserves premium fuel to run the engine. In order not to scare off potential buyers who would scratch the car off because of the premium fuel, VW might attempt market it like the 2.0TSI which can take regular fuel. Unlike the 2.0TSI which is just a turbo, running the 1.4TSI on Regular fuel will probably need VW to adjust the boost pressure to produce similar performance but this will probably then hurt the mpg figures.

- 1.4 sounds small. Most people still think bigger is better. 2.5 will sell better to the general public. Just public perception. Enthusiasts who know the engine differ.

- Americans do not like hatchs. They are low on the list after big sedans, minivans and CUVs & SUVs. Sales report from all manufacturers show this. Canadians like hatchs more and has more selection of hatches than the USA. Even VW is still milking Canada by selling the MKIV Golf as the City Golf.

It looks like VW's current USA hatch strategy is
-one cheap(2.5)
-one with good economy(TDI)
-one hot hatch(2.0T)
The 1.4TSI will be hard to slot in unless they get rid of the TDI. But the TDI is cheaper for VW and VW owners in the long run.

All this is just my opinion though.
Discuss...

Last edited:

SilverDSG

As far as I know the TSI badged 1.4s are available in europe with 2 different specs. The 122bhp unit in the SE does not have the super charger, its just got the turbo; whereas the 160BHP TSI in the GT has a super charger and a turbo charger, making it a proper twincharger.

Apparently the 1.4tsi 122bhp feels a bit like driving a diesel, ie not a huge amount of go until the turbo kicks it (according to friend when he test drove one).

zee

Go Kart Champion
Oppss...I forgot about the 1.4TSI. Thanks:thumbsup:

But really it still boils down to thesame thing.

A 1.4TSI @ 120hp
VS
A 2.5 @ 170hp.

The 2.5 is still cheaper to build, can take more of an abuse/neglect because it does not have a turbo. HP rating is more powerful and when combined with engine size, sounds better to most non-enthusiast North America car shoppers...whoa re currently in the majority.

cbope

Oppss...I forgot about the 1.4TSI. Thanks:thumbsup:

But really it still boils down to thesame thing.

A 1.4TSI @ 120hp
VS
A 2.5 @ 170hp.

The 2.5 is still cheaper to build, can take more of an abuse/neglect because it does not have a turbo. HP rating is more powerful and when combined with engine size, sounds better to most non-enthusiast North America car shoppers...whoa re currently in the majority.

Would be interesting to see the mpg numbers to compare the 2.5 vs the TSI. I have a TSI 160 and it pulls amazing mpg numbers when I drive carefully on the highway. I bet the 2.5 is much more thirsty... but again you are right the typical American buyer will rather put the money into a Prius. Shame, really.

zee

Go Kart Champion
You are right cbope, the 2.5 is alot more thirsty.

These numbers are from the Goverment of Canada, so they differ slightly with the European numbers tested but you'll get the idea. The numbers are all from the 5-doors.

All in (L/100km)

Manual
Golf 2.5 - 170hp / 177lb-ft, manual 1346kg
City 10.4
Hwy 7.0

Golf 2.0TDI - 140hp / 236lb-ft, manual 1358kg
City 6.7
Hwy 4.7

Golf GTI 2.0T - 200hp / 207lb-ft, manual 1376kg
City 10.0
Hwy 6.6

Automatic
Golf 2.5 - 170hp / 177lb-ft, auto 1371kg
City 9.2
Hwy 6.9

Golf 2.0TDI - 140hp / 236lb-ft, dsg 1379kg
City 6.7
Hwy 4.6

Golf GTI 2.0T - 200hp / 207lb-ft, dsg 1397kg
City 8.7
Hwy 6.3

cbope

My Mk6 TSI 118kW + DSG7 5-door gets:

(all in L/100)

City: ~7.7 (estimate only, not a lot of city driving)
Highway: 5.9
Combined city/highway: 7.0 avg

The combined number is my normal daily commute to/from work, about 8km in the city and 22km highway. I could probably get better than 5.9 on the highway, the problem is my right foot :D