GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WARNING FOR FREEZING CATCH CANS!!

zrickety

The Fixer
Save yourself the trouble and just get rid of the can. It's more trouble than it's worth IMO. 150k, stock pcv, no carbon clean ever, running STRONG.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Save yourself the trouble and just get rid of the can. It's more trouble than it's worth IMO. 150k, stock pcv, no carbon clean ever, running STRONG.

Counterpoint: 145k, recently blown RMS, now on my 3rd PCV, 2 carbon cleanings... I'm definitely getting the ECS catch can as soon as my bonus comes in, specifically for the purposes of protecting my PCV/RMS.

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
Counterpoint: 145k, recently blown RMS, now on my 3rd PCV, 2 carbon cleanings... I'm definitely getting the ECS catch can as soon as my bonus comes in, specifically for the purposes of protecting my PCV/RMS.

My RMS went bad somewhere between 40k and 50k, right after I had my clutch done. Everything had to be dropped again. I'm also on my 3rd PCV. Now I'm running an upgraded RMS (I believe this one) and a catch can.

I didn't drain my CC for the first few weeks of freezing temperatures. When I did open it up it must have been full. Tons of water came out of it. From then on out I drained every 1-2 days and still got more liquid out than I would in a month during the summer.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
My RMS went bad somewhere between 40k and 50k, right after I had my clutch done. Everything had to be dropped again. I'm also on my 3rd PCV. Now I'm running an upgraded RMS (I believe this one) and a catch can.

I didn't drain my CC for the first few weeks of freezing temperatures. When I did open it up it must have been full. Tons of water came out of it. From then on out I drained every 1-2 days and still got more liquid out than I would in a month during the summer.

It looks like the ECS catch can has the best design for maintaining airflow even when the catch can is quite full. For those of us in snow country that may be a primary consideration. Good to know that once a week in the winter is a must.

Where do you end up disposing of the catch can liquid? Dump into an empty gatorade bottle and throw in trash can?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
^i've been doing that but dumping the bottle into an oil resoviour that i have for old fluids

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
It looks like the ECS catch can has the best design for maintaining airflow even when the catch can is quite full. For those of us in snow country that may be a primary consideration. Good to know that once a week in the winter is a must.

Where do you end up disposing of the catch can liquid? Dump into an empty gatorade bottle and throw in trash can?

Dump it on weeds in my driveway... kills them right off

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!

I have an APR catch can, got it before this thread was started so all I can do is be vigilant in emptying it. I do the same thing as riceburner and use an oil resoviour for old fluids.

^i've been doing that but dumping the bottle into an oil resoviour that i have for old fluids

+1

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
Just had a run in with this.

-15F in Michigan. Lines froze, despite the can being mostly empty. Because its consistently cold, they can never clear well enough. Blew out my rear PCV line from the pressure and dumped oil. Fortunately, that's all that happened. Its definitely coming off for the Winter.

Can was frequently emptied (3-5 days).

I have the revised 034 can.