GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 3 Clutch Drop In. Still slipping! :(

snidehockey

Passed Driver's Ed
So I have a '12 w/ about 80k on it and decided to make the jump from stock right up to stage 2.

I got the COBB tuner and installed the downpipe a few weeks ago, and was thrilled at the power bump. Until I pushed it in 4th and saw my first slippage.

This car came from my 70 some year old father-in-law who didn't drive it hard AT ALL, so I figured (based on other users' success doing so) the components should be in good enough shape to keep the stock DMF and drop in a South Bend Stage 3 disc.

For this job I had a local shop (KDK Performance) do the work.

The owner called me up yesterday when the work was complete to let me know that the Flywheel looked to be in good shape and all seemed good until the test drive. Slipping at higher RPM's still.

With that said the clutch engagement and pedal feel is WAY different. It engages really high and at about 75-80 percent depressed, the pedal just gets ... I don't know ... hardish?

At this point I don't really know what's next. It's obviously drivable but makes every performance mod a total waste if it slips at anything over 4k rpm.

Thoughts?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
So I have a '12 w/ about 80k on it and decided to make the jump from stock right up to stage 2.

I got the COBB tuner and installed the downpipe a few weeks ago, and was thrilled at the power bump. Until I pushed it in 4th and saw my first slippage.

This car came from my 70 some year old father-in-law who didn't drive it hard AT ALL, so I figured (based on other users' success doing so) the components should be in good enough shape to keep the stock DMF and drop in a South Bend Stage 3 disc.

For this job I had a local shop (KDK Performance) do the work.

The owner called me up yesterday when the work was complete to let me know that the Flywheel looked to be in good shape and all seemed good until the test drive. Slipping at higher RPM's still.

With that said the clutch engagement and pedal feel is WAY different. It engages really high and at about 75-80 percent depressed, the pedal just gets ... I don't know ... hardish?

At this point I don't really know what's next. It's obviously drivable but makes every performance mod a total waste if it slips at anything over 4k rpm.

Thoughts?
Did you break the clutch in?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
Pressure plate weak possibly. I personally don't get doing just the disc. The expensive part is the labor, you are already in there. Slave cylinders are the weakest part of our clutches, do it all while you're in there.

snidehockey

Passed Driver's Ed
Pressure plate weak possibly. I personally don't get doing just the disc. The expensive part is the labor, you are already in there. Slave cylinders are the weakest part of our clutches, do it all while you're in there.

Well the line of thinking is $386 for the disc dropped into an application that is supposed to be able to handle it just fine with no new chatter or huge pedal changes...

vs

$1100 for a whole kit that now chatters like a mofo and makes the clutch (from what I've read) much stiffer.

after reading the whole 58 page topic dedicated to the drop in, I think I see where things went awry...the shop didn't reset the pressure plate and apparently mine was the type that needs it.

see post #411

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43658&page=30

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
$1100 for a whole kit that now chatters like a mofo and makes the clutch (from what I've read) much stiffer.

If anyone else has this dilemma look into purchasing an HS Tuning RSR clutch or piecing it together yourself (DIY RSR Clutch). I pieced it together myself and the clutch has been great so far. Basically you upgrade the pressure plate and replace the clutch disc (Replace the flywheel if necessary). You wind up with a clutch rated to 480ft-lbs that retains OEM pedal feel and no chattering because you retain the OEM flywheel. I did an extensive write up with pictures on the DIY RSR clutch in my build thread.

after reading the whole 58 page topic dedicated to the drop in, I think I see where things went awry...the shop didn't reset the pressure plate and apparently mine was the type that needs it.

see post #411

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43658&page=30

Here's some helpful info I bookmarked a few months back in regards to resetting the pressure plate:

Last edited:

aliasromero9

If anyone else has this dilemma look into purchasing an HS Tuning RSR clutch or piecing it together yourself (DIY RSR Clutch). I pieced it together myself and the clutch has been great so far. Basically you upgrade the pressure plate and replace the clutch disc (Replace the flywheel if necessary). You wind up with a clutch rated to 480ft-lbs that retains OEM pedal feel and no chattering because you retain the OEM flywheel. I did an extensive write up with pictures on the DIY RSR clutch in my build thread.

Here's some helpful info I bookmarked a few months back in regards to resetting the pressure plate:

Can confirm this setup is excellent 13,000 miles on it so far & no problems, I have this on a high torque tune & it doesn't slip at all. I bought this clutch as a kit from a local shop for about $650

Andrew429

Ready to race!
I installed mine at around 36k miles 3.5-4 years ago and now I'm just about at 68k, all of those miles were on stage 2, still feels like it did after the first 1000 miles on the clutch

snidehockey

Passed Driver's Ed
Update: Mechanic just called to tell me that I don't have an adjustable pressure plate...as the stock components are Sachs not Luk.

He said the reason it is still slipping is the flywheel is only catching the outer edges of the clutch disc due to wear etc. from the stock clutch disc.

Not really sure what to do now...

Start over with a whole kit? Get a replacement stock flywheel? Is the stock pressure plate ok to be reused?

ugh.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Update: Mechanic just called to tell me that I don't have an adjustable pressure plate...as the stock components are Sachs not Luk.

He said the reason it is still slipping is the flywheel is only catching the outer edges of the clutch disc due to wear etc. from the stock clutch disc.

Not really sure what to do now...

Start over with a whole kit? Get a replacement stock flywheel? Is the stock pressure plate ok to be reused?

ugh.

Ask the mechanic if the flywheel can be resurfaced. Usually they can. He may not be able to do it but there is probably someone around who can and it shouldn't be that expensive.

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
The 80k mile pressure plate would be alright still?

that is a lot of miles on a pressure plate and flywheel for that matter....only an expertese shop can resurface a DMFW

if it were me, i'd put in a lower mile flywheel as well as pressure plate....or new, but that is a quite a bit of money