GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

20k Mile Service Costs

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
I know the oil change is free at 20k miles, but I am about to take my 2012 R in today for its 20k miles service. What can i expect to be covered and what would be out of pocket? Anyone have an R specific list of what they do? Thanks.

Edit: I bought the car with 15k so this is my first service with it.

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
um, unless they changed the intervalls, 10k, 20k, 30k, services are free.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
as long as you have the base warranty you shouldnt be charged at all, they check fluids and add if needed and rotate tires as its required for every 10k

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
At 20k Should be
1. Tire rotation
2. Oil change
3. Cabin Air filter change

AlmostBrett

Im getting mine in probably 2 weeks. Im also having them check and possibly just change the cam follower, because i plan to go stage 2 next month, and i want to start fresh.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Thank god. My cabin filter smells like bigfoot's D***

You can get the filters cheap online($15). I've never had a car which goes through cabin filters so quickly. I've changed it twice already and I'm at 15k/just shy of 2 years. The smell is unbearable.

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Yea ive seen them online and will next time. i just bought this car in october so i knew id be getting a free one now, but it is a god awful smell. Do we have a leaky windshield or something? How do they get jacked up so fast?

You can get the filters cheap online($15). I've never had a car which goes through cabin filters so quickly. I've changed it twice already and I'm at 15k/just shy of 2 years. The smell is unbearable.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion

Wow, maybe something is leaking etc., or a lot of pollution or something, i use the black ice air freshener, and car has always smelled fresh/ nice. ( 3 1/2 years old), i know they changed the cabin filter at two years.

In my more than a year old turbo beetle, i don't use a freshener, the car still smells like new.

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I've heard using the recirculation feature can build condensation and can even cause mold, if you have a tendency of running the AC and just shutting the car off condensation builds up and water stays stagnant causing a smelly vent system. At least that's what my service advisor told me.

They have a treatment that cleanses the vent system. This service is not part of your warranty but they did this as a courtesy for me and it did take the smell away along with replacing the cabin filter.

They also advice me if I use the recirculation feature to turn the AC off and leave the vent on for couple mins to prevent moisture from building.

Hope that helps

FlyByGti1

Go Kart Champion
Im getting mine in probably 2 weeks. Im also having them check and possibly just change the cam follower, because i plan to go stage 2 next month, and i want to start fresh.

I thought Camfollowers didn't really need to be looked at until 60-70k??

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I thought Camfollowers didn't really need to be looked at until 60-70k??

Not if you're modded... If you're modded I recommend check every 20k specially if you have an upgraded HPFP

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
If you have the APR pump it wears the followers out faster