GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to drain gas tank completely?

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
How do i drain the gas tank completely. I saw the Diy thread for changing the filter. But how do i empty it completely without having to drive the car dry?. I want to change my fuel filter and add 100 oct.

Last edited:

AM407

Autocross Champion
Why bother draining the tank? You might drip an ounce or two of fuel when you change the filter, but whatever. Just have a rag handy.

Then just drive it until the fuel light comes on before filling with 100 octane. Okay, so the first tank might only end up at 99 octane, but by the second fill it’ll be full of 100.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
the easiest way to switch fuels because im to lazy to drain a fuel tank..
Is run your current tank to almost empty (Range less than 5 miles) the nput half a tank of 100 in then do the same concept again run it as empty as you want (preferably with a range of less than 5 miles). Then fill up 100 and you should have 99.9 octane by then.

Once you reach your second or if you are really scared 3rd tank of 100 switch your tune over to your 100 octane tune and you are good to go.

As for the fuel filter when changing it just park the car.. let it sit for a bit like overnight Then jack it up and disconnect.. remember to wrap your wrist in paper towels as you dont want fuel running down your arms into your face. The most important thing you can remember to do is to NOT open your door before you go to change the filter.. if you open the door the filter will get primed and you'll dump a lot more fuel all over yourself. But if done after sitting for awhile and not opening the door only a small amount of fuel should come out.
Another pointer is to use those little caps that came on the new filter to cap your old one so you dont shift it and some fuel comes out unexpectedly

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
Thanks for the advise. But i wanted to drain it completely bc i didnt want to spend half a tank on cleaning it out. 100+ octane gas is freaking expensive! So i just figured let me empty it out so im not wasting my money on cleaning it out.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for the advise. But i wanted to drain it completely bc i didnt want to spend half a tank on cleaning it out. 100+ octane gas is freaking expensive! So i just figured let me empty it out so im not wasting my money on cleaning it out.
i mean i suppose. i dont know how much 100 octane is

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Cheapest i found was $81 for 5 gallon drum at my local NAPA store. Or i have to go to my local dragway witch is 45 mim away. And i have to pay entry fee + $65 for a 5 gallon drum.
oh you dont have pumps? I have one in about half an hour from my house for Sunnoco 100.. I think its like $8-9 a gallon last time i saw it. (That was a while ago)

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
I do but not sure if i trust it. And its about $10/gallon. I would prefer to learn how to drain it. And just add the sealed 100 octane gas.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I do but not sure if i trust it. And its about $10/gallon. I would prefer to learn how to drain it. And just add the sealed 100 octane gas.
mmkay.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Siphon it out?
i believe the neck/inlet has "anti-Siphon" but thats just something ive heard ive never actually tried to siphon the gas out

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Cant believe no one knows how. I guess i will have to run the car as low as possible.
thats the easiest way i know how. have you taken it to a mechanic im sure someone from a shop can do it for you.