GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Only NA After GTI?

BlueE30

Ready to race!
Came from a V8 4Runner and do miss the displacement. The GTI has been a great car so far but I don't know that I'll stick with an FI car if keeping for long term. Possibly a Golf R I'll lease or buy and keep for 4-5 years, keep a warranty on it and dump it when the warranty expires? Not sure.

I absolutely love the B7 S4's with the 4.2 V8... finding one of those in a 6 speed, setting aside $5-$6k for an inevitable timing chain job may be a reality. Don't know how the wife would feel about that high of a repair bill for a car that is close to the same value.

The Infiniti's are great with the 3.7l but I feel they lack soul, just kind of boring, quick when you mash it and relatively crappy on fuel.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I was actually just looking at a Challenger scat pack shaker edition.
But i dont mind any engine to be honest. I will pick any car regardless of NA, Turbo, or Supercharger.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
But to be honest i may be looking at the Mazda Diesel CX-5 when it comes out next year. I kinda want a more practical car and would love the mileage of a diesel engine getting 40+ in a SUV.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
I guess I'm in the minority but I actually like having a small turbo for my daily driver. Quick spool and decent torque down low, but without the poor fuel economy/weight of a larger engine.

For a fun car though, I agree go N/A. I'd probably go with a Camaro SS 1LE.

HoldDaMayo

Leaner and Meaner
Lots of comments I strongly relate to... this one below is exactly how I feel. I'm seriously considering a very low mileage almost new 2017 Mustang GT performance package, just under 30k, crazy value imo. Brembo brakes, well over 400hp, and a full factory warranty? The only other car that tempts me is a used 2013 Tesla P85... maybe if I found a nice one right at 40k it would be enough to tempt me into the upkeep/maint cycle that drives me absolutely nuts.

GTI is great if all you've known is NA V6s which have limited potential without going FI on them as well. That said, my next runner is a new Mustang GT. The v8 with a procharger should be fantastic, and completely reversible. 4-bangers are fun, but the VW brand is sinking in quality as I've noticed, and I'm not going through another long block, headliner, mechatronic unit, window regulators, shitty speakers that require serious effort to replace, blow by build up, timing chains, water pumps, etc. This car was fun when I had no money and no real clue what I could really do with more displacement, but time to "bye felicia" the fuck out of this GTI within a year or so, with no plans to look back. Next FI engine from factory is going to be attached to an R33 if I have anything to say about it once they hit legally.

Roctre

Ready to race!
In a few years I will be getting a s550 mustang gt since ive been missing a v8 in my life since my first car 4 years ago. Ive considered a new gen camaro but I don't feel comfortable inside it.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
I love FI and my GTI, there isn't anything between 30-40k out right now that I would go out of my way to switch it out for.

If I had to switch to an NA motor? Either a C6 Corvette GS or Cayman S.

Roctre

Ready to race!
I love FI and my GTI.

If I were to ever hop into a new platform it would be just that... RWD, Engine in the back, with a V6.... That's right kiddos, I'd be hopping into a Cayman S. :)

I thought you were talking about an nsx since porsche doesn't use a V6.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
I thought you were talking about an nsx since porsche doesn't use a V6.

You're absolutely right, they use flat-6s don't they? and, I fixed it as you quoted me. :p

My best friend's brother has an NSX and I'm not really a fan. It's amazing, but it isn't me.

Last edited:

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
If my 2006 Mustang GT hadn't been horrible in the reliability department, I would have added a Kenne Bell to it. So, IDK about going back to Naturally Aspirated again, lol. Even if I picked up a used C6 Z06, I'd probably add a supercharger to it. Just because...

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
I've been looking at a 2008 RS4 for a while and it hasn't moved off the market and is still around the 30k mark. Would be a fun car but at 70k miles it's a ticking time bomb for expensive repairs like timing chain and carbon cleaning and even possibly suspension work. It was entertaining at the time and one of my dream cars but the cost alone for the miles on it and the maintenance costs wouldn't make it a daily. Timing isn't good either. I like my GTI but I know I'll want something more powerful in the end. Down the road I could get a nice used Audi SQ5 and be bigger and can easily crank out over 400hp with a tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kad10

Passed Driver's Ed
Knock on wood, my GTI has been a reliable beast, but Im definitely thinking e46 M3 next round. I love my car and its the first one I've owned that was FI but I really miss high revving N/A engines. I will say, the instant power is addicting in the GTI

Last edited:

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Went from NA to FI 9 years ago, have had 5 VW/Audi with no major issues of any kind and have never looked back.

FI are no less reliable than NA other than having one extra part in the turbo. If built properly, maintained well, and treated correctly there is no difference. By that regard the most reliable car out there is a Model T as it has so few moving parts. LOL

My next car is the TT-RS, 0-60 in 3.5 seconds (or less) and EPA rating to get 29MPG highway. Show me a NA that can do that. :thumbsup:

Boost for life :burnrubber:

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Went from NA to FI 9 years ago, have had 5 VW/Audi with no major issues of any kind and have never looked back.

FI are no less reliable than NA other than having one extra part in the turbo. If built properly, maintained well, and treated correctly there is no difference. By that regard the most reliable car out there is a Model T as it has so few moving parts. LOL

My next car is the TT-RS, 0-60 in 3.5 seconds (or less) and EPA rating to get 29MPG highway. Show me a NA that can do that. :thumbsup:

Boost for life :burnrubber:

lol, I have a running joke with my wife... She wants a Subaru Forester XT next and I keep toying with the idea of getting a TTS or TTRS for myself. Well, I guess the stigma would be worse if I was considering a Mini Cooper to go with her Subaru. :lol: