GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

...vs. BMW 1 series

Status
Not open for further replies.

fullback

Passed Driver's Ed
From what I understand the 135i is a wicked little car, but the 128i is beatable right. What do you think?

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
the 1-series is just a smaller, lighter 3-series, so they are more dangerous in a race

DvS21

Ready to race!
Meh the one series is fat, I mean, we are talking within 200 lbs of the 3 series.

Unless you have the cash for a decently optioned 135i (40ish grand) I think you are better off with the GTI.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
the 128i is shit

the 135i is THE shit

the GTI is THE SHIT and 10K-15K less!

:thumbsup:

DvS21

Ready to race!
the 128i is shit

the 135i is THE shit

I dunno, I'm pretty sure the 135 could spank a GTI, stock for stock. Our redeeming feature is that we have pretty much all the features of a 135 and the power can be brought up to 135 level with ease.

All in all though, the 135 is a twin turbo inline 6 with RWD.... if I was a more irresponsible budgeter I may have had one of them parked in my driveway. The RWD just.... it makes it that much better.

Randum

Go Kart Champion
the 128i is shit

the 135i is THE shit

lol yeah, a little extra time and money the GTI could match or beat a stock 135, I wish the 135 looked better, then id be all over it...

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I dunno, I'm pretty sure the 135 could spank a GTI, stock for stock. Our redeeming feature is that we have pretty much all the features of a 135 and the power can be brought up to 135 level with ease.

All in all though, the 135 is a twin turbo inline 6 with RWD.... if I was a more irresponsible budgeter I may have had one of them parked in my driveway. The RWD just.... it makes it that much better.

Oh...the 135i would win hands down stock for stock. It wouldnt be much of a race. You missed the point of my post.

You get everything except the 300hp engine and RWD

RIP335

Go Kart Champion
lol yeah, a little extra time and money the GTI could match or beat a stock 135, I wish the 135 looked better, then id be all over it...

You'd need a stage 3 just to compete, my friend has a stage 3 mkv GTI and I had a stock 335 at the time. We went head to head and I still beat him. Then I got a turbo tuner and that got me at 380 hp and tq and...... Damn I miss that phucken car:(

Halvie

WOOSA
You'd need a stage 3 just to compete, my friend has a stage 3 mkv GTI and I had a stock 335 at the time. We went head to head and I still beat him. Then I got a turbo tuner and that got me at 380 hp and tq and...... Damn I miss that phucken car:(

Run from a roll? Don't get how you would beat it any other way. Mid 13 second car stock. Thought stage 3 was faster than k04, and people with k04s are posting high 12 second 1/4.

OverTimer1

Go Kart Champion
The 135 is a sick car but a k04 gti would eat it with the right driver stock for stock forget it mod for mod forget it that's how it goes when your comparing two good engines of different sizes. My 0.2.....

r.c.y.k.1

Passed Driver's Ed
stock 135 or 335 would beat any stage 2 Gti. I had 335i too. i know.. i raced with my friend's stage 2 mk6 before the lease return on my 335i. and it was a easy win... stage 3, then I dunno.. but remember, 135i is lighter than 335i by 200lbs, so it could be a good race between 135i and stage 3 GTi..

msm00b

Ready to race!
Shit, I hate to quote specs, but sometimes you just gotta cut through the bullshit. Here goes:

335i
Unladen 3560 (3582) lbs
Engine: Liter/type/valves per cylinder TwinPower Turbo 3.0/inline 6/4
Nominal output hp/rpm 300/5800
Max. torque lb-ft/rpm 300/1200-5000
Acceleration 0-60 mph (5.5) sec

135i
Unladen weight3373 (3439) lbs
Engine: Liter/type/valves per cylinder TwinPower Turbo 3.0/inline 6/4
Nominal output @ 300hp @ 5800 hp
Maximum torque @ 300 @ 1200-5000 lb-ft
Acceleration 0-60 mph: (5.1) sec 7-SPEED Double Clutch

Stage 1 GTI with intake 0-62mph 5.6sec per APRs numbers
Stage 2 GTI with intake/downpipe 0-60? It's difficult to say as there are no published numbers, but the extra 15-20hp, torque, and wider power band put some estimates I've researched handily btw 5-5.4 with a decent set of tires.

I had 335i too. i know.. i raced with my friend's stage 2 mk6 before the lease return on my 335i. and it was a easy win...

If it was an "easy win" then your friend sucks at driving. Will the beemer win by I hair? I wouldn't be surprised ... but it'll ultimately be a drivers race. A stage 2 GTI will have more torque than the 335. It's lighter (3200lbs) than the 335 and 135, and will be pushing similar hp output (~280 range at stage 2 on 93 octane with an intake and downpipe). Point is, it shouldn't have been an easy win. Period.

so it could be a good race between 135i and stage 3 GTi..

Stage 3 GTI with a decent set of tires would destroy a stock 135i. It would destroy the 335i stock as well. Take a look at the following:

Honestly what it boils down to is RWD vs FWD. Any FWD vehicle will end up hitting a brick wall due to traction issues in the first 2 gears. With as much torque as a tuned GTI puts out (on a FWD car) ... getting power to the ground from a standstill is tricky. Honestly, though, the moral of the story is who gives a shit about 0-60s. Unless you're an immature adolescent dragging at every other red light, it means nothing.

Passing power, torque, and "usable power" in daily driving and/or around the track are what matter. Once you get past 2nd gear and your wheels aren't spinning, I'd wager that the stage 2 GTI has the pwr/weight ratio to snarf the heavier beemer handily and keep up neck and neck with the lighter beemer (135i) just fine. The pwr/weight ratio on a Stage III kitted GTI is simply insane.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.