GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Differences between the tsi and fsi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I guess you guys arent getting what my question is and no one has anwsered my question yet. Why does the tsi create more power then the fsi when adding a k04? I wasnt aware that they were that different thats why i was asking but still im confused as why a mk5 owner has to replace fp/ijectors to install a k04 when we dont have to do this .

Yes the TSI(EA888) will make more power than the FSI(EA113) with the k04.

/end thread

Uberryan

Banned
obviously because racecar

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Ok your stating things i already know bud. Why what is the big major difference thats causing the power to be more then the fsi?

Why don't you read any of the links that were provided for you? The answers are all there.

Better Fuel Delivery system, less parasitic losses etc etc

NOLA-Ron

Go Kart Champion
Timing belt or timing chain?

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing belt here? Negating the engine cover designation, this looks like the FSI to me. I'm no expert on the FSI (nor TSI for that matter), but my 2 friends that have the FSI, their engines look like this.

I guess you guys arent getting what my question is and no one has anwsered my question yet. Why does the tsi create more power then the fsi when adding a k04? I wasnt aware that they were that different thats why i was asking but still im confused as why a mk5 owner has to replace fp/ijectors to install a k04 when we dont have to do this .

Ok your stating things i already know bud. Why what is the big major difference thats causing the power to be more then the fsi?

Looking at the exact differences posted from the links, I would guess fuel system and compression differences.

But yes, TSI does make more power. Now, I'm not sure if that's a difference at the CRANK or at the WHEELS. If it's measure to make more power at the wheels then you have to factor in the loss of power from the AWD system versus FWD - more loss of power to wheels in AWD configuration. But, I'm pretty sure crank vs crank the TSI still makes more power. Now cue the "ZOMG 100 MORE HP ON FWD ISN'T FASTER THAN 100 LESS ON AWD RAHHHHH". LOL :thumbsup:

The TSI is also a newer motor compared to the aging FSI.

EDIT: Here you go.... (from the link posted above)
Originally Posted by Arin@APR

The FSI head does not flow as well as the TSI.
The FSI is more susceptible to knock than the TSI.
The FSI does not have as good of a fueling system as the TSI.
The FSI has more internal losses compared to the TSI.

The TSI is just better so it makes more power. We should expect that form a completely new engine from VW. That's how progress works. That's all.

StayStetti

Banned
No I knew what he meant, but I figured in a thread on a topic that has been beaten to death almost as much as "which chip", might as well turn it into something educational :)

TSI= vw forced induction direct injection
FSI = Audi normally aspirated direct injection
TFSI = Audi forced induction direct injection.

Normally aspirated? Guess my mkv doesn't have a turbo :iono:

NOLA-Ron

Go Kart Champion
You have a TFSI on your MKV, even though the engine cover says differently.

So this is the marketing BS Chris@Revo is talking about?

I heard this before.... so then when we (forum) say FSI, it really is TSFI.. but when Audi/VW said FSI, it really means FSI (non turbo)... and when they refer to MK5 and Golf R US models they mean TFSI?

So in short...
MK6 GTI = TSI (Engine says TSI)
MK6 US Golf R = TFSI but we call it FSI (Engine says TSI)
MK5 GTI = TFSI but we call it FSI (Engine says TSI)

:confused:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

I heard this before.... so then when we (forum) say FSI, it really is TSFI.. but when Audi/VW said FSI, it really means FSI (non turbo)... and when they refer to MK5 and Golf R US models they mean TFSI?

So in short...
MK6 US Golf R = TFSI but we call it FSI (Engine says TSI)
MK5 GTI = TFSI but we call it FSI (Engine says FSI)
MK5 GTI 2008.5+= (Engine says TSI)

Almost got it

Uberryan

Banned

So in short...
MK6 US Golf R = TFSI but we call it TFSI (People call it an FSI because it's the same TFSI out of the MKV, but with minor upgrades and bolstering, and because the MKV's cover said FSI. That's where the mistake comes from) (Engine says TSI)
MK5 GTI = TFSI but we call it FSI (Engine says FSI)

ftfy

That's a Golf R engine bay pictured. My MKV GTI had FSI on the engine cover.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Mk5 cover said FSI turbo actually.

Prior to 08 VW and Audi used the same names, my mistake I did leave that part out.

Current nomenclature is as I listed with TSI and FSI having no bearing on what physical engine lays under it. One is used by VW one is used by Audi and that is the only difference.

As for the difference between the two physical engines and why they may respond differently to a k04 there are no simple answers but the quoted information above from Arin about knock control, head flow, etc all play a part.

C4L

Banned
There is technically no difference between an FSI and TSI engine as they are simply marketing labels that can be found on both engines. :)

ACTUALLY.

The TSI moved the location of the direct injectors to reduce the possibility of carbon build-up AND the TSI motor switched from a timing belt found on the FSI to a timing chain.

Those are the two major differences....

Status
Not open for further replies.