GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 TDI or MK7 TDI?

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
I big time wish I went TDI Golf instead of 2.0T Tiguan this time around. I went from 44US MPG (in my 2006 TDI) avg to 26-27 (on $$$ Cdn Premium 91octane). And I get to pay $500 every other year to get decarboned.

I had a Corolla at the same time as the TDI, my commute was high speed hwy 70mph+. Corolla was stuck at about 27MPG at my higher commuting speeds.

TDI has big time driveability advantage (horsepower is always there without downshifting), my 2.0T chipped feels pretty good too though.

You typically get back the difference when you sell here in Canada 10year old TDIs are still going for up to $6000, forget about that in any gasser.

Gas prices are down right now, so i think there's a stronger argument for a economy car that runs on low octane fuel, even premium but i don't know how long its going to last for and you still can't touch the final TDi numbers or the quality of the MK6 Golf. I think that they give the Corolla a CVT transmission... better on gas but i can only imagine how fun that car is to drive :lol:

My car in 2023 will get me great resale :)

Decarboned? I haven't heard of that before... I used to just give the car a hard throttling while on-ramping the highway. Does that not work for the Tig?

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
Hey guys,
New member here with a quest to find some good advice. Hope you guys can help me...
I recently got a new job where I'm going to be commuting about 45miles(90miles round trip). I was planing to wait for the golf mk7 tdi but with this new job and my current crappy car, I'm in need of a new car.
Because of the cost of gas here in California I'm not considering the GTI just yet but instead I'm considering a golf mk6 TDI for my commute purposes. I love the current look of the golf and also the mk7. I never had a TDI before so I don't know how to compare it with other cars or their reliability.
In terms of the TDI lineup, is there going to be a huge improvement from the mk6 tdi to the mk7 tdi?
Here in the US we are expected to get the mk7 until approx April 2014. I'm thinking the new mk7 here in the US will come with electrical bugs and other errors since is not going to be entirely the same production as in Europe.
What you guys think is a good approach to this situation?
I'm considering the 2013 golf mk6 tdi with DSG auto
Is the reliability for the golf with the DSG auto a good choice for commute?

Thanks all for your opinions/advice.

In regards to the above question, i wonder how the production quality changes between a Wolfsburg built car and a Mexican equivalent? I'm going to scan the MK7 sight for quality discussions..

engineered2win

Ready to race!
I test drove a Mk7 GTI 4dr DSG and it was fantastic. It's making about 215 ft-lbs at 1500rpm, which is pretty darn torquey for a gasoline turbo 4. Other than the trans, which wasn't a 6MT, the rest of the car was a significant upgrade to my Mk6 TDI. It has more room, significantly quieter, much better infotainment system, and the GTI is rated at 34mpg highway. It would be difficult to choose the TDI for 5-10mpg difference knowing all the emissions problems I've had with my Mk6.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
Kinda shocked that the MK7 2-door hatchback TDI is not available for the U.S. market.

Though popular in Europe, these are sadly considered "niche" vehicles in the U.S. They don't sell nearly as well here.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
I'd go MkVI TDI over a MkVII because I believe the MKVII Golf TDI uses the ad blue. The MkVII GTI on the other hand is great in manual or DSG. Driven both.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
o_O I have a '12 2dr 6mt GTI and I get 400+ mile fuel ups around town, 475+ on the highway. That's almost alarmingly low. I would expect min 500 around town in the TDI, 600+ highway.

I do 550-600+ miles per fuel up on my '12 TDI, but it isn't really comparable to the MKVII. The 7 has a significantly smaller fuel tank (iirc like 13.2 gallons?) so the range is reduced mainly from that.

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
Low fuel economy? I notice mine is is as low as 525 mi per fill in the really cold weather. Tire pressure, travel speed, air conditioning (even window defrost), and cruise control lower my mileage. Try to adjust these factors to get better mileage.