GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Towing w/Golf TDI

cooch

i towed my 5x8 trailer with my zx6r and my brothers 600rr to the dragon in north carolina just fine. managed 34mpg and took hills just great. i dont know how the dsg does towing but 6spd is great

puck823

I have a 2013 Golf TDI. I'm moving appox 2000 miles and have animals so I'd rather haul a trailer with my car than rent a truck and tow the car. My question is how much can I really tow with my car? I'm really confused between total weight and hitch weight. A U-haul 12 ft trailer has an empty weight of 1920 lbs which seems like a lot. The total weight is 4400 lbs. Is this too much for my car?
The other question is about hitches...class 1 vs. class 2. Can the Golf handle a class 2 and if so where do I get one?
Thanks!

MerkXR4

Passed Driver's Ed
bump.

I'm looking to put a hitch on my MK6 GTI and really only see Class 1 hitches out there. I'm wondering if there are any Class 2 hitch options for our cars.

My concern with the Class 1 hitch is that they have a max weight lower than the Class 2 hitches. This is because of where they mount on the underside of the car. I believe the Class 1 hitch mounts to locations that are not as structurally reinforced as the location a Class 2 (if it exists) would mount to.

I do not want to load a Class 1 hitch carrying my bikes and/or any significant weight and have it bend or damage a weak point on the car... that is my concern.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Unfortunately there is no Class 2 hitch for the mk5/mk6 golf/jetta platform that i'm aware of.
Class 1 hitch by the major brands (curt, torklift ecohitch, hidden hitch) are fine for loading bikes (200 lb load rating at Class 1). You're more likely to run into trouble with how much weight is displaced over the rear suspension than damage to your car.

gliitch

Ready to race!
remember that towing is not about being able to pull the weight, its about being able to stop the weight.

Jasinto

I have towed MANY motorcycles with my 2011 Golf TDi, with a lightweight trailer. I've towed 2 sportbikes on the same trailer for 10hrs, with all of our gear, generator, spare wheels and tires... Only had to downshift once for power, still got 35mpg.

Just have to be smart about braking and manuvering, plan ahead. I've never had a problem to speak of, but I have lots of towing experience with trucks.

I'm using the Curt hitch. I had to get an extended ball mount just because my car is lowered. Definitely plan ahead, my trailer sways a LOT with a cruiser on it, but thats because theres more weight on the back of the trailer. I'll post pics when I get home.