GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intake Valves ticking

spenny02

Ready to race!
I recently replaced my water pump and cleaned the valves while i had the manifold off. After i was finished i let the car sit for awhile, around 5 months, and only starting it every so often to circulate everything. Today i started it up and took it for a drive to get everything circulating. When i pulled it back in the garage i heard what sounds to me like the intake valves ticking. You can hear it in my videos and its definitely not the normal direct injection ticking as you can also hear that. Any idea on what the cause might be or am i wrong about it being the valves?

https://youtu.be/d3bzgKcipk4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQaix7VcctA&feature=youtu.be

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Interesting.

I dont think its valve noise. Wonder if it has anything to do with the drive belt?

to me it almost sounds like a belt or pulley sound.

Hard to tell in the video. Just my guess.

Love to hear what the Guru's here think it is.....

Jeff

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Hows your oil level? Lifters will get noisy if your oil level isn't high enough. I can't tell if it's lifter noise from the video though.

spenny02

Ready to race!
I have found a video on youtube of a Tiguan TSI with the same sound coming from the car. The comments were saying its the evap. Which is around where the sound is coming from. Thoughts?

spenny02

Ready to race!
Hows your oil level? Lifters will get noisy if your oil level isn't high enough. I can't tell if it's lifter noise from the video though.

Just checked, the oil level is fine. And the oil change was done around 5 months ago with motul. There is less than 500 miles on this change too.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
That's normal. Its the Evap Purge valve running it will activate as it needs to. The sound of reminds me of the pilot light from a gas stove rapidly clicking. This is like a weekly question on the FB pages and have seen the exact same concerns about this noise on here quite a few times! Since it comes on randomly people always think something is broken and the noise is obviously different than the normal DI tick.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
drive the car around for a bit and see if it goes away on its own. People always joke that these cars need to be driven, and now I understand why. Its not good for any car to sit for too long.

As my GTI sits in my garage with a battery tender on it. haha. I have put about 1800 miles on my car in 2 yrs. What a waste.

Jeff

spenny02

Ready to race!
That's normal. Its the Evap Purge valve running it will activate as it needs to. The sound of reminds me of the pilot light from a gas stove rapidly clicking. This is like a weekly question on the FB pages and have seen the exact same concerns about this noise on here quite a few times! Since it comes on randomly people always think something is broken and the noise is obviously different than the normal DI tick.

Yea it definitely has a strange worrying sound to it. I have seen multiple people state that it is the evap. I guess i will take your word for it. thanks.

spenny02

Ready to race!
drive the car around for a bit and see if it goes away on its own. People always joke that these cars need to be driven, and now I understand why. Its not good for any car to sit for too long.

As my GTI sits in my garage with a battery tender on it. haha. I have put about 1800 miles on my car in 2 yrs. What a waste.

Jeff

I will drive it to work all this week and see if everything still checks out. the reason i haven't been driving it is because the water pump still leaks after i changed it. Not nearly as bad, but still a slight leak. I'm guessing i just didn't tighten something up good enough. Idk if you have ever changed the water pump on these cars, but its kind of a b**** to get to. Ill just keep some coolant with me and check it often until i can muster up the will power to take the manifold back apart.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I will drive it to work all this week and see if everything still checks out. the reason i haven't been driving it is because the water pump still leaks after i changed it. Not nearly as bad, but still a slight leak. I'm guessing i just didn't tighten something up good enough. Idk if you have ever changed the water pump on these cars, but its kind of a b**** to get to. Ill just keep some coolant with me and check it often until i can muster up the will power to take the manifold back apart.

I had water pumps replaced under warranty. I wouldn't want to do it, not that I couldn't, just everything is plastic and knowing my luck I would over torque something and mess up a seal or crack something. Peace of mind sometimes is worth having a person familiar with the car do it for you.

But if money is tight? I get it totally, but then again, you have a leak so how much are you really saving?

Jeff

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Evap, probably. That or the PCV maybe?