GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chip TDI w/o losing warranty

Thumper

Autocross Champion
i really need to get a boost gauge. that digital one plac got is like $500. i just can't spend a dime more on this stupid car for like, a while.

There's always the Torque App. Haven't tried it yet but will probably get it in a few weeks.

I have to stop soon, I also got this car to save money........ last time I added it up I've dropped about $5k.........

engineered2win

Ready to race!
One of the main purposes of the chip is to up the fuel pressure and deliver more fuel, so a dealership in theory could void the crucial powertrain warranty on the fuel system which can fail in a catastrophic fashion on these cars.

Only crappy tunes will raise your rail pressure excessively. Rail pressure is a function of engine speed, so unless you are at high rpm, there is a limit to how much pressure you can generate from the pump. Please do not spread this disinformation. Talk to Malone tuning if you don't believe me.

wrich73

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you using anything to monitor your fuel pressure?

Hmm, does anyone know what measuring block that would be in VCDS? Wouldn't be hard to log the difference between a stock and a tuned.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
One of the main purposes of the chip is to up the fuel pressure and deliver more fuel, so a dealership in theory could void the crucial powertrain warranty on the fuel system which can fail in a catastrophic fashion on these cars.

Not aware of any tunes on the market that increase fuel pressure over stock.

Quantity and timing can be changed without increasing pressure.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
My question is how do you monitors A/F Ratios, Boost, FP without gauges. There's no way to tell whether you are safely tune or not.

The ECU does all this, every tune i have seen on the market works within the stock parameters including EGTs. I don't care how many gauges you have you are not faster then the ecu is. Before you could even slightly detect something was off your car would have already detuned itself to keep things safe, this isn't the 60s with carbs.. hell this isn't even the late 90s with narrow band 02 sensors.

Gauges can be fun and they can be useful for diagnosis in some case but there is nothing a gauge will tell you that would make your car any safer because a modern ECU is just that good.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Has the DSG issue been fixed on the TDI tunes or is it still recommended to get both an engine and DSG tune at the same time?

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
we haven't pin pointed the issue that some with DSGs are having with our tune where it pulls back right before a shift. Most likely it will require a DSG flash to maintain current power levels or it will require a detuned flash which most don't want.

BrShootr

Ready to race!
Well last I checked... more power=more fuel.

But I guess stranger things have happened.

I could be wrong but I think mostly they're changing the timing and length of the fuel delivery, not really the amount. (I know, if you drop fuel longer you're dropping more fuel overall but what I mean is that it's about the same amount of fuel sprayed, just longer or at a different interval than stock. Meaning, no nozzles or pump upgrades needed for a stage 1 and rail pressures remain the same)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I could be wrong but I think mostly they're changing the timing and length of the fuel delivery, not really the amount. (I know, if you drop fuel longer you're dropping more fuel overall but what I mean is that it's about the same amount of fuel sprayed, just longer or at a different interval than stock. Meaning, no nozzles or pump upgrades needed for a stage 1 and rail pressures remain the same)

That is correct stage 1 is pretty mild. Injectors and pumps are stock.

SuperCommuterGolf

Ready to race!
The ECU does all this, every tune i have seen on the market works within the stock parameters including EGTs. I don't care how many gauges you have you are not faster then the ecu is. Before you could even slightly detect something was off your car would have already detuned itself to keep things safe, this isn't the 60s with carbs.. hell this isn't even the late 90s with narrow band 02 sensors.

Gauges can be fun and they can be useful for diagnosis in some case but there is nothing a gauge will tell you that would make your car any safer because a modern ECU is just that good.

I appreciate the response. I am by no means an expert with tuning but how do we the end user know that our fuel pump is keeping up with the demands of a Stage 1 tune?

I apologize in advance if this sounds like a stupid question but from experience tuning my MS3, the fuel pump was the weak link with OTS tunes. The COBB AP was there for one to monitor this straight from the ECU which including datalogging to make sure you had a safe tune.

BrShootr

Ready to race!
I appreciate the response. I am by no means an expert with tuning but how do we the end user know that our fuel pump is keeping up with the demands of a Stage 1 tune?

I apologize in advance if this sounds like a stupid question but from experience tuning my MS3, the fuel pump was the weak link with OTS tunes. The COBB AP was there for one to monitor this straight from the ECU which including datalogging to make sure you had a safe tune.

Read my post above. There are many fail safe and monitoring systems in the car, you'd get error codes when scanning the car if there were any problems, that's why tuners need people with vag-com to monitor their cars while in the testing phase.

SuperCommuterGolf

Ready to race!
Read my post above. There are many fail safe and monitoring systems in the car, you'd get error codes when scanning the car if there were any problems, that's why tuners need people with vag-com to monitor their cars while in the testing phase.

Missed your post. So basically Stage 1 should work for every car with no issues? That sounds good to me.

Like I said I am coming from a car that needed constant monitoring because the Fuel Pump was not up to speed with a Stage 1 upgrade, so I am a little more cautious.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion

No tuner on the planet would be in business long if they produced an unsafe tune. A stage 1 tune from everyone is going to work within the factory safety parameters, you don't stay in business blowing things up.

If your fuel pressure wasn't keeping up the car would pull back power to stock or even below stock if need be. This would happen well before you could even detect there was a problem.

The fuel pump in the MS3 is the same one used in the early 2.0T applications and it had the same issues with keeping up with demand of a stage 1 tune that was a little to aggressive in the low rpms, so tuners detuned the vehicles to work around it. If the tune was a little too demanding there was a very noticeable drop in power as the car would shut itself down to keep things safe.

You can log all the info you want with VCDS before and after the flash if you want, you don't need actual gauges they are not worth the investment for daily use.