GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tracking my MK6 2.5

smk6

I want to track/autocross my golf. I'm wondering if any one here track/autocrosses there's? If so are there any parts know to fail or to be cautious of, before beating on it :)

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
No just get out there and tear the car up. The engine is super strong and can handle the abuse I am sure the trans will hold up just as well. I have not yet tracked my car but I beat the hell out of it on almost a regular basis and it is still holding up strong.

smk6

The video didn't work for me either. What kind of bbk do you have?

I really want to do the ecs oem front bbk, the gti rotor with a different bracket. I just need to figure out a winter wheel set up I'm going to use my Steelies but the rotors don't fit with those.:(

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
The video didn't work for me either. What kind of bbk do you have?

I really want to do the ecs oem front bbk, the gti rotor with a different bracket. I just need to figure out a winter wheel set up I'm going to use my Steelies but the rotors don't fit with those.:(

Buy some 16" steelies off a jetta or whatever. Kinda hard to find because no one wants to buy steelies but some times people post them up for sale.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
If its a whole day deal I would change your oil before and after. Also pay close attention to tire pressure, oil levels, etc.

Also try your helmet on in the car before you head down. With the newer headrests your probably going to want to turn it around or take it out completely.

smk6

If its a whole day deal I would change your oil before and after. Also pay close attention to tire pressure, oil levels, etc.

Also try your helmet on in the car before you head down. With the newer headrests your probably going to want to turn it around or take it out completely.

Haha I drove home in it just to make sure I was comfortable.

Yea where I work alot of people track there cars, I'm going to bring a spray bottle with water just for in between to spray tires, extra quart of oil.

madbikes

Ready to race!
I took my 2.5L with no mods and OE tires to Thunderhill Raceway.

I'm not good at downshifting, so I just ran the whole track in 3rd gear. Since this is on the 2012+ 5-speed ratio (longer compared to the ones before), I end up going about 96mph before I brake at the end of the main straight.

smk6

I took my 2.5L with no mods and OE tires to Thunderhill Raceway.

I'm not good at downshifting, so I just ran the whole track in 3rd gear. Since this is on the 2012+ 5-speed ratio (longer compared to the ones before), I end up going about 96mph before I brake at the end of the main straight.

that's an awesome video. I really wanted to take it stock to the track first, but I just couldn't resists buying stuff for it!:)

Paul122157

I don't track the golf, planing to do so, but I do back road driving videos where I compete with many other cars. It has kept up to everything so far. The more turns the better it is for a 2.5l driver. We catch up in low speed turns! Here is one of my videos where I chase a 650 Vstrom. Excuse the talking, I'm reviewing my suspension setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9pXjBZgMrI&t=4s

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Had some brake fade my last Track Day, watched a few GTIs fade in the rear view mirror. Last week I swapped out my HPS fronts with these Porterfield R4 Front Brake Pads. I've had great success with Porterfields before on my Porsche so I suspect they will be up to the task. I coulda used Stop Tech or Hawk HP or similar but the major advantage is they are progressive and provide good feel even when really HOT. Make sure you bleed your brake fluid, that makes a big difference as well.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/PMBAP1107.htm?pn=PMB-AP1107&SVSVSI=5073

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/search.php

Expensive but worth it IMO.

Last edited: