GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coil Packs

corydd

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the info. One last question. I assume when I have a misfire and go to replace the coil with an R8 coil that it would be required to replace them all, or at least would make sense to do that anyway.

You certainly don't have to replace them all at exactly the same time, so don't feel like you have to carry 4 R8 coil packs in your car just in case. But if you do end up needing it, I'd probably go ahead and replace the rest when you have a chance.

The coil packs in these cars are known to blow out unpredictably, so I would highly recommend keeping at least one in your car so you don't get stranded on the side of the road.

honda2vw

Ready to race!
I would just take that opportunity to just replace them when that one blows.

I hate having a cloud hang over my head when the next one will blow.

Im running 4 r8 coils and i keep 2 spares in my trunk.

I changed my coils the day i went stage 2

The_Koof1

Ready to race!
I changed mine to R8 coils and NGK plugs a few thousand miles after going Stage 2. Stock coils were fine but I just wanted that extra piece of mind.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
I like to offer some advice on the tune. I did APR stage 1 and ran that for about 15k miles and enjoyed it. Then got a DP six months later and went APR stage 2. If you can afford it, my suggestion is to go stage 2 right off the bat... Stage 2 is much more refined and less spikey with the power, more usable throttle modulation is how I describe the difference..

Coil packs.... Still on the stock ones 22k later.

Sent from my HTC One mini

I was stage 1 for about half a year as well. I personally am glad I didn't go straight to stage 2. I was on the fence for awhile about it because the power bump isn't that impressive, but like you mentioned the smoothing of the power band and higher top end was definitely worth it. I feel that appreciation wouldn't be there had I not experienced stage 1 in the first place.

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
I am really close to pulling to trigger on a Stage 1 tune, probably APR. In regards to the coil packs (forgive me I am not a motor head) it seems there have been many reported failures. I have a couple of questions,
First is there a higher grade of coil pack on the market that can be used, second how can you tell if your coil pack is going bad?

Thanks

I did APR Stage 1 at 30k, got the R8's installed at 65k to smooth out a rough idle.

I was told by a tech that the coil packs should be changed when you change the plugs.

LoveMyGTI8970

Ready to race!
I'm stock and already changed to R8 coils and NGK Iridium plugs at 34400 miles. I plan to go stage 2 next spring. I keep my stock coils in a cabinet in the garage. I would just change them if it were me. But I just like the pease of mind.

recognized1

Go Kart Champion
I have been Stage 2 for over 2 years on stock coils. I track my car with zero issues. However, I finally pulled the trigger on some R8 coils and had them delivered today. I plan on slapping them on this weekend.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
I'm on the R8 coils wagon. But just make sure you get the R8 ones, not just "red top" coils. I'm pretty sure there is a difference.

McQueen77

Banned
Stage 1 for 25k miles/2 years, still on original coil packs. OEM coil packs, no fancy R8 coil packs or whatever here, and OEM bosch spark plugs. All good, runs like a champ.

You'll be fine. If they do go out, its a cheap, quick, easy fix.

I'm on the R8 coils wagon. But just make sure you get the R8 ones, not just "red top" coils. I'm pretty sure there is a difference.

Im not sure if you're referring to an aftermarket coil or not, but to the best of my knowledge there is only one OEM red coil that will work on the 2.0t engine, which is the R8 one.
http://www.deutscheautoparts.com/View/06E-905-115-E/267872

Did you see another red coil somewhere?

theburningclutch

Ready to race!
Been a year on APR stage 1. Haven not had any coil pack issues and have had a few brisk 10/10ths drives in the mountains outside of town. Though when it is time to change, I will be gong to the R8 coil packs. I've seen great prices too.