GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Light Bar?

Pyotr

Ready to race!
Picked up a cheap 21" LED bar from amazon, going to play with it some see what kind of setup i can rig up. if i can get a nice setup working, still havent settled on how i want to wire it. independently switched, or switched with fogs/high beams

zrickety

The Fixer
On a relay with the fogs for me.

SHOMI

Ready to race!
Interested to see what's been done. I was curious to the laws regarding vehicle lights and found that in Ontario it is a maximum of 4 white or amber lights to the front. There goes tapping into the fogs for me.

Something to keep in mind.

Pyotr

Ready to race!
On a relay with the fogs for me.

my fogs are my DRL's so i wouldn't want this blinding everyone as i drive around normally! i have a euro switch, and i was playing with the idea of using the rear fog switch as the switch for the light bar.

goose1

Ready to race!
Either tap it into the high beam or have it individuality switched. I choose the second option.

sent via carrier potato

zrickety

The Fixer
I don't use DRL and barely the fogs. On a relay with the high beans would be my next choice.

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
I have a 24" LED light bad i plan to mount behind the lower grill on my GTI.

Ill post photos in here when I get it done.

goose1

Ready to race!
My Baja Designs Squadron XLs finally came in and I can't to install them. Gotta wait till I get her back from the bodyshop, damn hit and runs.

Pyotr

Ready to race!
Mounted up my bar today, it fits perfectly, but unfortunately, i need to move my license plate. damn state laws! Due to the way the bumper is designed, i would opt for a 24" or larger bar the next time, since the bumper slopes in towards the middle where i bolted mine on.

I bolted my bar to the bottom to the bumper, note: if you also do this USE A CARBIDE DRILLBIT. it took me an hour, and a broken bit to finally break down and go get one.

Still working on wiring, but ill post up some images when i finally get the relay installed.

EDIT: wiring is on hold. found a wiring diagram for the car... and i have no bloody clue where to hook in, so im going to cascade two elays, so that the light turns off with the ignition switch

Last edited:

Fantasiamon

Passed Driver's Ed
my fogs are my DRL's so i wouldn't want this blinding everyone as i drive around normally! i have a euro switch, and i was playing with the idea of using the rear fog switch as the switch for the light bar.

I was thinking along the same route. Rear fog for potential lightbar.

Sent using TapaTapaTalkeeTalk

Pyotr

Ready to race!
I was thinking along the same route. Rear fog for potential lightbar.

Sent using TapaTapaTalkeeTalk

Im going to settle on a centre console switch, from CarStyle4you, specifically this: http://shop.carstyle4you.com/product_info.php?info=p314_vw---light-on-off-cover.html

since i dont have access to VAGcom coding to enable my rear fogs, this is the next best thing for me. someday i may switch it (pun not intended!) but i think this setup will work well enough for now.

Pyotr

Ready to race!
Finished my install! pretty happy with the end results, need to aim it properly though. i do wish it was brighter though.

Finished wiring. Relay is a HELLA weather proof relay and matching harness

For now, its just switched with a simple switch until i get my proper one. i want this to look as OEM as possible

End result
yes, there are holes in my bumper from removing the plate, working on filling those is next.

EDIT: so after doing some nighttime driving, im really happy with the bar i installed. while headlights are more directed, this illuminates more around, especially the sides of the road. since i live in an area heavily populated with deer, this is very nice! right now between high beams and the LED bar, i can light up buildings from about a quarter mile away :D

Last edited: