GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Almost Traded my MK6 for an RS today

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
I can't believe you've kept your GTI stock for so long - just a simple stage I flash will change your attitude towards the heavy little GTI that feels like it doesn't want to get out of its own way.

Flash $600-800 depending on tuner, no supporting mods needed. Keeps no car payment and increased smiles per gallon immensely. Car remains quiet and composed but moves out when you want it to. Add intake for added bonus but not needed IMO. Then when you get bored of it again in a couple years go stage II or K04

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
If you're serious about tracking it, there was a lot of discussion early on about how the Focus RS was a very compromised platform from the factory for heavy track use. Terry Fair at Vorshlag did a thorough writeup on it. Definitely worth reading and considering before you trade in your car for it:

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58381#post58381

Also the GTI isn't my normal track car, but I've brought it out a few times and while it's not amazing stock, there's definitely some potential there... if you can live with FWD. If not, don't waste your time modding it. Find something more fun to begin with.

Last edited:

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
I say take the gamble (of still not being happy) and flash to stage 1 and report back in a week.

If you're still not happy, daily the stage 1 no monthly payment GTI and buy a used/affordable car with a platform that best suits what youre looking to do and modify the shit out of it

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Find someone nearby with stage 2 or k04 to ride along/drive their car. Come back here shortly after to report you got your car tuned. End of thread.

C1iffyp

Passed Driver's Ed
I think the GTI lacks the exoticness of a car like an EVO 9 MR. You just don't see them around that often and that is why the GTI can get dull sometimes. At least in my neck of the woods, they are EVERYWHERE. I mean, VW hasn't stopped production on them since they came out whereas EVOs have come and gone.

I had the exact same feelings as you when I owned a Neon SRT4. Can laugh all you want but they are fast as ballz stock and very easy to mod for even bigger power. I was in love with that car. It got so much attention everywhere I went (including the negative :D ).

The GTI was my feeling of maturing up and wanting something a bit more tame and practical, but still could be fun. I honestly didn't expect it to be as slow as it was stock, but a Stg1 tune can get it feeling a little bit more fun. Of course it doesn't end there because then you just want more and more, and here I am with a K04 on the way. I'm hoping to capture some of the insanity the SRT4 provided me with the K04, but I feel you. I was tempted multiple times to trade the GTI because I just was a little bored of it and with the issues that arose for such low mileage, I didn't have much faith in it. Here's hoping I can still get a lot more years out of it with the K04 mod. I got 1 year left to pay it off. :thumbup:

Even more reinforcement on this topic. Not to beat a dead horse here.

I too can relate. From having a 04' Wrx that was heavily modded to this 12' GTI. I'll admit is a step down in the "Fun" department. Getting looks and hoots about the car always made my day.

Now. People on the road don't look twice at me for a little adrenaline on the way to work. It's a little saddening, yes. However, I think this car has the potential to make good power and if attention is what you're looking for just throw an obnoxious Cat-Back on and I'm fairly certain you'll get the looks again. Lol. Because it matters, right?

Not to mention the lack of payments, that alone would be enough to keep me from a new car. If you GTI is truly "Bone stock" you have yet to experience what this platform can do.

I've only had mine for a few months now and with the small cost in upgrades I've put into it, I can already tell its an amazing machine with loads of potential.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I think the GTI lacks the exoticness of a car like an EVO 9 MR. You just don't see them around that often and that is why the GTI can get dull sometimes. At least in my neck of the woods, they are EVERYWHERE. I mean, VW hasn't stopped production on them since they came out whereas EVOs have come and gone.

I had the exact same feelings as you when I owned a Neon SRT4. Can laugh all you want but they are fast as ballz stock and very easy to mod for even bigger power. I was in love with that car. It got so much attention everywhere I went (including the negative :D ).

The GTI was my feeling of maturing up and wanting something a bit more tame and practical, but still could be fun. I honestly didn't expect it to be as slow as it was stock, but a Stg1 tune can get it feeling a little bit more fun. Of course it doesn't end there because then you just want more and more, and here I am with a K04 on the way. I'm hoping to capture some of the insanity the SRT4 provided me with the K04, but I feel you. I was tempted multiple times to trade the GTI because I just was a little bored of it and with the issues that arose for such low mileage, I didn't have much faith in it. Here's hoping I can still get a lot more years out of it with the K04 mod. I got 1 year left to pay it off. :thumbup:

I really appreciate you taking the time and telling your story. Yes, I know the SRT-4 very well, have tracked with them when I had my 9 MR. I used to always joke with the SRT-4 guys by saying, "Yeah you can keep up in the straight I hear ya, but soon as the road bends the Evo is KING" They always agreed no agruements. I had much respect for the SRT cars. So under rated and these guys ran BIG HP gains over stock and they were at the track with me and we just enjoyed the "cars". It was the STI's the Evo's the SRT's heck Corvettes and it was like a "click". At the track we would always see the German Car guys on the other side of the pits and they had their BMW's, Mercs, Audi's and VW's. We always called them the snobs. They never spoke to us, they never came over for a beer, they never helped when cars broke on track, it was weird. When I had to sell my 9, honestly broke my heart. Had her for about 5 yrs, I never wanted her to be a HP Queen or anything, just enough to keep my heart rate up. Last Tune I had on 91 pump was 340whp and on WMI 70/30 mix just under 400whp and was daily driven and tracked and in the years I had that car NOT ONE PROBLEM.

I too, was looking for something more mature I guess when I sold the 9. I got tired of the cops pulling me over all the time with the same story "We saw a car that matched this cars description" some of the cops were cool, some were big hairy cocks. I would have people tail gate me all the time wanting me to push it, just allot of negative attention I didn't want. I only had 3 cars on my list when I went looking for another car. Ford Focus ST, Subaru WRX, and the GTI. After driving all three, I was sold on the GTI. BUT I never had plans to mod. If I did? I would have gone WRX. I just wanted something with a snail attached to the motor for instant torque, decent mileage, and something I can put stuff in, including my 2 kids. Now here I am 4 and half years later, GTI is paid off, credit is better, divorce is over, kids are older, and I am getting that itch. I look at the issues I have had with the GTI thus far, nothing too crazy but my car is on its 4 water pump since it left the factory in Germany. The water pumps didn't fail, but the seal did. The 4th one finally got the revision. I had my well guess you would call it Valve Cover would leak, so they re sealed it with that florescent green silicone stuff has not leaked since. I had my Cam angle sensor leak, they replaced that. Thats about it. Pretty petty for the VW world.

So for shizzles and gizzles I see the RS sitting at Ford as my girl and I pull through a drive through for food. The ford dealer is right next to it. I was like F ME!! So I go over and take a look. First thing the sales guy tells me is "this car has been here a while we need to sell it, I will take $2000 off the price right now if your interested" CRAP!!! Never have I heard a dealer give 2G's off the retail price of an RS. So I got his card and said I will think on it.

So I have been thinking on it, and its about about a week or 2 now, sales guy still calls me, the RS is still there, so I think I can get them down more. BUT like you all said, your GTI is paid for and that RS even with a lower price is STILL with tax going to be $40-42k out the door. With my GTI as a down I am still looking at $450-$500 a month for 5-6 yrs. OUCH.

I was looking at tunes for the GTI, I like Unictronic. I also was reading about the new COBB Access Port V3? Not sure if that is any good but like the idea of it. Unitronic too, I like how I can upload tunes of my own, put the OEM file back in, switch stuff the COBB unit just makes it even easier. I am thinking, Intercooler, Downpipe, Charge pipes, I still get a kick out that, "Charge Pipe" Intercooler Pipes is what I know them as. Diverter Valve relocation kit maybe, K04??? LSD for the DSG, will the DSG hold up? Will the TSI hold up??? who knows total crap shoot with these cars I think.

So yeah, long winded I know, but here I am. I havent done anything yet. I find it best when not sure, to just do nothing. In the mean time I read your stories and advice from all of you, and it does help me. So Thank You all for your time. You are all Awesome:thumbup:

Jeff

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I can't believe you've kept your GTI stock for so long - just a simple stage I flash will change your attitude towards the heavy little GTI that feels like it doesn't want to get out of its own way.

Flash $600-800 depending on tuner, no supporting mods needed. Keeps no car payment and increased smiles per gallon immensely. Car remains quiet and composed but moves out when you want it to. Add intake for added bonus but not needed IMO. Then when you get bored of it again in a couple years go stage II or K04

Yeah, I left a long winded kinda explanation to why I have not modded the GTI as of yet, but totally dig your positive vibe, Thanks:w00t:

If you guys can tell me how to post photos on here I can put up some pics to see what you guys think of my GTI. I used to use photo bucket but now they want you to pay to do 3rd party posts, so whats the new way to do it? is there a free way? haha.

Jeff

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
If you're serious about tracking it, there was a lot of discussion early on about how the Focus RS was a very compromised platform from the factory for heavy track use. Terry Fair at Vorshlag did a thorough writeup on it. Definitely worth reading and considering before you trade in your car for it:

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58381#post58381

Also the GTI isn't my normal track car, but I've brought it out a few times and while it's not amazing stock, there's definitely some potential there... if you can live with FWD. If not, don't waste your time modding it. Find something more fun to begin with.

I havent read the article yet that you linked but I will. Thank you for the link. What I do know thus far from guys I know at the track is the RS does or can overheat the Rear Diff. They have seen that happen a few times. Also, the RS factory brake pads suck. That is with all cars, I will admit the the Evo 9 at least the MR came with some sick street pads from the factory. I tracked on them for days without fade yet they only lasted a month, but still haha.

I would never track the GTI like I did my Evo of yesteryear, FWD tracking takes a whole different style of driving. I can re learn of course, but I am not used to heavy trail braking which is a MUST for FWD cars on a curvy track. AWD isnt always best either, but it can get you out of corners under full throttle which is what I am used to, well track driving wise.

So I would not build a monster GTI track build. Just a very fun street car, canyon carver car I think suits the GTI better. For my liking and usage anyway. It will see a track, just not like I did in the past. You guys see the fee's at the tracks now? GGEEEZZEE prices have doubled since I last went. Crazy.

Jeff

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Even more reinforcement on this topic. Not to beat a dead horse here.

I too can relate. From having a 04' Wrx that was heavily modded to this 12' GTI. I'll admit is a step down in the "Fun" department. Getting looks and hoots about the car always made my day.

Now. People on the road don't look twice at me for a little adrenaline on the way to work. It's a little saddening, yes. However, I think this car has the potential to make good power and if attention is what you're looking for just throw an obnoxious Cat-Back on and I'm fairly certain you'll get the looks again. Lol. Because it matters, right?

Not to mention the lack of payments, that alone would be enough to keep me from a new car. If you GTI is truly "Bone stock" you have yet to experience what this platform can do.

I've only had mine for a few months now and with the small cost in upgrades I've put into it, I can already tell its an amazing machine with loads of potential.

Thank You for your insight....much appreciated:thumbsup:

Jeff

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

I can honestly say I would have gotten rid of my gti 3 years ago if I didn't k04 it. I am still in love with the car these days. LSD, good suspension, poly bushings, and motor mounts make this car a blast to drive.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I can honestly say I would have gotten rid of my gti 3 years ago if I didn't k04 it. I am still in love with the car these days. LSD, good suspension, poly bushings, and motor mounts make this car a blast to drive.

I believe you. You have done these things to your car, and fortunately you were able to do much of the work yourself. I used to do the same thing with my cars of past, but due to a back injury from several years ago, I just cant turn wrenches on cars like I used to. So in my case I would have to pay for installation of many of the things that would make this car better. I am guesstimating that with a K04, LSD and supporting mods installed we are looking at 10g's. Granted I dont have to do it all at once, but I look at my car in the garage and think, 10g's to make this car into something I would like it to be, or sell, take the money and 10g's as a down on something that already is.

That is the question. I realize no one can answer it, and in a way its my fault. I never realized how spoiled I was driving an Evo of some sorts for over ten years. It was just what I drove, it was the norm. You get into something else, even something as good as the GTI and I feel like I took a few steps back.

My tracking days are not going to be as hard core as before either. Back issues cant handle it. I just would like to do it occasionally if I can and have something turn key that I can drive whenever, wherever including the track. Makes total financial sense to keep the GTI and work on it. Dont know.

here is a pic of my 9 for fun.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cbOcHVIPkbNXCX5ShkarrgZds0QXs589Sw

older pic of my GTI prior OEM LED Tails.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1y4dhGTxOfCIgQRW9l6tRUDbLEFxu7LOhYQ

Thanks for all your insight guys...Im just sitting tight and will figure somethign out..

Jeff

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
I havent read the article yet that you linked but I will. Thank you for the link. What I do know thus far from guys I know at the track is the RS does or can overheat the Rear Diff. They have seen that happen a few times. Also, the RS factory brake pads suck. That is with all cars, I will admit the the Evo 9 at least the MR came with some sick street pads from the factory. I tracked on them for days without fade yet they only lasted a month, but still haha.

Yeah definitely read the article before you buy. The issues with the car aren't just the usual street pads fading on the track, but more fundamental things. Actually here's a pretty good summary:

Mostly I was disappointed in the factory suspension design, the understeer heavy handling, tires that were too small for the weight and power, the computer controlled "RDU" rear axle that didn't do what it was supposed to do, the high oil temps, and the somewhat lackluster lap times. The track performance we saw first hand just didn't seem to live up to hype and real world costs for these cars ($45K is a common price I see for a lot of RS cars), in my view. It had more issues than most, but I doubt it has anything we cannot "fix".

He goes on to recommend a bunch of other cars better suited for track use. Might be some cars in there you hadn't considered yet.

I would never track the GTI like I did my Evo of yesteryear, FWD tracking takes a whole different style of driving. I can re learn of course, but I am not used to heavy trail braking which is a MUST for FWD cars on a curvy track. AWD isnt always best either, but it can get you out of corners under full throttle which is what I am used to, well track driving wise.

You'd be surprised how quickly you can pick up FWD. I mostly drive RWD cars at the track, but the couple times I tracked my GTI it was pretty intuitive to be honest. If you're already used to some trail-braking entering corners, it's just a matter of adding more of it to get the car to rotate. After that, it's mostly limiting power understeer exiting corners and then managing heat in the front tires and brakes. FWD isn't my cup of tea either, but the car is decently quick for what it is. In the advanced group I had a good time mixing it up with some of the slower cars (track prepped NA/NB Miatas, etc.)

You guys see the fee's at the tracks now? GGEEEZZEE prices have doubled since I last went. Crazy.

Haha no kidding. If I add up the amount I've spent on track days the past few years I'd probably cry. :cry: I've got enough experience now where I could do an instructor school and get free track days by taking on students, but my wife isn't crazy about the idea of getting in the car with novices.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Haha no kidding. If I add up the amount I've spent on track days the past few years I'd probably cry. :cry: I've got enough experience now where I could do an instructor school and get free track days by taking on students, but my wife isn't crazy about the idea of getting in the car with novices.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
same. I do about 10-15 track days a year. It adds up so fast. I took on some students for the first time this season, not really a big fan honestly. It makes for a super long day if you are getting out of your session, then hopping right into a students car.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah definitely read the article before you buy. The issues with the car aren't just the usual street pads fading on the track, but more fundamental things. Actually here's a pretty good summary:

He goes on to recommend a bunch of other cars better suited for track use. Might be some cars in there you hadn't considered yet.

You'd be surprised how quickly you can pick up FWD. I mostly drive RWD cars at the track, but the couple times I tracked my GTI it was pretty intuitive to be honest. If you're already used to some trail-braking entering corners, it's just a matter of adding more of it to get the car to rotate. After that, it's mostly limiting power understeer exiting corners and then managing heat in the front tires and brakes. FWD isn't my cup of tea either, but the car is decently quick for what it is. In the advanced group I had a good time mixing it up with some of the slower cars (track prepped NA/NB Miatas, etc.)

Thank You for your input and I will read the article. I do appreciate your time in my personal dilemma.

Friends of mine from the Evo world have told me they have seen their fair share of RS issues at the tracks. It actually puzzles me to be honest because Ford specifically designed the RS to handle 30 min of track use at a time. Maybe they just didn't give it much room for error. We know people all drive differently and to vouch for 30 minutes of track use for all driving styles may have been a reach to say the least.

Jeff