GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Off-Topic Discussions > OFF-TOPIC Lounge!

Old 09-29-2017, 05:22 PM   #1
Rickybobbi
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2011 golf 2.5 MT / 2013 MB GLK-250
2015 WRX

Just was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this vehicle. Looking into getting a new car in a couple months and cant decide. I'm leaning towards a 2015 Subaru WRX. 2.0L, 6 speed man, 264HP AWD not to shabby, but never owned a Subaru before.
2011 GOLF 2.5// LED TAILS // 18" BLACK RIMS // 2 12" KICKER SUBS // REAR EMBLEM BLACKED OUT // FRONT EMBLEM BLACKED OUT // DE-BADGE REAR // LED INTERIOR // HID HEADLIGHTS // 8" ANDROID HEAD UNIT // 35% TINT ALL AROUND // FK STREETLINES //
Rickybobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:46 PM   #2
BlueE30
Autocross Champion

Drives: 10' TR GTI 6M and an E30 325 Turbo
Always want to go towards a Subaru but don't know if I'll ever own one. Just notoriously unreliable and notoriously have engine issues (speaking mainly for the STI).

The WRX's I like more than STI's just due to every STI engine blowing up, WRX's seem more reliable and not too much less performance. I like hatch's to much so if they came out with a WRX hatch again that was comparable to a GTI I would probably consider it as the AWD is a big plus for me.
2010 TR GTI APR Stage 1 Fully Loaded, APR Carbonio, R8 coils, Rotiform 19's, Koni Coilovers, CTS subframe reinforcement kit, CTS Billet Torque Arm Insert, CTS rear subframe bushing kit, LED Golf R Tail Lights, Xenon Headlights, VCDS changes (DRL's, windows, gauge sweep, etc) and timing chain tensioner updated!
1987 BMW E30 325 Turbo - Too extensive to list.
BlueE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:50 PM   #3
gdub09
Autocross Newbie

Drives: GTI DSG
Buddy of mine has a 16' and loves it. Stock and a ton a fun as its his first "performance" car. As for unreliable and engine issues that's not true. I could see "engine issues" with younger kids getting them and not knowing what they're doing but other than that they're completely reliable. My buddy had a 07 WRX and beat the hell out of it and the worst thing was he had to replace the rear end which Subaru covered. And I mean he ABUSED that thing, it held up for quite a while before that rear end gave out. I mean they're rally cars turned into road cars.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:15 AM   #4
brobst
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: CSG mk6 6MT
My friend put an intake on his and it was struggling. Their ecu technology is nothing like vw. They look cool but its no vw interior.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Superior interior is like 500hp at the wheels doe
brobst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:35 AM   #5
Rickybobbi
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2011 golf 2.5 MT / 2013 MB GLK-250
I kinda like the interior...has double screen with a boost gauge.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
2011 GOLF 2.5// LED TAILS // 18" BLACK RIMS // 2 12" KICKER SUBS // REAR EMBLEM BLACKED OUT // FRONT EMBLEM BLACKED OUT // DE-BADGE REAR // LED INTERIOR // HID HEADLIGHTS // 8" ANDROID HEAD UNIT // 35% TINT ALL AROUND // FK STREETLINES //
Rickybobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:35 PM   #6
gijoewoz
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2005 Impreza RS
The interior quality isn't up to par with the GTI. I went from a Subaru to Volkswagen and I really do miss a lot of things about the Subaru, but the interior is not one of those things. I'm not sure where BlueE30 is getting his info, but Subaru's are bulletproof, if reliability is a concern the Subaru will be much more reliable than a GTI, and when it does break will be much less expensive to repair. I love the way the GTI handles, but Subaru's all wheel drive feels even better. Exiting corners quickly in the GTI leads to wheel spin, in a Subaru you can pull much harder out of a corner (at least the perception is that you can exit a corner faster, and isn't perception more important to fun than the actual clock?).

I have no doubt whatsoever that you would love a WRX.
gijoewoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:23 PM   #7
CHerna
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2012 DBP GTI 2 Door M/T
I have a few friends that have the WRX. They preach the FA20 is way better than the crap EJ in the STI.
CHerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:16 AM   #8
BlueE30
Autocross Champion

Drives: 10' TR GTI 6M and an E30 325 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoewoz View Post
The interior quality isn't up to par with the GTI. I went from a Subaru to Volkswagen and I really do miss a lot of things about the Subaru, but the interior is not one of those things. I'm not sure where BlueE30 is getting his info, but Subaru's are bulletproof, if reliability is a concern the Subaru will be much more reliable than a GTI, and when it does break will be much less expensive to repair. I love the way the GTI handles, but Subaru's all wheel drive feels even better. Exiting corners quickly in the GTI leads to wheel spin, in a Subaru you can pull much harder out of a corner (at least the perception is that you can exit a corner faster, and isn't perception more important to fun than the actual clock?).

I have no doubt whatsoever that you would love a WRX.
Sorry.... Subaru's are not bulletproof especially the STI EJ engine. Maybe you haven't browsed the Subbie forums for how many STI owners blow them up... That being said, I'm sure the newer ones are better than the older ones and even the older ones are probably still more reliable than a GTI overall.
2010 TR GTI APR Stage 1 Fully Loaded, APR Carbonio, R8 coils, Rotiform 19's, Koni Coilovers, CTS subframe reinforcement kit, CTS Billet Torque Arm Insert, CTS rear subframe bushing kit, LED Golf R Tail Lights, Xenon Headlights, VCDS changes (DRL's, windows, gauge sweep, etc) and timing chain tensioner updated!
1987 BMW E30 325 Turbo - Too extensive to list.
BlueE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:37 AM   #9
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
I drove one before getting the mk7 i used to have. Definitely liked it. Its nice in and out. Good ride quality, didnt feel all too quick though. My buddy who is a subaru guy and subaru mechanic advised me to stay away from it amd get an older wrx hatch.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:20 AM   #10
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
every Subaru i have ever seen has gotten ringlands failures at some point or another.
STI check.
WRX Check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:14 PM   #11
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
Wouldn't recommend it.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #12
gijoewoz
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2005 Impreza RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueE30 View Post
Sorry.... Subaru's are not bulletproof especially the STI EJ engine. Maybe you haven't browsed the Subbie forums for how many STI owners blow them up... That being said, I'm sure the newer ones are better than the older ones and even the older ones are probably still more reliable than a GTI overall.
He wasn't asking about the STI EJ, was he? Also, the engine is just one part of the equation. From an ownership perspective the Subaru will be broken far less, and is much easier and cheaper to repair.
gijoewoz is offline   Reply With Quote