GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

so, if you had to do it all again, would you?

BlueE30

Ready to race!
I would too but like the guy above, would probably go DSG if I were to do it again. Have supporting mods and a downpipe for stage 2 but my clutch is fine on stage 1 and not interested in spending $1500-$2000 (CDN) on a clutch. Might go for an MK7 in the near future, 4dr, DSG... just moved houses and the GTI was amazing with the seats down, so much room to pack it full which made me fall in love with it again.

Fast505

From a monetary standpoint, no. Bought my GTI used in 2013 for $19K. Had under 20K miles. At the time I didn't think I would mod at all but that lasted a month maybe. Then, it went downhill from there like many of us and now it's a money pit. Do I enjoy driving it? Yup, except for the shitty NGP coilovers that are too harsh even at reasonable ride height. From a "fun project" standpoint, it has been equally rewarding and frustrating. All in all, a good experience thus far but I gotta say that new Mustang GT put a spell on me.

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
No doubt. This is the best car I've ever owned. I'm at 155K miles and it runs and drives great. I've been APR Stage 1 since it had 20K miles. Other than brakes, tires, filters and a carbon clean, I've only had to replace the intake manifold (under warranty), turbo at 142K miles, the timing chain tensioner (preventative) and the radiator. I still am on the original water pump, although now that I have said that, I probably have a puddle of coolant under the car right now!! I consistently get 30 mpg and with the help of Adams Polishes and Chemical Guys products, it still looks great.

Desertnate

Passed Driver's Ed
I absolutely would do it again. I bought out my lease, so that should be a good sign of how much I like the car. I wanted to own a GTI for over 25 years, so I'm living out a long time wish.

At this time my only regret is I waited so long to get a lighter set of wheels and summer tires. That one mod alone made a big difference, and renewed my enthusiasm for driving my GTI.

I really miss driving a RWD performance car, and will again someday, but for now the GTI is the perfect match for where I'm at in life.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
My only regret was not waiting for an R or a GTI with sunroof option. I got everything else when i bought it used but every summer I curse not having one. That.... and I really wish I went ko4 before i got engaged. Got married. Baby on the way. Wife looking for bigger house... wants me to get slushbox and 4 doors but it aint gonna happen lo

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
My only regret was not waiting for an R or a GTI with sunroof option. I got everything else when i bought it used but every summer I curse not having one. That.... and I really wish I went ko4 before i got engaged. Got married. Baby on the way. Wife looking for bigger house... wants me to get slushbox and 4 doors but it aint gonna happen lo

there's your problem mate....i see a Minivan coming your way in your forseeable future....lololol

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
there's your problem mate....i see a Minivan coming your way in your forseeable future....lololol

Unless VeeDub makes a mini van the size of a 3dr GTI......not gonna happen :D

evo v

I did it (well almost). I have 2009 Audi A3 fwd with DSG. It is with 232 000 miles now. I bought salvaged 2012 manual 2dr GTI with a plan to rebuild it and give it to my 16yr old daughter. She is not big fan of the manual so she is taking over the A3 and I'm going back to the VW club.

lukesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Ive owned a 200sx, sentra, a4 and matrix.
My Gti has been the best daily / sports car :D for the past 3 years..

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
Nope.

Was between the GTI and a WRX and would buy a WRX instead if I could go back. Would ideally like an evo 8 or 9 but they weren't/aren't in my price range.

I've increasingly fallen out of love with the GTI in the past couple years. But, I'm deep enough in that its staying until it dies.

Not that I'm trying to turn this into a ripping on the car fest. It's fairly fun and pretty cool and has style. But its been very unreliable and at 60,000 miles mine feels like a loose POS rattle box. Which for the car that's supposed to have superior German build quality, comfort and interior as compared to its JDM competitors is pretty disappointing.

Last edited:

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Nope.

Was between the GTI and a WRX and would buy a WRX instead if I could go back. Would ideally like an evo 8 or 9 but they weren't/aren't in my price range.

I've increasingly fallen out of love with the GTI in the past couple years. But, I'm deep enough in that its staying until it dies.

Not that I'm trying to turn this into a ripping on the car fest. It's fairly fun and pretty cool and has style. But its been very unreliable and at 60,000 miles mine feels like a loose POS rattle box. Which for the car that's supposed to have superior German build quality, comfort and interior as compared to its JDM competitors is pretty disappointing.
Is that just your car, or where you feel the platform has come short

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk