GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Getting tcu tune

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
So my normal shop is about an hour drive down the turnpike to Coral Springs. They’ve done all the work on my car this far. Apr stage 2, downpipe, neuspeed catback, intake, dogbone insert.

Question is, now there is an apr dealer 10 minutes from my house. Should I continue going to the place that knows my car and has done all other work or just go down the street for the tcu tune? I can’t imagine that there’s much to doing this tune. Or are there specific files for cars with certain mods?

My normal shop is USP motorsports in Coral Springs.
The new one is Serious autosport in West Palm.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
I drive across the state to a shop I trust. I'd say the hour drive is worth it. Mine is a 3 hour trek every time I've had work done like exhaust, tune, etc.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Its just a flash for a tcu tune. Not much you can do mess that up. Personally if they are a approved APR dealer i'd just go to whoever is closer.

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
Lol, here’s my dilemma. I too figured that it was just a tcu flash and anyone could do it, but then I thought that usp has done everything else. And I think they have to put in exactly what ecu file I’ve got and the user defined shift patterns, launch control values, and some other things like max rpm, automatic up shift in M mode.

Ahh, Usp also can’t do it until after the 1st where at serious I could get it done this week.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I would go to the shop that's closer. You might find out they are just as good. If not you can continue driving an hour away.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

webbry4

Ready to race!
I would go to the shop that's closer. You might find out they are just as good. If not you can continue driving an hour away.

This [emoji119] it's just a tcu tune apr software should recognize which software your ecu is on. It's best to find out how you like the shop on something damn near impossible to fuck up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
man this guy is gonna be pissed if the new shop somehow bricks his TCU doing the flash.

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
I’m taking the 45 minute drive in the morning to go to the shop that I trust. Lol... just feels better going to the place that has done all the work on my car. Looking forward to the DSG finally behaving properly. It definitely shifts way to low on the stock tcu software... 40mph and in already in 5th or 6th

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I’m taking the 45 minute drive in the morning to go to the shop that I trust. Lol... just feels better going to the place that has done all the work on my car. Looking forward to the DSG finally behaving properly. It definitely shifts way to low on the stock tcu software... 40mph and in already in 5th or 6th
thats economy driving... if you wanted it to hold the gears you could drive in sport mode.. but when in drive you should expect it to be as high a gear as it possibly can... thats the whole purpose of Drive.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
thats economy driving... if you wanted it to hold the gears you could drive in sport mode.. but when in drive you should expect it to be as high a gear as it possibly can... thats the whole purpose of Drive.
Do note that even in sport mode it will upshift even if u let up off the gas meaning it has an econ mode although not as aggressive as drive mode. Just throw it over to manual if u want full control.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Do note that even in sport mode it will upshift even if u let up off the gas meaning it has an econ mode although not as aggressive as drive mode. Just throw it over to manual if u want full control.

this too. I drive around in manual mode all the time... and slap it into D when im lazy

Jaber

Modero
this too. I drive around in manual mode all the time... and slap it into D when im lazy

This. Although after getting Unitronic's TCU Stage 1 tune, it's no longer a drag to drive around in D. So nowadays I'm driving in D mode more often.

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
I used to drive in manual almost all the time too, but the apr tcu tune also increases the clutch clamping force which is good with being stage 2.
And damn the car drives so much better now than it did with the stock tcu software. D no longer lugs when you give it gas, sport mode is actually useful now and the manual shifting is even faster than before. Sport mode actually works like you would expect it to without holding gears up until 6-7k rpm, and yes I know if you let off the gas it will upshift, still the apr tcu tune handles sport mode so much better.

One thing I’ve noticed which may change as the tcu re learns my driving habits is, the shifts are so quick now i don’t always get the dsg farts.

Definitely glad I got this.

Jaber

Modero
I used to drive in manual almost all the time too, but the apr tcu tune also increases the clutch clamping force which is good with being stage 2.
And damn the car drives so much better now than it did with the stock tcu software. D no longer lugs when you give it gas, sport mode is actually useful now and the manual shifting is even faster than before. Sport mode actually works like you would expect it to without holding gears up until 6-7k rpm, and yes I know if you let off the gas it will upshift, still the apr tcu tune handles sport mode so much better.

One thing I’ve noticed which may change as the tcu re learns my driving habits is, the shifts are so quick now i don’t always get the dsg farts.

Definitely glad I got this.

Not sure about that one, see http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2280065&postcount=40