GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Excessive oil blow by when using R-comps?

UFfitz56

Ready to race!
I thought I would revive this important thread for those who are interested in tracking with r compounds but are worried about oil surge/engine failure. After two hard track weekends at Gingerman and Autobahn in NASA TT, I have had no issues on Nitto NT-01s. The suspension is stock except for hotchkis sways, front and rear, set at medium.

I am considering a step up in r compunds to hoosier r6 and adding coilovers. However, this topic of oil surge in high g left hand turns has me concerned. Do we know how many people have had engine failure from this and, if so, what were the circumstances? If you read about the 08+ STI's, they have tons of treads on ringland / engine failures. Other popularly tracked cars often have their own reports of engine failures. Perhaps, in the grand scheme, our engines are quite reliable on track compared to others? I don't know but I would certainly like to know more before investing in money on coilovers, sport spindles, and 1K hoosiers. So, for those who have gone to r compounds lately, please post your experience. In addition, please post details on your suspension set up and the specific r compunds used.

Haha yup, My 08 STI popped a ringland when I was at sebring...fun stuff.

As a side note what TT class do you run? Seems like a stage 2 gti with max points could be pretty competitive in TTC?

jmk0071

Passed Driver's Ed
Haha yup, My 08 STI popped a ringland when I was at sebring...fun stuff.

As a side note what TT class do you run? Seems like a stage 2 gti with max points could be pretty competitive in TTC?

I would really consider trading my GTI for an STI or WRX if not for the ringland failure problem. Have they ever come up with a fix for this? Last I heard, a high quality custom tune and different oil may or may not help prevent the problem.

I run in TTE with max points. Although I am classified in TTE, I get hit wth an automatic 5 pts for being turbo and 6 pts for DSG, leaving me 8 points. Thus, I spent my points on front and rear sways (2 pts) and Nitto NT-01s 225/45/17 (6 pts). I won at Gingerman earlier this, beating the track record by 2 seconds. However, I had my ass handed to me at Autobahn last month by a field of Miata's running race suspensions on Hoosier R6's. It certainly was humbling.

As for the GTI in TTC, I think you would have to spend a ton of cash on the best parts to be competitive. This would have to include a real mechanical LSD, K04 turbo, ASTs coils or better, sport spindles, aero mods...etc. Even then, you have a very high powered fwd and would, therefore, likely continue to have trouble putting down the power particularly on corner exit. That said, it would certainly be interesting. A fully prepped TTC GTI would probably have the highest torque of any TTC car ever. I do think a GTI might be more competitive in TTD; at least you would avoid those S2000's in TTC which are ridiculously fast, as well as the E36 M3.

Are you in NASA TT or have you ever been?

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
PRNDS,

For what it is worth, my Forge CC was filling up with oil during any extended high spirited runs. Everytime at the drag strip it was full. Even spirited daily driving. I may have some compression issues with my pistons, but after removing the CC, my oil consumption is much less and no oil is pooling in my TOP. It wasn't before but I figured it was worth mentioning.