GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boost issues on Golf R --- Potential n75 issue?

Eddy403

Hi guys,

Quick background info on the issue:
Had the ECU flashed with REVO stage 1, running 91oct fuel (Shell) with an APR CAI.
I didn't really feel the huge kick in the butt after switching to REVO from stock, but the tuner assured me the map was properly applied. Decided to install a boost gauge to monitor boost pressure and noticed a spike to ~19PSI and holds ~17 to redline.

I've done some 2nd and 3rd gear pulls today, attached block 118, 115, 11 (which i dont quite understand but attached anyways). Block 118, shows the N75 working at 99%, later dropping to 89% at 2,200RPM, to 40% at 4,000RPM, and back to 48% at ~5,800.

The requested/actual boost levels are close and around 2100mbar, and if converted to PSI about 16-17PSI, so the boost gauge is showing true numbers. Stage 1 boost numbers should be spiking ~22 and holding ~19

No CEL, and the fuel economy is average compared to other Golf R on fuelly.com , so the O2 sensor should be alright (haven't confirmed A/F with VCDS).

Doing a search for boost leak/ n75 failure etc returned a bunch of results, but I wanted to have somebody check out "my" logs in hopes of possibly correlating the numbers to the issue I'm having.

A video of 2nd and 3rd gear pull, vs the boost gauge
http://youtu.be/OEsvmiP_xkA

Thanks!

Attachments

• LOG-01-118-005-115 N75 3rd gear WOT.zip
    16.1 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
you didnt include n75 vs requestest vs actual boost that i can see... i don't think you have a leak my friend.

Eddy403

you didnt include n75 vs requestest vs actual boost that i can see... i don't think you have a leak my friend.

the requested vs actual vs n75 are in the second file, columns Q and R, the N75 cycle is column E.

Looks stock to me.

It feels stock. Going to pass these logs to the tuner who has a ticket opened with REVO to take a look at the logs. Had my mk4 1.8t and a mk6 GTI running the APR tune and never had issues with boost...so the APR tune trial is sounding really appealing right now.

Last night I double checked for leaks, ran the MAF test - all seems within specs.

Eddy403

UPDATE: Went over to an APR dealer and flashed with the APR 91 map - and what a difference! Now I'm spiking 26psi, holding 22psi - the car feels like a monster!

So tune was the issue here. Not saying that all REVO Golf R tunes are terrible, but the tune I was flashed with didn't feel any different than stock.

Another happy APR customer.

Cheers!

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
UPDATE: Went over to an APR dealer and flashed with the APR 91 map - and what a difference! Now I'm spiking 26psi, holding 22psi - the car feels like a monster!

So tune was the issue here. Not saying that all REVO Golf R tunes are terrible, but the tune I was flashed with didn't feel any different than stock.

Another happy APR customer.

Cheers!

I'm 99% sure you never got the flash, it looked as though it was in stock mode. The data logs look identical to the stock ECU tune.

Eddy403

I'm 99% sure you never got the flash, it looked as though it was in stock mode. The data logs look identical to the stock ECU tune.

I thought the same, however the top speed limiter was indeed removed and I was able to rev past the stock fuel cutoff @ 6,800 RPM. So it seems as some features of the tune got applied. My only assumption is since the ECU in the Golf R is the same as in the MKV GTI....maybe...maaaaaybe the flash was for a MKV ECU? Also, tech plugged into my OBDII and double checked and made sure I was on the REVO tune as he was able to adjust the boost value from default 6 to 7.

I'll shoot another video tonight, the difference in butt dyno feels huge as expected from a k04. :D

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
My guess would be that the flash had taken but the settings were still all stock for boost, timing and fuelling.