GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 05-02-2014, 11:46 PM   #57
youloze
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2010 gti
My biggest complaint with the A/C system is that you have to hit the A/C button every time you start the car rather than it coming on automatically when the temp is set on cold or just have it remember the last setting before turning the car off.

It never fails when I get in my car and turn the air on it takes about 30 seconds with the air blowing warm before I notice that the A/C button isn't on. Stupid A/C button...
youloze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:02 AM   #58
trev1342
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: '14 GTI Driver's Edition DSG
Actually, I have yet to fully test the AC on a genuinely hot day. Soon enough, I will be able to. I used it during a humid 78+ degree day, it still remained ice cold.
DeAuto Full LED Kit w. Red Footwells - Aluminum Glove Box Handle - OEM Auto Euro Light Switch - VAG-COM - Clear Side Markers - Amber LED Side Marker Bulbs - APR Carbonio Intake - APR Stage 1 Tuned - OEM R8 Coil Packs - OEM Porsche Coolant/Oil Caps - Black Wiper Fluid Cap - ECS Carbon Fiber Engine Cover - Bright Halogen Fog Light Bulbs - OEM Golf R Euro LED Tails (R20) - DeAuto Amber Front/Rear LED Turn Signals - DeAuto LED Reverse Lights
trev1342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:11 AM   #59
SnackyJ
Ready to race!

Drives: 2013 GTI 6MT 4D Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by steemax View Post
So I see that we're getting a mixed response here. Some say its amazing while some say it's terrible like I have.

I really don't want to have a laundry list of things to check off an do just to get a TAD bit cooler air. Either there is something wrong with my specific car or others haven't tried a GOOD A/C from a different make/model.

I think the best route for me is to go check a brand new 2014 out and see how it cools and then make a decision whether or not I have a faulty part somewhere. (I wouldn't mind, I bought bumper to bumper warranty to 80k miles or 8 years so I mind as well use it)

Yeah it's been crazy hot here in socal, probably the hottest it will be in a while, but I've been surprised that the A/C in my MK6 has been sufficient. I'd say most A/Cs will struggle in 95-100+ degree heat. It's far from the best (GM), but better than my wife's Prius (beltless) and her old Mini (probably low on refrigerant).

After about 10minutes of driving in the GTI, I turn it from 4 down to 2 and it's comfortable.

If you have an extended warranty just take it in and see what they say. It definitely sounds like something is wrong.
SnackyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:13 AM   #60
rjohnson5481
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 13 GTI WB DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by APRMK6GTi View Post
works pretty well for me, but i came from a car with even worse A/C system(corolla)
This is me all day. From a shitty corolla the GTI works jusssst fine. I should mention I'm in AZ, which is likely hotter than most people. lol
Old 05-03-2014, 01:39 AM   #61
jjohns1508
Oval Champion

Drives: 2014 GTI Drivers edition 6MT
Central Florida here and so far it seems on par with my Focus, which seemed very good.
There is one way to tell for sure. put a temp gauge in the center A/C vent. Compare it to a car that seems "good".
The first thing I do when I get into my 100degree car is open the sunroof for a minute or two. Normally within 5 minutes the car is bearable and the steering wheel quits burning my hands. leather seats are also torture. I got my VW sunshade on order.
jjohns1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #62
alpha3
Touring Car Champion

Drives: '14 CSG GTI
As others here have said, I believe it's a combination of a few things. I live in Miami, and we've already had 88+ days with high humidity. I believe the AC works very well, but you can't have unreasonable expectations either. Having a windscreen, tint, and cracking the side windows on hot days all make a big difference. My GTI is tinted but the windshield screen recently proved to me just what a big difference it makes. I vacuumed the car and forgot I had left the windscreen in the garage. I went to lunch with some friends and came back to the car.....even with the tint, it was so hot without that windscreen I couldn't believe it. The sun bakes the dash big time, and all that heat has to radiate out the windows before it can even begin to cool down.
alpha3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #63
nouse4aname
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2007 Legacy GT Spec B
The ceramic tint including the air blue on the windshield put an end to the burning steering wheel and seats.
nouse4aname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #64
DUBPL8
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: Golf TDI [Gone], EJ6 Civic hatch
Mine has worked surprisingly fine for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubessa View Post
TDI: Thick Dick Injection
DUBPL8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #65
JhnR
Banned

Drives: Lemon mk6 GTI
Mine works fine as well on #2. I however have ceramic tints, it makes a whole world difference
JhnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #66
gti_kev
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: A freaking Prius. #PriusGang
i always have the 2 passenger vents closed and have all the AC for me.

#causeimboss
Old 05-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #67
JhnR
Banned

Drives: Lemon mk6 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by gti_kev View Post
i always have the 2 passenger vents closed and have all the AC for me.

#causeimboss
i do the same shit, my passengers be like your AC doesn't work. FOR YOU HOE
JhnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #68
gti_kev
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: A freaking Prius. #PriusGang
hahaha thats probably why i think i have good AC.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:39 PM   #69
trev1342
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: '14 GTI Driver's Edition DSG
Was warm today, took about 2 minutes, and the air was then ice cold. Worked great.
DeAuto Full LED Kit w. Red Footwells - Aluminum Glove Box Handle - OEM Auto Euro Light Switch - VAG-COM - Clear Side Markers - Amber LED Side Marker Bulbs - APR Carbonio Intake - APR Stage 1 Tuned - OEM R8 Coil Packs - OEM Porsche Coolant/Oil Caps - Black Wiper Fluid Cap - ECS Carbon Fiber Engine Cover - Bright Halogen Fog Light Bulbs - OEM Golf R Euro LED Tails (R20) - DeAuto Amber Front/Rear LED Turn Signals - DeAuto LED Reverse Lights
trev1342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #70
doublevanosrc
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2013 DE
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
The a/c is ok however I use a windshield sunshade to minimize heat in the cabin.
It hit mid 90's yesterday and I'm happy to report that the a/c performed very good. Not as good as my previous BMW or anywhere near my dad's Ford but better than I expected(bought the car in Oct). I think with use of a windshield shade you should be able to manage just fine.