GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lou Maiuri's SPM FMIC, FX350, CTS K04 Review and Impressions Thread

Had some interesting info on the dmfw setup this weekend. Guy at cars & coffee has an S4 with the biturbo v6.....fx400 clutch with the OEM dmfw. Chewed through the dmfw in 30k miles and had to do a whole new smfw and clutch setup. He said the disc was too aggressive for the OEM unit. Just a thought.

Could be that it was his original dual mass flywheel had already been resurfaced to much, because the dual mas flywheel with the FX400 6 puck disk is one of the most chosen setups for the B5 S4 2.7t and nearly all of those people daily driver their cars.

I have been selling CM kits in the Audi community for over 5 years now and I haven't seen anyone having that issue with the CM 6 puck or any of the other clutch kits I have been dealing with for the last 12 years.

But it does bring up a relevant question about longevity. My next question would be, how do we know the dmfw is bad?

butchered by autocorrect

Are you asking about the friction area of the flywheel or the spring that applies tension to the part of the flywheel that rotates?

It will take a long time till the spring gets soft enough, you can go thru a few clutch kits before it becomes an issue.

When the DMFW fails you will start to hear a clunking noise as the tension gets too soft, allowing it to rotate to quickly till it hits the full lock position.

Now I wish I did get a DSG lol

That is till the DSG clutch assembly needs to be rebuilt and then you will have wished you bought a manual.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Are you asking about the friction area of the flywheel or the spring that applies tension to the part of the flywheel that rotates?

It will take a long time till the spring gets soft enough, you can go thru a few clutch kits before it becomes an issue.

When the DMFW fails you will start to hear a clunking noise as the tension gets too soft, allowing it to rotate to quickly till it hits the full lock position.

That'd answer one question, yes. The other would be just as you mentioned: when would we know when the friction face is "bad"? Obviously one failure is slipping, but I can't imagine this happening too quickly with these high friction disks. Maybe if the face is glazed. Are there any other failure modes for the friction surface of a dmfw with aftermarket disk and pressure plate? What might the s4 owner be referring to when he said his dmfw failed?

butchered by autocorrect

That'd answer one question, yes. The other would be just as you mentioned: when would we know when the friction face is "bad"? Obviously one failure is slipping, but I can't imagine this happening too quickly with these high friction disks. Maybe if the face is glazed. Are there any other failure modes for the friction surface of a dmfw with aftermarket disk and pressure plate? What might the s4 owner be referring to when he said his dmfw failed?

butchered by autocorrect

The flywheel and PP would have to be checked when they come out, if the surface has high spots, hot spots or worn really bad then it will have to be resufaced. But it can only be resurfaced so far before it has to be replaced.

The S4 owner was most likely just saying that the flywheel surface was beyond resurfacing.

A_Bowers

Could be that it was his original dual mass flywheel had already been resurfaced to much, because the dual mas flywheel with the FX400 6 puck disk is one of the most chosen setups for the B5 S4 2.7t and nearly all of those people daily driver their cars.

I have been selling CM kits in the Audi community for over 5 years now and I haven't seen anyone having that issue with the CM 6 puck or any of the other clutch kits I have been dealing with for the last 12 years.

Thanks Mike! It really is a huge help to have experience with these setups and builds.

Ill see what else he has to say when we meet next Saturday.

Im glad we have more info being put into the forum on this issue. The lack of info that we have regarding this 6spd trans is crazy sometimes, and its nice to have some input.

Keep it up!

jerome99

Go Kart Champion
Thanks Mike! It really is a huge help to have experience with these setups and builds.

Ill see what else he has to say when we meet next Saturday.

Im glad we have more info being put into the forum on this issue. The lack of info that we have regarding this 6spd trans is crazy sometimes, and its nice to have some input.

Keep it up!

yes thanks Mike I will buy buying my clutch through you guys later this month.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
can we get an update? it has been almost a year and I am curious.

how many miles are on this clutch now? does the clutch pedal feel any heavier? what is engagement like?

Update? :lol: Lou up and left in rage a long time ago. Sold the GTI, bought a bimmer and rubbed it in.

butchered by autocorrecr

caffeineTX

Ready to race!
Yeah he got banned. Very knowledgable, but he was an asshole. Glad he is gone.

i see

I'm just trying to figure out clutch options and noticed in one of the threads he was on an after market option.

I've been looking at the CM 350 that uses the stock DMF and wanted to know if there were any high mile samples of people using that setup.

Only thing keeping me from doing this is even though I have only 11k on my car is I think I would be buying another DMF to minimize downtime on my car instead of sending it off to be refinished but that is an expensive path to take. I don't know.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
i see

I'm just trying to figure out clutch options and noticed in one of the threads he was on an after market option.

I've been looking at the CM 350 that uses the stock DMF and wanted to know if there were any high mile samples of people using that setup.

Only thing keeping me from doing this is even though I have only 11k on my car is I think I would be buying another DMF to minimize downtime on my car instead of sending it off to be refinished but that is an expensive path to take. I don't know.

You definitely don't need a new dmfw. I had 45k on mine with 3 track days and several accidental slips (a couple really bad) and mine is fine. Some discoloration but no burns, no flats. Also, don't refinish the dmfw - it's too complicated to replicate the grooves on the surface. I wouldn't even trust my father-in-law's shop to do it.

butchered by autocorrecr

caffeineTX

Ready to race!
You definitely don't need a new dmfw. I had 45k on mine with 3 track days and several accidental slips (a couple really bad) and mine is fine. Some discoloration but no burns, no flats. Also, don't refinish the dmfw - it's too complicated to replicate the grooves on the surface. I wouldn't even trust my father-in-law's shop to do it.

butchered by autocorrecr

how many miles are on your rsr with your stock dmf?