GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKVI GTI or 2010 Audi A4

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!

Thanks!

But don't remind me, :bonk: j/k

It was a great, great car for me, but it was time.

I rarely keep a car more than a year or two and that one I kept for over three years.

See that car in my sig? yeah, its my first car. yeah, im 28. yeah, i still got it.

toady

Passed Driver's Ed
I own an 08 A4 and the GTI

Hey everyone im planning on looking into both of these cars. I was pretty set on the MKVI but since I am leasing this car I noticed my monthly payments are not going to be that much different. So i wanted to know as far as handling performance and comfort which one you would choose.

Im looking at both of these to be manual, as well as I have plans to chip it with Stage 1 APR program. Which one do you guys think would perform best overall? any opinions appreciated

I've read that the agility has greatly improved on the new A4 versus my 08, in spite of the car being larger in every aspect. While the A4 is more quiet and solid feeling, it lacks the drivability and tossability of the GTI, doesn't communicate the overall driving experience in the same way, and the I-Pod interface and touch screen radio slay the A4's terrible, terrible, terrible glove box mounted I-Pod monstrosity. In the twisties I'd take the GTI any day over the Audi. For a long cruise, the A4 is the preference.

I gave my wife the A4 to drive and got the GTI for me.

waffleman

Ready to race!
I seriously looked at the A4, but when it came down to decision time I got MKVI GTI.
$$ is what drove my decision. I felt I was getting much more for my money with the GTI. I actually like the look of the GTI better as well.

5000 miles later, I have NO regrets what so ever. The GTI is awesome. And the $10K + I saved is a huge bonus too.

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
See that car in my sig? yeah, its my first car. yeah, im 28. yeah, i still got it.

You are a rarity in the car buff world.

But that's cool, you can save a lot of money that way. :w00t:

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
You are a rarity in the car buff world.

But that's cool, you can save a lot of money that way. :w00t:

Ha, trust me its not by choice. I've either been in school or unemployed for the past 10 years so could not afford another car until now... or soon from now :p

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Ha, trust me its not by choice. I've either been in school or unemployed for the past 10 years so could not afford another car until now... or soon from now :p

Ahh, gotcha.

Yeah, I consider myself one of the lucky ones. It only took me about 10 years (once out of grad school) of working hard and long hours to get to a point that I could "play" with some automotive toys like I do.

It was a good "carrot" for me to chase, still is.

alex_vw

I test drove both cars. Had much more fun in the GTI. It was an easy decision since A4 came in at roughly 200$ more in monthly payment.
For that money I could get in 328i with a sport package, much better car overall compared to A4 (that is for me).

Jekyll991

Ready to race!
g

I test drove both cars. Had much more fun in the GTI. It was an easy decision since A4 came in at roughly 200$ more in monthly payment.
For that money I could get in 328i with a sport package, much better car overall compared to A4 (that is for me).

So I assume you picked up the GTI or you're going to?

Sure you could've gotten a 328i for the same as an audi, but then you'd be driving a BMW.....:D

jgs5607

Ready to race!
A co-worker of mine had pretty much a clone of your Avant and it was my first (driving) exposure to the 2.0 Turbo motor.

I was pretty impressed with how it ran and like it even more in a lighter car. Too bad VW doesn't offer the higher torque motor in the GTI. That can always be fixed with a reflash though..........

VWVic

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had an A4 from each of the previous three generations- a B5, and B6, and most recently an '07 B7. All have been the four cylinder turbo quattros with manual transmissions. My current one goes off lease Wednesday. I've already replaced it with a 2010 GTI.

I did seriously consider a 2010 B8 A4 as well. I had a few issues with it, not the least of which was the price. Specced to the level of my current Audi I would have needed to get the Premium Plus package, which doesn't include a few amenities my '07 model has such as adaptive headlights and self dimming mirrors. It would add Bluetooth, though, which my car doesn't have. But even at that the sticker price is about $5000 greater than my '07 car. The lease deals weren't as competitive either, even including owner loyalty money. And I have a great relationship with my dealer and am used to getting good prices with a minimum of negotiation. I guess Audi's just not pushing their leases right now.

Another problem that kept me out of a new A4 is the difficulty in sourcing a manual transmission. Almost all of the A4s on the dealer lots are autos, and I didn't have time to order one. I did get a chance to test a 2.0T Quattro 6-spd manual with the Sport Package and it was much more fun to drive than my car. In fact I got a speeding ticket. The extra torque made it feel much closer to the GTI in speed than my current 200hp A4. And the handling is better, too, than my B7 model.

On the plus side, with all the snow we get here in Erie, PA, the Quattro system has been a real life saver for me over the years. But I went for the GTI anyway. For me, I was willing to give up the Quattro, as well as some features like Homelink, rain sensing wipers, and leather, to get the livelier performance and tighter handling of the GTI. Any way you slice it, the GTI is a better drive in good weather, handles well enough in the snow, and is only marginally less comfortable and refined than the A4. The GTI has an emotional appeal you just don't get from the Audi. Hell, I'd have bought the GTI for the steering wheel alone. If I could have plumped for the S4 I might have picked that, but against a 2.0T I'd take the GTI every time...

-V

blaqkink

Ready to race!
Glad you started this thread, as I was about to start one (except GTI vs 1-2 yr old used A4). The base A4 is probably not as athletic as the GTI, and not as quick since it weighs more and uses the same size engine and power output. Prob a little more plush ride, being a luxury sport sedan. I'm pretty much set on GTI, since I cant seem to find anything in its price range with same features and out-of-the-box fun... plus the utility/flexibility of a hatch

^^ and yes the A5 is sex on wheels

thanks Mk6golfer this is exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to know.

and I did see on APRs website that the A4 produces greater torque,.. so it should make up for the lack of hp and greater weight compared to the GTI.

Has anyone coincidently had the chance to actually drive both of them stage 1 by any chance? haha

Shinster

Ready to race!
My brother-in-law drives a 2010 A4 and I just picked up my mkVI GTI. From what I can tell, they are very similar. Both provide the sportiness and kick early in the RPM range and still have that refined smoothness. My opinion is that they are very similar except:

GTI = a little more sportier
A4 = a little more luxurious

blaqkink

Ready to race!
My brother-in-law drives a 2010 A4 and I just picked up my mkVI GTI. From what I can tell, they are very similar. Both provide the sportiness and kick early in the RPM range and still have that refined smoothness. My opinion is that they are very similar except:

GTI = a little more sportier
A4 = a little more luxurious

thanks! :thumbup:

jrusoff

I was in exactly this situation last week. I bought the GTI. I was really torn because I wanted AWD. But the GTI is just much more fun and a much better deal. I was shopping a used 2007 A4 with auto against the manual GTI. Very different cars, and I decided the A4 felt too heavy and "old man" for me :)
JR