GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 06-19-2017, 07:23 PM   #1
Deeno11
Ready to race!

Drives: MK6 GTI UG
GTI slight rattle

Hey guys. I have a 2012 GTI. Two weeks ago I had a CTS 3 inch downpipe installed in my car, which I'm really enjoying lol a few days ago, I was leaving for work in the morning and when I pulled out of my drive way I heard a small rattling sound coming from underneath the car. Figured maybe my downpipe clamp had come loose. Nope. She was good. So I can't figure it out for the life of me. It happens only at low decibels and as soon as I pass 10 miles an hour or so it goes away. It's seems to be rattling only when moving slowing forward. I'm thinking that this is not a mechanical issue, but just some plastic or a shield of some sort vibrating against something else. Can somebody give me and recommendations? It's driving me crazy. Thank you in advance.
Deeno11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #2
gtiGreateness
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2011 CW GTI Autobahn/DSG
WasteGate rattle, you can check your dealership if its under warranty. Otherwise its a cheap part.. believe be I just fixed mine this past weekend. Best mod you will ever install.....
gtiGreateness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:10 PM   #3
Turbosharef
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 4DR CW MK6 GTI 6MT
i had the waste gate rattle on my last GTI for me it would happen at low speeds or when shifting between gears, the part was only $30 from vw and only took 5 min to install
Turbosharef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #4
KzooGerti
Ready to race!

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG
Found on Amazon for $15. Haven't installed yet, but will soon!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
KzooGerti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:36 PM   #5
Deeno11
Ready to race!

Thanks guys. I agree that this is most likely the culprit. But the rattle really is pretty loud inside the cabin which makes me think it cpuldnbe something else as well.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:22 PM   #6
eldiablo
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: Hebridean Dance interior
where underneath is the rattle coming from? Front / middle / rear? Does it also rattle over bumps? Get under the car and bang the exhaust (when cold) with your hand to see if you can replicate the rattle.

I just fixed a rattle that I lived with for 6 months. Similar symptoms. Turned out the bolt that holds the center-most exhaust hangar to the frame was loose. As soon as I banged on the exhaust pipe I was able find it / fix it. Good luck.

My Journal
eldiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:25 PM   #7
BudgetPhoenix
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 09 GLI
Get under the car and tighten up all your downpipe bolts. And check to make sure heat shields around the exhaust tunnel are not hitting anything. Is fuel line rattle a thing too on the mk6? I know it was for the mkv
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #8
Deeno11
Ready to race!

The noise seems to be coming from the centerunder the cabin which would point to something along the exhaust somewhere. It's a shame trhat I won't be able to get this thing jacked up until Saturday. It should be noted that this noise started 2 weeks after the downpipe installation. But I agree. I think the best thing to do is Jack it up and start from the downpipe check for loose bolts or a heat shield who knows. Maybe it's a heat shield and the wastegate rod. Regardless it is very irritating.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #9
JSwag420
Touring Car Champion

Drives: '12 CSG DSG GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeno11 View Post
The noise seems to be coming from the centerunder the cabin which would point to something along the exhaust somewhere. It's a shame trhat I won't be able to get this thing jacked up until Saturday. It should be noted that this noise started 2 weeks after the downpipe installation. But I agree. I think the best thing to do is Jack it up and start from the downpipe check for loose bolts or a heat shield who knows. Maybe it's a heat shield and the wastegate rod. Regardless it is very irritating.
Next time you hear the noise, hold your thumb on the emergency brake button. I spent a year trying to figure out where a rattle was coming from somewhere in the middle of my car. I even lifted my shift boot to check under there. One day I accidently put my hand on that little button and the rattle stopped. Give this a shot. If this is your rattle, stick a little piece of electrical tape in there or remove the emergency brake and wrap a layer of tape around where you can't see it.
JSwag420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:42 AM   #10
Deeno11
Ready to race!

I wanted to report back to everybody who contributed here. I got the car up on jack stands yesterday to do my DSG service. After I had finished I took the time to inspect the downpipe and exhaust. Nothing is rattling that I can find. I didn't think others the wastegate rattle based on how loud it is inside the cabin (can't hear it outside the car) but I'm pretty sure I've exhausted all possibilities at this point and that has to be it. Definitely not the fuel line. I'm going to try and get my hands on the clip VW has released and see if that solves my problem.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:11 AM   #11
Deeno11
Ready to race!

Here's some audio for you[IMG][/IMG]