GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 06-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #1
tonymk6
Oval Champion

Drives: 2012 CW GTI DSG
Are Cross Member Support Brackets Needed?

So this weekend I drove over a dead raccoon on the highway I was going too fast to react and there was a car in front of me so I couldn't see it from far. Anyways, it hit the cross member support bracket and bent it pretty badly, so now when I drive the exhaust vibrations from idle to 2k rpm make a loud metal on metal rattle right under the car due to the bracket being bent.

My question is, does this bracket need to be screwed on? I figured it was there so that if by some chance the exhaust/downpipe fell off, it would hold onto the support bracket and not hit the floor. My plan is to just take it off and leave it off.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #2
vwrabid
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 11' GTI 2 dr TR
Imo, I think the stock cross member is pretty weak. That said, it's better than nothing. You need something to help with body flex/creaks/squeaks.
I would have pulled over and ran back to the shoulder of the road and kissed that trash panda on the snout for giving me an excuse for nabbing a Unibrace UB 😁
http://unibrace.com/product/series-ub/ub/

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
~ Unitronic Stage 2 ~ R8 coil packs ~ Unitronic intake ~ GFB DV+ ~ Nuespeed intercooler ~ Nuespeed throttle body pipe ~ Nuespeed turbo discharge pipe ~ SPM custom TBE ~ Unibrace XB ~ P3Cars VIDI ~ HPA SHS Coilovers ~ H & R rear sway ~ VMR 701's ~ BFGoodrich Sport Comp 2 ~
vwrabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
jettaglis
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '88 gli, '11 cc, '12 gti
Just bend it straight again
jettaglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:16 PM   #4
Corradoluvher
Oval Champion

Drives: 2013 vw gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwrabid View Post
Imo, I think the stock cross member is pretty weak. That said, it's better than nothing. You need something to help with body flex/creaks/squeaks.
I would have pulled over and ran back to the shoulder of the road and kissed that trash panda on the snout for giving me an excuse for nabbing a Unibrace UB 😁
http://unibrace.com/product/series-ub/ub/

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Lmao
Corradoluvher is offline   Reply With Quote