GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front driver brake compressing in tight turns

mk6_colin

Searched for a while and haven't found anyone else with the same problem, but hoping somebody will be able to give me a little guidance.

It's happened about 4 or 5 times now. When I'm driving highway speeds through tighter corners, on occasion I will feel a quick and tight pull in the front left of the car lasting for about half of a second. It's enough of a pull that if I didn't catch it right away to correct that it could certainly cause an accident :yikes: I've pretty much narrowed it down to the brakes because one of the times it happened I was hit the brakes simultaneously, the pedal almost had a crunchy feel to it. VW couldn't diagnose because it happens fairly rarely, but inspected my brake system and claims that everything is good.

Any advice? :confused: it's a little disconcerting especially after the last instance when I was on a freeway interchange

NolaGTI

Ready to race!
XDS should brake the inside wheel, but in a way that makes the car feel more stable. Not sure if there has ever been a malfunction of the system reported but I'd try and find someone with vagcom, I'm pretty sure you can decrease the XDS or maybe even turn it off. Then you can see if the issue persists.

mk6_colin

Forgot to mention that in all the cases that it's happened except for the one, my feet were completely off of the gas and brakes.

mk6_colin

sounds like the XDS kicked in, but i'm not too sure

XDS should brake the inside wheel, but in a way that makes the car feel more stable. Not sure if there has ever been a malfunction of the system reported but I'd try and find someone with vagcom, I'm pretty sure you can decrease the XDS or maybe even turn it off. Then you can see if the issue persists.

Thank you guys, just really have been at a loss as to what it could be. I'll look into it and see if it could be something to do with the XDS, however it is consistently the driver front wheel, regardless of what direction I am turning in.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Definitely not XDS, but most certainly ESC. ;)

Why this? Guess your tires don't all have the same rolling circumference.
That means different rotational speed of the four wheel, affecting ESC.
Then ESC thinks there is reason to intervene. Others and me suffered
from the same issue after replacing only one or two tires.

Are your tires all same type, age and tread depth?

mk6_colin

Definitely not XDS, but most certainly ESC. ;)

Why this? Guess your tires don't all have the same rolling circumference.
That means different rotational speed of the four wheel, affecting ESC.
Then ESC thinks there is reason to intervene. Others and me suffered
from the same issue after replacing only one or two tires.

Are your tires all same type, age and tread depth?

They are not. I think you may have solved my issue. I've had to replace a few tires since purchasing the car and I didn't do all 4 at once. I had no idea this could even cause an issue on a 2wd car! Thank you :thumbup:

alvinli217

Ready to race!
I think it sounds like a bad ABS sensor

have you tried scanning the ECU and see if there is any fault code?