GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

bryngutierrez46

Ready to race!
I was updating from Stg 1 v1.3(?) to Stg 1 v2.1. So far feels quite different, smoother power for sure. Less of that donkey-kick.

PureMS mandate an oil change when they do the tensioner. So basically I don't think you will get it done for less than roughly ~$750. PureMS do top notch work from experiences with my GTI, my wife's TT and a friends Audi 1.8T wagon.
Ohhh okay yeah seems torun a lil better with the new update lol and thanks man can you send me there info in a message ?

AnchorsAweigh

Go Kart Champion
Just picked my GTI up from the shop, both tensioners replaced. My car no longer sounds like a damn tractor. The chains are so much quieter now.

loopless1

Ready to race!
Does anyone understand the engineering behind the tensioner. If you look at my photo ( repeated again) it's clear the teeth are worn from right (bad) to left(fine). Is that how its meant to work? Are the teeth sacrificial so that as one wears out, another takes it's place? Or once 4 teeth are worn, is the 'end nigh'?

zrickety

The Fixer
They are meant to be that way. Slide out and lock, they only move in one direction. It will come out a tooth as the chain stretches or parts wear. Looks normal. I think people are seeing oil blockage or broken tabs (the one that holds the teeth).

loopless1

Ready to race!
Great info.
So the failures are due to something else entirely different that just wear on some of the teeth - as I think some people looked at that wear and got worried given my 'low' mileage.

JohnoBurr

Ready to race!
I'm getting ready to order the new tensioner, but I'm curious if it's really necessary. My build date is 2/12, how likely am I to have the revised tensioner? I see that some cars with build dates in 2012 have the new tensioner, but they might be just on late year 2012's.

Don®

Ready to race!
I just recently decided to have mine serviced and have been unsuccessful in clearing the Camshaft A (Intake): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced) code. Car starts and idles perfectly fine until I begin driving it where then when in load it begins misfiring and running rough. Come to stop at idle and it idles fine. I'm completely stumped. Anyone experience the same issue? The chain has been re-timed 4 times with no success. The solenoid has been replaced and the cam sensor as well. I'm beginning to think that there may be an issue with the stator and vane mechanism in the cam adjuster; although, this has never been touched.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
I just recently decided to have mine serviced and have been unsuccessful in clearing the Camshaft A (Intake): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced) code. Car starts and idles perfectly fine until I begin driving it where then when in load it begins misfiring and running rough. Come to stop at idle and it idles fine. I'm completely stumped. Anyone experience the same issue? The chain has been re-timed 4 times with no success. The solenoid has been replaced and the cam sensor as well. I'm beginning to think that there may be an issue with the stator and vane mechanism in the cam adjuster; although, this has never been touched.

Taking a stab in the dark, but that's the type of code i'd assume would be from a bad n205. The intake camshaft variator.

zrickety

The Fixer
Who is timing it? Sounds like something is out of place.

12bluemk6

Ready to race!
I'm getting ready to order the new tensioner, but I'm curious if it's really necessary. My build date is 2/12, how likely am I to have the revised tensioner? I see that some cars with build dates in 2012 have the new tensioner, but they might be just on late year 2012's.
Hey man, I also have an early build date I think 3/12... Look up humblemechanic on YouTube he has a video describing how you can easily check the tensioner and whether or not it is the updated version. I plan on checking mine this weekend. T25 to unscrew belly pan, and all you need is an extendable mirror. Warm up car and use flathead to remove black plug (very carefully) that is found on the timing cover

Uni Stage 2 | SPM DP | Magnaflow CB | S3 IC | 034 Mounts | HPA Red Puck | FX350 Kit | BSH Intake | Rev D DV | DG SS

JohnoBurr

Ready to race!
Hey man, I also have an early build date I think 3/12... Look up humblemechanic on YouTube he has a video describing how you can easily check the tensioner and whether or not it is the updated version. I plan on checking mine this weekend. T25 to unscrew belly pan, and all you need is an extendable mirror. Warm up car and use flathead to remove black plug (very carefully) that is found on the timing cover

Uni Stage 2 | SPM DP | Magnaflow CB | S3 IC | 034 Mounts | HPA Red Puck | FX350 Kit | BSH Intake | Rev D DV | DG SS

Thanks man. You'll have to let me know what you find out. If you don't have the new one it's probably a done deal that I don't either.

mfractal

Ready to race!

Either it's the N205 like erball says or it's not timed correctly.

Ask them to follow this procedure to check timing :

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
This seems to be an issue across VAG. My father's 2010 A5 convertible just shit the bed. He's retired and lives in Florida and barely drives the car. Car has 20k miles and dealer said engine is toast due to skipped timing. He'll probably take legal action.