GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

rear calipers rubbing against the rotors

k3sh4v

Passed Driver's Ed
so when i went down to the dealership for my 50k service, he did a multi point inspection and noticed that the rear shocks were leaking and everything else was fine (brakes/tire-wear/tread et cetera).
His quote was $850 to replace the shocks (parts and labor) and also mention would include the wheel alignment that would be required
However, I have done my research and noticed the shocks and springs were not together and I can replace the shocks by itself without moving the springs, so I wouldn't be needing the wheel alignment and if i did it myself it would cost me $150 (I purchased the Koni oranges on TireRack).
In the meantime I was driving my GTI to commute to work and back while waiting for my shocks to get delivered and I heard a squeal when I brake slowly approaching zero vehicle speed. When I checked my rear brakes to my surprise I found this
IMG_2315 (1).JPG
I am surprised that the service guys did not notice that during the mutlipoint inspection. I am confused as to why the calipers are eating away the rotors. Could a failed suspension cause such a damage?
I did not check the extent of the damage on the inner side of the calipers?
Any troubleshooting tips?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I can replace the shocks by itself without moving the springs

It's pretty tight/more difficult to do it that way...which we ALREADY discussed in your other thread...(posts 24 & 25): :rolleyes:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105748&page=2

Not too sure when you had an alignment last, but it might be a good idea regardless after you replace the shocks.

As for your "inspection" :rolleyes:..take that with a huge grain of salt.

IF the caliper was dragging against the rotor (hard to tell in that pic), that means either the brake pads are worn all the way down or the caliper pins could be stuck and need to be lubed up

And, the shocks have nothing to do with the brakes

zrickety

The Fixer
Time for brake pads and maybe some grease on those caliper pins.