GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 08-20-2017, 06:42 PM   #1
maine-mk6
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2010 4dr MK6 6MT
Steering wheel alignment

I've noticed that my steering wheel isn't aligned with the wheels. If I make the steering wheel straight visually to the driver the car drifts right. Is there a way to correct this?
maine-mk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
JSwag420
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '12 CSG DSG GTI
Bad alignment. Have the car realigned.
JSwag420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:16 PM   #3
wmssbr10
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2010 GTI
Adjust the tie rods. There is a video in the DIY section. Just did it this past weekend as I had the same issue.
wmssbr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #4
JoeCap
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmssbr10 View Post
Adjust the tie rods. There is a video in the DIY section. Just did it this past weekend as I had the same issue.
I would advise against this. Unless you have an alignment rack in your garage, just take it somewhere and get it realigned.
JoeCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #5
piesGTI
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2012 Candy White GTI - Cirilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCap View Post
I would advise against this. Unless you have an alignment rack in your garage, just take it somewhere and get it realigned.
This, all day. Let the professionals take this job, they have the proper equipment.

There's too much that can get worn prematurely by trying to do this yourself.
piesGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
zrickety
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
You can try a shop alignment...but if the wheel has been this way and the car tracks straight you can adjust both tie rods the same amount and it won't negatively change the alignment. For example, you say when the wheel is straight it goes right...you need to bring both wheels to left...so you could turn the right tie rod OUT about a couple flats (maybe quarter turn) and turn the left tie rod IN a couple flats (the same amount) and alignment will be the same with the wheel more centered. It took me a couple tries but I got it closer than 2 shops that worked on the car. Using chalk marks under there will help you keep track of where it was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:34 PM   #7
Short Bus
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '10 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCap View Post
This is a really easy thing to do right if you're comfortable with tasks like changing your own oil or spark plugs.

If you want to be fancy buy a pair of $60 toe plates and make sure the measurements are the same after you make your adjustments. If you want to be cheap use some square metal tubing from a hardware store with some bungee cords (to hold tubing against wheel), bubble levels (to keep tubing level), and tape measures.

As long as you don't mess with the rear alignment and the thrust angle is good from a prior alignment you can't do much damage.
Short Bus is offline   Reply With Quote