GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Mods (interior & exterior modifications)

Old 08-23-2017, 02:10 AM   #1
Proski11zz

Drives: 2010 VW Golf 1.6 TDI
Headlight change

Hi there,
I'm looking to change my headlight unit and brake light unit from the standard Golf MK6 TDI ones to the Golf R MK6 ones. looking at them they will obviously have no issue with fitting but will I experience issues because the Golf R ones have LED's on them? if so then will there be a way around it?
Proski11zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:08 AM   #2
JSwag420
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '12 CSG DSG GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proski11zz View Post
Hi there,
I'm looking to change my headlight unit and brake light unit from the standard Golf MK6 TDI ones to the Golf R MK6 ones. looking at them they will obviously have no issue with fitting but will I experience issues because the Golf R ones have LED's on them? if so then will there be a way around it?
If you buy OEM LED headlight/taillights, the headlights won't work unless you retrofit them due to the fact that they are HID only headlights. The taillights will work, but they'll show a bulb out error on your dashboard. You would need to code it to remove it.

If you go the aftermarket headlight and taillight route like me, you won't have any of these issues. You can get replicas (pretty similar) to the OEM headlights which are plug and play. Same goes for the taillights. The depo tails are identical to the OEM ones. They both have resistors built in to them which prevents any error codes from showing up on the dash.
JSwag420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:28 AM   #3
Proski11zz

Drives: 2010 VW Golf 1.6 TDI
Great thanks for the reply, where would be the best place for me to order some after market headlights? i live in the uk
Proski11zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:43 AM   #4
JSwag420
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '12 CSG DSG GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proski11zz View Post
Great thanks for the reply, where would be the best place for me to order some after market headlights? i live in the uk
I got mine on eBay (not OEM style, but I love them)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-2010-2...JY1Isj&vxp=mtr

These are the OEM style (not indentical, but similar)
http://opdparts.com/index.php/volksw...led-black.html

Based on where you are, just look around. I'm sure you can find these that ship from closer to you.
JSwag420 is offline   Reply With Quote