GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I Spend Too Much !@#$ing Money On My Car

P1NDLESK1N

Ready to race!
Hi I'm P1NDLESK1N, I'm always online and I never post anything. :iono:

I've always meant to start a build thread but I never got around to it. Thousands of dollars in aftermarket shit later, I figure its better late then never. Maybe I'll clean this up thread up with a mod list and pictures that don't suck, but for now its a messy list of things that probably came in chronological order. Maybe.

I picked up my car September 8, 2010.

A 2011 VW GTI packaged with DSG transmission, xenons, sunroof, and cloth seats. I didn't give a fuck about the sunroof, but I think this was the first year where everything was packaged together instead of choosing separate options.

Here's a sweet picture I took with my cellphone after I picked it up and drove it to work. Believe it or not, I'm not a photographer.

Sometime in 2011 I lowered it with a set of H&R Super Sports, along with some 10/15mm spacers to make the stock Detroits look super cool. I think I had installed the LED tail lights, intake, and downpipe by then too.

Then I swung by Elite Motorsports to get my APR Stage 2 tune. Big improvement over the stock power I was used to. After picking my car up they offered me a booth spot for Waterfest 17. Initially I was on the fence about going, but having free passes and prime parking I couldn't say no.

I also Installed the Golf R front bumper, grills, headlights, and DRLs. Which was quickly overshadowed by ECS Tuning and their full Golf R conversion a mere 20 feet from our booth.

In January 2012 I was able to snag a hood with the notch already filled from Euro89 when he parted his car out. I've seen so many uneven and just plain shitty notch fills so finding one done so well was sweet. Really, he did a fuckin awesome job on this hood.

Then I bagged it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/62790175@N03/sets/72157644337577392/

In October 2012 I contacted Rat4Life from VWVortex, one of the best and reasonably priced air ride installers in the tri state area. He does everything on jack stands in his two car garage in NJ. Dude has thousands of photos of the installs he does on his Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rat4life/

In July 2013 I decided to go APR Stage3+.
I ordered APR's turbo kit, intercooler, and turbo back exhaust along with Integrated Engineering's connecting rods.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/62790175@N03/with/14048931033

While my car was getting its big boy turbo installed, my 3SDM 0.06's arrived. 18x9.5 -40 all around. I needed ~5mm spacers to clear the sway bar brackets on my front airlift struts, but I just reused the 10mm's I already had up front for my stock Detroits and Sparcos.

That's almost everything I've had done up until recently. I left out a few different exhausts I've gone through like Mandrel Bending Solutions' turboback, Magnaflow's catback and a Raceland downpipe, but lets just pretend that I wrote about them.

I'll be updating this thread as I continue to dump money into this car, at least until I total it, or it explodes, or both.

P1NDLESK1N

Ready to race!
TLDR: I bought and installed H&R sway bars, SPM engine mounts, WALK kit, and Tyrol Sport's ridged subframe collar kit.

I scooped up the packaged deal of H&R sways from ECS Tuning a few weeks ago, 28mm front and 24mm rear. I decided on H&R mainly for their non-squeak urethane/teflon brushings. While the front feels awesome I definitely could have gotten a larger rear bar, ride quality be damned. Maybe I'll grab APRs bigger bar sometime in the future unless there are other large rear bars out there.

I also grabbed the full set of engine and transmission mounts/inserts from Steve Petty Motorsports. Ordered directly off their website around 3:00pm and it shipped by 4:00pm, awesome. I can't compare them to others, but I remember reading reviews that their's were one of the softer out there. I'd consider them pretty close to broken in, and theres definitely noticeable vibrations in the low RPMs or in reverse. I don't mind and luckily the woman doesn't really care, but those with sensitive wives or babies steer clear of engine mounts and go buy some fake carbon fiber vinyl or something.

I installed the Whiteline Anti Lift Kit as well but with such a dramatic difference with the sway bars and everything else I had done all at once, its difficult to pinpoint what caused the improvement. I suppose the steering feel in turns improved, slightly heavier and more precise.

And last and probably least, I installed the Tyrol Sport ridged subframe locking collar whatever they call it. I never had any issues with my subframe knocking during turns or anything, so there was nothing to fix on that end. But It does keep camber even up front which is nice, and with no wiggle room for the subframe it provides a nice piece of mind.

I plan to do a couple little things throughout next week, and hopefully something big before the end of May. :cool:

gti_kev

Go Kart Champion

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
OH wow. I think it looked amazing until it was stanced. Not my taste, but I can appreciate the work that goes into them. You definitely have some nice work into it! Props!

You bought your car on me bday! I should do that...

JhnR

Banned
OH wow. I think it looked amazing until it was stanced. Not my taste, but I can appreciate the work that goes into them. You definitely have some nice work into it! Props!

You bought your car on me bday! I should do that...

Wow not stanced? Go back to OT. You used to be someone.

P1NDLESK1N

Ready to race!
So I decided to remove the stupid eyelids and lamin-x on my headlights. I didn't bother heating it up, so when I pulled them off it left a complete coverage of sticky residue on the headlights. I actually thought it removed perfectly until I touched it and left a big sticky fingerprint on it.

I hoped Goo Gone would remove it, nope. So I proceeded to curse a lot and rub the residue off the headlight with my hands. Latex gloves would just tear, and any rags or cloth wouldn't grip the residue enough. Took like 30 minutes and 3 blisters to remove it all.

So remember to heat up your fucking lamin-x before removal. :mad0259: