GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WRX Limited stage II vs MK6 stage II k04

SyDiko

Ready to race!
^^^

I got the tune, k04, and downpipes together. The tune was done after the installations - assuming it's tuned to the turbo.

Dude you might want to check whats actually installed and have that tune checked too.

and, are you still running on the OEM clutch too? Cause I'm pretty sure an APR Stage 2 tune would mangle it, especially after launching your car on a drag strip.

Last edited:

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Alot of questions on here about the setup...

IDK why people think if you slap a K04 on youre automatically going to pull 12s; tires, mounts, and not to mention driver mod... sure there are k04 cars turning 11s but it takes work and right conditions.

I have never taken my mk6 to the drag strip. I have told myself that if i did id be willing to bet i dont get anything better than 12.9; despite being 350lbs lighter and FBO k04...

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!

IDK why people think if you slap a K04 on youre automatically going to pull 12s; tires, mounts, and not to mention driver mod... sure there are k04 cars turning 11s but it takes work and right conditions.

I have never taken my mk6 to the drag strip. I have told myself that if i did id be willing to bet i dont get anything better than 12.9; despite being 350lbs lighter and FBO k04...

So what exactly is needed to be able to run low 12s or even break into 11s? Obviously weather will definitely help. But can a manual transmission even break into 11s on a k04?

urbanevil

Ready to race!

I think its more veteran K04 guys (who have tires,mounts,FBO etc) who have ran 12s questioning. His trap speed was kinda meh, and the car just didnt seem right. Could be a driver mod tho, who knows.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
So what exactly is needed to be able to run low 12s or even break into 11s? Obviously weather will definitely help. But can a manual transmission even break into 11s on a k04?

Don't know of a manual that has broken into 11s on k04 but doesn't meant it's not possible.

The real answer to question is tires and driver mod for getting in 12s. Alot of guys with those times are running slicks or high end rcomps.

But I think there is this idea of "if I go k04 I can do _____"

There are alot of mods needed just to get it to grip let alone run a time in the 12s

I think its more veteran K04 guys (who have tires,mounts,FBO etc) who have ran 12s questioning. His trap speed was kinda meh, and the car just didnt seem right. Could be a driver mod tho, who knows.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hard to say for sure without a close look at the car for sure

zef

Drag Racing Champion
It comes down to traction and the driver. If you don't have either of those things then the power is irrelevant. As others have mentioned, things like motor/subframe mounts and good tires are all necessities.

A KO4 car is more than capable of doing 12's all day long. Low 12's with meth or race gas.

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
It comes down to traction and the driver. If you don't have either of those things then the power is irrelevant. As others have mentioned, things like motor/subframe mounts and good tires are all necessities.

A KO4 car is more than capable of doing 12's all day long. Low 12's with meth or race gas.

This ^

Traction is the big one..... Specially for me since im DSG and the car will shift flawlessly every time.... its just launching and maintaining grip low down.

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
Good to know. I was a little worried since i went from stock to k04 that i wouldnt break 12s. But I would love to get into high 11s that would be awesome.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
There are alot of mods needed just to get it to grip let alone run a time in the 12s

For me, those Mods are like the universal prereqs for tuning an Mk6 and even more so when upgrading your turbo. That is, unless you buy one of those special edition Mk6s, why bother going K04, if you're going to stay on the OEM rubber!?

The first upgrade to my GTI were tires and suspension (more grip, traction, and stability.)

Igor1

Dude you might want to check whats actually installed and have that tune checked too.

and, are you still running on the OEM clutch too? Cause I'm pretty sure an APR Stage 2 tune would mangle it, especially after launching your car on a drag strip.

UPDATE:
Yes, it's tuned to the k04 and my GTI's DSG.

The only reason I could think of not getting a better time is not doing launch control. :(

SyDiko

Ready to race!
UPDATE:
Yes, it's tuned to the k04 and my GTI's DSG.

The only reason I could think of not getting a better time is not doing launch control. :(

Your slip is starting to make a bit more sense now. Do you know if the guy in the WRX also didn't AWD launch?

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Not to mention you are rocking those heavy Detroit rims.

I'm honestly thinking lowering rim size and something light weight as opposed to OEM VW rims. I'm on Lagunas currently which are lighter than the Detroits but even those are heavy. I believe Lagunas are 23lbs each compared to 27-28 lbs for the Detroits.