GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 GTI stalling

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
I've had this happen to me three times in the first ~1000 miles. Doubtful it's related to octane because the last two times occurred with quality 93 gas. The first two times, the engine quickly regained a stable idle on its own, but the last time, I had to press the gas slightly to bring the RPMs up to normal. This doesn't bother me much considering it doesn't seem to be a huge issue, but if it gets worse, I will bring it to the dealer to fix under warranty.

nekkehd

Ready to race!
shoulda gotten the manual

VWTN

Ready to race!
2011 GTI DSG owner:

Happened the day I brought it home, twice. Unsettling is a good word. Hasn't happened since (disclaimer: I've only had the car 48hours as of right now) but definitely not something I was expecting.

On the 3rd crank I tapped the gas a little and it hung on. It seemed like a low idle. Car had 302miles when I bought it (about 100 were transporting to the dealership) drove it home the odometer read 375 when it happened to me.

sethmark

Passed Driver's Ed
VW is aware of the problem and is actively working for a
solution. In my car it was a problem I could nearly cause at will. I suspect it's computer related.

ikerumba

I purchased my 2011 GT1/DSG/Autobahn /keyless_start on April 11.

Symptoms:
Start is very inconsistent and feels very weak.
When I pull out of the driveway, I put in reverse and take my foot off the brakes, and sometimes the car doesn't move unless I give it gas. Other times the engine stops all together after backing out a couple yards. Other times, it is totally fine.

Took it it to dealer on June 13th and they found a fault in their diags and they replaced part called Terminal 15 Relay #J329.

I do not think that fixed it cause it now is showing the same symptoms again. I am planning on taking back to dealer next week.

Odometer as of today is 2700.

Wicked2

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm in the same boat here... I have the manual with keyless start. I have to hold the starter button in till I get a good crank. If I just tap the button it tries to start but sputters and usually stalls.

Car is 8 days old, 500 miles.

On my wifes car (IS350), you just hit the start button and get a perfect start every time.

Either way I can live with it. The leaking washer fluid on the rear window is driving me nuts though. :(

ShadowBlueGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
I posted a topic about this a few weeks ago. I thought maybe turning the A/C off before I started the car was the cause of the problem?

abmGTI

I have a manual and this happened to me in my parent's driveway which has an incline. Maybe if the car is on an incline, the fuel pump is not properly primed.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
SO I have had my new car for less then a month and I have had a problem intermittently about 8 times so far.

Basically when I am starting the car it will sometimes start idling very low 500rpm then stall.

I have also had the above happen and I have hit the gas to bring the rpms up but shortly after driving I have tried to accelerate and the car is in neutral as the revs just go up freely. Changing it from Park to drive resolved this.

Do I have a problem with my DSG? I first experienced the stalling a couple of days after picking up the car.

Mine does this too and no one can figure out why. I give it some gas when it is trying to die and it fixes itself. Happens pretty often, but not often enough for the dealer to see it happen. :(

sethmark

Passed Driver's Ed
Again, I know for CERTAIN that VW has the problem on their radar.

Question for those that are having the problem, does it seem to be only when the car has been driven then has sat for a couple of hours or is the problem random?

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion

Question for those that are having the problem, does it seem to be only when the car has been driven then has sat for a couple of hours or is the problem random?

Not cold or hot but always after a few minutes to maybe a few hours after sitting it does it.

btvlss

It always happened when the car was neither hot nor cold. The last time it happened to me I drove for about 5 minutes, shut the car off to go into a store, and when I came back out to start it the rpms were hovering around 300 for a few seconds before it died.
Every time it was a similar story. The frequency of it occurring increased with time. During the 3rd visit to the service department they were able to replicate it many times and it even did it on start up after they "fixed" it and I came to pick it up!

sethmark

Passed Driver's Ed
Seems to be somehow related to a heat soaking. My wife's 2010 Passat is the same basic car (DSG and 2.0T) and it runs like a scalded dog. She's got 22k miles on it and its never seen the dealer for anything but oil.

Last edited: