GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 05-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
mongo
Oval Newbie

Drives: '10 CSG GTI
To DSG, or not to DSG.

As I anxiously await the time when we in of the Colonies can order our new cars, I find myself curious about the transmission I should order. By nature, I'm a manual transmission kind of guy. After reading all of the glowing reviews of the DSG though, I am at least curious about the evil realm of autmatics.

So what does everyone else think? (It's not like we're all too busy driving our MKVI's to weigh in on the topic)

Are there other manual transmission people considering a change? Are there manual Euros who have made the change? If so, how do you feel about your switch?
mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
vDubr
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: MkVI GTI
It's a matter of preference. Both transmissions are completely different, but equally great. I would suggest test-driving both and decide for yourself.

I've owned both (R32 w/DSG, Mk2 TT 3.2 Quattro w/6MT) and enjoyed both. Of course, the 6MT gives you a more complete driving experience, but the technology behind DSG is impressive. The lightning-quick and smooth gear changes were a lot of fun, especially with the paddles. The convenience of being able to throw it in D during heavy traffic was cool, too.
vDubr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
petersydney

Drives: Golf TSI 1.4 118 DSG
I have a golf 114 tsi (twin-charged) with the 7-speed DSG. There is some discussion already in this thread.

In short, I love the DSG, it's the first acceptable automatic I've driven. BUT it is an automatic, a manual will always give you more control. I needed an auto because I'm driving a lot now in slow traffic.

Only way to know if it's for you is to give it a test drive, and try the "S" setting.

And by the way, the tsi 114 does not have paddles, just the shift lever. I don't know about the GTI.
petersydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #4
blue2th
Ready to race!

Drives: MKV GTI BMP
having driven and owned both the manual and DSG - i swear by the DSG.
it gives you the flexibility of the manual whilst allowing you to get thru peak hour traffic without a sore left leg.

it is definitely not the SAME as driving a manual, in that you still can't brake and use the throttle at the same time, or use the cluth/gears to your liking but a flick of the switch and you're in the next gear up/down allowing later braking and earlier take off.
blue2th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
CoccoBill
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: Mk6 1.4 TSi DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by petersydney View Post
And by the way, the tsi 114 does not have paddles, just the shift lever. I don't know about the GTI.
If by "tsi 114" you mean the 160hp 1.4 twincharge, the paddles come as an option together with the multifunction steering wheel, at least over here in northern europe. Although, after the first 2 weeks or so of playing around with them I've hardly touched them.
CoccoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
GOLF 4 LIFE
Rally Car Champion

Drives: Mk 7 GOLF and MK7 GTI
I plan on buying a MK6 GTI as soon as I can order one here in NA. This I hear should be late summer or early fall. And will be the DSG 6 speed. Hope that they have all the bugs worked out by the 2010 model year.
GOLF 4 LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
TorSumstad
Oval Newbie

Drives: VW Golf Mk6 2.0TDI 4motion
If you are thinking about performing a SW upgrade on you engine there are limits on DSG transmissions.

7speed DSG : 250nm (185 ft-lb)
6speed DSG : 350nm (258 ft-lb)
TorSumstad is offline   Reply With Quote