GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

License Plate Holes

joenuke1

Pay extra to get personalized plates and rock them! Here in Texas we have around 50 different plate styles to choose from.

...Sent from my phone with typos...

In NY we have to pay $30 a year to have custom plates. I have them on one car. NY LOVES to jam you for every penny.

GTITX1

Ready to race!
Stinks how many dealers do this. Dealership happened to get my plates in while my gti was being looked at for a water pump failure issue. My salesman called me and asked me if I wanted the plate mounted on the front or not, because some people don't want them on the front, I said no, and he just threw the second plate in my trunk. I think some dealerships think it is a liability for them if they don't install the plate in a state where it is the law, but it is nice when they leave it up to the customer :)

I don't know how it is in other states, but I have driven in Texas for many years with no front plate, and I would say 1/4 of cars I see don't have them. I think it is something the police will use of they think you are up to something else and want to pull you over anyway, but I have probably driven by hundreds of cops over the years and never once have been pulled over for it.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Stinks how many dealers do this. Dealership happened to get my plates in while my gti was being looked at for a water pump failure issue. My salesman called me and asked me if I wanted the plate mounted on the front or not, because some people don't want them on the front, I said no, and he just threw the second plate in my trunk. I think some dealerships think it is a liability for them if they don't install the plate in a state where it is the law, but it is nice when they leave it up to the customer :)

I don't know how it is in other states, but I have driven in Texas for many years with no front plate, and I would say 1/4 of cars I see don't have them. I think it is something the police will use of they think you are up to something else and want to pull you over anyway, but I have probably driven by hundreds of cops over the years and never once have been pulled over for it.

For California you need to sign paper work to state whether or not your car was correctly delivered with a front plate.Of course you can still state that you don't want a front plate if your car wasn't drilled. Unfortunately those are hard to come by. I have no clue why they couldn't have made a removable front plate bracket. My suv has it and the top of the frame just hooks on and two bolts screw in at the bottom of the bumper.

flyboy34

Passed Driver's Ed
Bumper

Having been on vacation, I am just getting a chance to read responses. Obviously I would have preferred no drilling, but did not catch the porter in time and the damage was done.

What is lousy, is the fact, that not only are there two 5/16" dia. holes in the bumper to mount the license frame, but the kid then proceeded to screw in the plate so hard that I have two small screw holes in the bumper.

I will be talking to the dealer in attempt to see if there is any equitable solution to this.

As a final note does anyone have an estimate for a new front bumper, painted.

Thanks for the responses.

I do not drive in the city and as such am not worried about mounting the plate. I am concerned with repairing/replacing the bumper.

cwGTIautobahn

Ready to race!
Explane how upset you are to the dealer and ask them to swap out the bumper with a car coming in that has not been through PDI. ( I did this)

Much better than a fix and respray.

hey just noticed you are in Spring Grove, IL. I work for Intermatic as a rep here in CA. we are based in Spring Grove. Back in the day everybody that lived there worked for them!

Best of luck to you.

flyboy34

Passed Driver's Ed
Explane how upset you are to the dealer and ask them to swap out the bumper with a car coming in that has not been through PDI. ( I did this)

Much better than a fix and respray.

hey just noticed you are in Spring Grove, IL. I work for Intermatic as a rep here in CA. we are based in Spring Grove. Back in the day everybody that lived there worked for them!

Best of luck to you.

Thanks I'll need it.

I lived in Crystal Lake for about 20 yrs and moved to Spring Grove about a year ago.

Less than 5 minutes from the Intermatic plant.

cwGTIautobahn

Ready to race!
Too funny! Many employes Live in Crystal Lake.

Hey if you ever find yourself by the building take a snapshot of your car in front and post it. I'd get a kick out of that.

copizza

Ready to race!
As requested, here are the pics of the Swift Plate Holder. This is the non-powered version which runs $60.00.
Here are my thoughts:
Positives
1) Easy to install, took 15 minutes. Car jacks made it easy.
2) Since the whole goal is to keep a plate off of the bumper, I think it certainly does the job.

Negatives
1) Wish that the plate holder was more discreet when the plate is retracted under the car. Based on the the design of the VW bumper, the plate bracket must be placed a little forward which, as you can see sticks out a bit.

Going to play with it some more today. Also, the plate on the car is from an old car so I understand it should be on the back.